Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

tovli

US: Diagnosis affect Insurance?

tovli

I am 68 and have UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage insurance.  

Is there any reason to avoid an official “prediabetes” diagnosis?  I’ve spent a bunch on meter and test strips over the last two months and figured out I am going to need to continue testing various foods and portions, so I am considering pursuing going “on the record”

Advice?

adiantum

Welcome to the forum tovli,

I'm not sure how you will find a doctor that believes in "pre "  as many  see an A1c 6.6 or over as  diabetes.

Here in Australia, I believe the only disadvantage  is that my drivers licence is tagged as diabetic.

This could affect me legally should I have a serious accident with a low or really high blood glucose.

The reasoning is that I should know my levels before getting in the car.

If I was to be taking meds for it like metformin or insulin etc then I'd need a doctors certificate each time I renewed my license.

I get super cheap test strips gov subsidised  because Ive been Dx but I believe you get cheap ones from walmart.

If you suspect diabetes then why not go on a low carb high fat diet  now?

Theres many here that will give helpful advice.

Dowling
47 minutes ago, tovli said:

I am 68 and have UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage insurance.  

Is there any reason to avoid an official “prediabetes” diagnosis?  I’ve spent a bunch on meter and test strips over the last two months and figured out I am going to need to continue testing various foods and portions, so I am considering pursuing going “on the record”

Advice?

Has your doctor told you that you are pre-diabetic? Has he/she prescribed anything for it? If not I wouldn't volunteer that info. My opinion only and I don't live in the USA so I don't know that much about insurance  but I assume that adding a preexisting condition may change things. If it were me I'd look at all the pros and cons before making a decision

meyery2k

Welcome!

I would avoid a dx of diabetes or even pre-diabetes.  It affects pricing for health insurance, life insurance, and can make getting certain licensing more difficult.  With a LCHF diet, I have been able to keep myself at non-diabetic fasting and a1C for nearly 5 years with exercise and diet.  Unfortunately, they don't take diabetes off the chart.

Walmart has a Relion Prime meter and fairly inexpensive strips.  Once you get everything dialed in you likely won't have to test so much.

tovli
5 hours ago, Dowling said:

Has your doctor told you that you are pre-diabetic?

No.  Doc has not been concerned about my slowly rising fasting glucose over the years, (101, then 103, then 106, and this year 110), or even my wife’s 113 with 6.1 A1c.  (Love our doc, but I thought we should be concerned.)

Wife and I decided on our own to create a personalized “clean”, “lower-carb” diet loosely based on the first steps of “The FatBurn Fix”, and then it morphed into a food=BloodGlucose science experiment with 1 hr target of <140 and 2 hr target of <120.  We both have lost about 8% weight.  Wife is happy to need new pants, but now wants me to stop losing (I’m at BMI of 24 now.)

Sunday was my 68 birthday, and the celebration was “eat in the car” half a Jon Smith Italian Steak sandwich (with the nasty white bread roll), divine fries, and a cherry coke (estimate 110g net carbs) followed by 1hr and 2hr blood testing “party”.  My 1hr was 217 and the 2hr came in at 179, so I am suspecting I am probably “prediabetic” or “max-normal” if there is no such thing as prediabetes.

We’re back to <100g net carbs a day, spaced out to stay under the targets (140, 120) and swearing off anything that proves too much.

And reading, reading, reading.

Edited by tovli

adiantum

I'm impressed in your taking this serious now as it will go towards a healthier years to come.

A non diabetic person would not have a BG reading of 179 2hr pp

Reading is great... try blood sugar 101

If you are still getting high readings after a day of <100g a day . it could be something else happening like type 1.5 or late onset type 1,  so do be diligent in testing.