Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
halia

Places you missed going to pre-pandemic

halia

Hi guys!

It's been 9 months since the first day of Covid-19 introduced in China and around the world. Lots of our favorite places to go to have been closed down when the first lockdown was issued in different countries. I've missed going to our usual karaoke bar where we can sing to our heart's content and of course watching movies and spending time with friends.

I know most of us here with diabetes did not stop to have fun (even with simple things) but this pandemic has just killed that certain part of our life that we are forced to stay in our home waiting for this virus to pass. I'll be happy to hear about the places you missed visiting with your friends. :)

Edited by halia

Dowling

Seems to me you are a young person who has never had to face adversity. I just read a blurb about this very thing. The gist of it is. If you were born in 1900, in your lifetime you would have lived through many wars including 2 world wars some of which you may have had to fight in. If you lived through it you would have lost family members in the Spanish flu Pandemic in 1918. You would have had to live through 11 years of the great depression. All of this and more without the internet, television and maybe without a telephone.

Seems to me what we've had to do to get through this pandemic is just a a small blip in our lives compared to what they had to live with. We do have scientists on tv telling us what we can to get through this pandemic  and it makes me mad that some people won't do it.

It seems you have been following advice and kudos to you for doing that. This is not a put down for you. It's just a reminder that previous generations had it a lot tougher than you.

What do I miss? Not too much. I keep in touch with Skype and the telephone. I do miss travelling to see my grandkids and sisters but you do what you have to do in this world not necessarily what you want to do.

meyery2k

I am not social so not too much change other than the precautions when I do go out.  I rather like the idea of Zoom for Rotary and other meetings.  It gives me greater flexibility to attend and I hope this continues as an option.  I sympathize that it is harder on members that are more social.  I ride bicycles and have always been more of a single rider than a group rider but I do miss group rides.  Not travelling much, I can't say I miss it, but I miss the idea of being able to travel when I want.  

Much like 1918, we will probably have these things again when humans and the virus have adapted to one another or there is a vaccine.

Hammer

The things that I have missed due to the COVID-19...well, they are mostly events that my radio club was a part of.  The first was my radio club's Hamfest, which is a once a year event, where the club rents a local park for a Saturday, and it becomes a ham operator's flea market, where people tailgate and sell their used equipment.  That had to be canceled. 

Next was the annual Field Day, where for one weekend in June, the entire nation sets up radio equipment in temporary locations, and we see how many contacts we can make in a 24 hour period.  The purpose of Field Day is to get experience in setting up a temporary radio station, in the even of a disaster, where all other forms of communication are down.  That was canceled.

Then there is my club's annual Christmas banquet, which I am about to cancel.  I asked the club members if they will be attending, and due to the COVID-19, 17 said no, and only 4 said yes.  I have reserved a private room at a local restaurant, and the reservation, which I made back in January, was for 40 people.  As it stands, only 4 people said they would attend, and considering that the private room would require the restaurant to bring in two extra waitresses to handle the 35 plus people that usually show up, with only 4 people showing up, there's no point in holding the banquet.

Then there are the club's monthly meetings....our monthly business meetings, and our monthly tech sessions.  Our meetings are held in a conference room at the local hospital, but since they have restricted access at the hospital, our meetings have been canceled.

I hold a weekly radio net for the club, where the members call in, and I give out announcements, and the club members make comments.  Twice a year, I hold the net from the local hospital's radio room, just to make sure that the equipment is operating okay, but since they have that restricted access, I haven't been able to do that.

The lockdown did prevent me from meeting my friend at the local restaurants for lunches or dinners, but now that they are open, we are now back to meeting from time to time.

Aside from the radio club stuff, there really wasn't that much that was different before the lockdown or after the lockdown, since I don't go out much.

Diana_CT

What I miss is game night.

There is an avant-garde art gallery that had board game night on the second Tuesday of the month and I used to go with a group of other women. It was a nice quiet night out of the house.

Also a group of friends used to celebrate our October birthdays by going out to dinner... well not this year and we lost one of our "birthday gals" to COVID this year.

buddy7

As I lived in a suburban area outside London, I missed secretive drives to our local parks and countryside woodlands, which has a variety of accessible natural beauty, other than that can’t say I missed much.