Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

tovli

One Cookie Under The Limit

tovli

This "Possibly PreDiabetes" or non-"normal" glucose tolerance, or "my latest thing to worry about" is bringing out mixed emotions that I don't like in myself.

I know I need to limit carbs.  I know I need to push myself to eat more fat and protein calories to stop losing weight.  Then again...

I know that eating my lunch was "only" 36g carbs and 500 calories, so if I eat just a single Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookie, just one but I take real little bites so it seems like a whole bunch of cookies, I probably will stay below my arbitrary 1hr target of <140 mg/dl.  

But the guilt of trying to walk a legal fiction that I am eating healthier by only eating one cookie, a made from "hateful eight, and poisonous sugar" - These are not good feelings. 

(It really doesn't help that it just tested at 139 mg/dl.) 

Everyone has their food loves - mine might be pizza, famous amos cookies and any vanilla icecream that has little specs of vanilla.  I've managed to find a pizza that will keep me under the limit, and just one cookie seems to not bust the limit, (and I haven't started testing my late night icecream habit.)  But somehow it feels like I am "selling out."  

I often think that the world around me is filled with people that have sold their souls, and I, the mighty me, great and wonderful, haven't sold out.  I feel so weak and evil.

Edited by tovli
spelling

meyery2k

The diet takes some time to dial in but there are work arounds.  Might be some tough love here but I needed it from time to time.

Try not to get hung up and "quantity" of carbs.  Go for quality.  20g of carbs from bread is worse than 20g of carbs from vegetables.  The simple carbs are converted easily to glucose.  The complex carbs take more time since there is fiber and other items to slow down the process.  Eating fats also slows the process.  There are some ideas that we focus too much on hyperglycemia when the ACTUAL underlying problem might be hyperinsulinemia.  Based on my own studies and observations, I tend to side with hyperinsulinemia and strive to maintain as steady glucose reading as possible.  I try to avoid highs and lows.

Pizza - This is out of the box but you can just bake the pizza toppings and mix in with some zucchini or there are cauliflower or cheese based crusts.  Anything you make will be better for your than anything processed.  I love pizza toppings and I adapted to not needing them on a crust.

Cookies can be made using almond flour or coconut flour.   Use Splenda or Equal as a sweetener.

Ice cream - You can make your own or you might find a decent sugar free brand that uses sugar alcohol.  Personally, I find the Safeway Signature Select brand to be good if you have Safeway in your neighborhood.

Once it becomes habit, it get far easier.  80% of this is mental.  Much like cycling, you can do it if you believe you can.  It is done 1 km, or gram, at a time.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-2-diabetes/expert-answers/hyperinsulinemia/faq-20058488#:~:text=Hyperinsulinemia (hi-pur-in,which helps regulate blood sugar.

Kit

Mike gave you a good answer, and I'm going to go a little further.

First off, your target goals are not arbitrary.  Under 100 fasting and pre meals.  Less than 140 at 1hr and less than 120 at 2 hours.  These are the basic goals to getting an AIC of under 6.0 and trying to keep you from getting complications caused by high glucose levels.   Note I said high glucose levels.  I am also leaning more and more to chronic high insulin levels being every bit as dangerous, but I'm not going to cover that here.

Back when I was in high school, there were a few classes that were required for every single person to be able to graduate, regardless of their level.  Government was one, but there was another class that was health, or something similar to it.  I can't remember the details.

I know it covered sex ed as well as a lot of other things.  Once day a police officer came in to talk to us about alcohol, drugs and similar.  The focus was him telling us that they were bad for us, that it was illegal for us to have them in our possession, what would happen to us if we were caught with them, etc.

That ENTIRE class period was spent with students asking questions to see just how far they could push the boundaries before they would get in trouble.

"ok so if the bottle is open, but its in the trunk of the car?  I didn't even know it was there."

"but what if I just have rolling papers, their not illegal, are they?"

"What if its a specific brand?"

Sound familiar?

For consolation, just about every new personal who comes into the group does the exact same thing.  I suspect its instinctive human behavior that we develop as very small children.  In fact I did it myself when I first started.  I had been given by my dietician a 30g net carb limit per meal and I worked at trying to meet that goal.  Not the goal of being under 30g, but to hit as close to 30g as I could get.  Now I don't even hit 30 total carbs per day.

Honestly, the hardest change in all of this is a mental one.  Shifting your perspective.  And being told that something you enjoyed is now forbidden often makes us crave it a lot more than we did before.

I recommend finding bridges for yourself.  if you like ice cream, there are literally a ton of low carb and keto recipes out there.  There are also some brands.  I have been seeing Halo Top more and more often in grocery stores.  Rebel is one I've been hearing of that is supposed to be even better than Halo Top with better ingredients, though I don't believe I've seen them in stores.  They can be purchased online and shipped to you however.  I haven't had any form of ice cream since well before I was diagnosed, so I have no experience there.

Cookies:  There are also a ton of low carb and keto cookie recipes out there.  Just search for keto cookie recipe and you'll find more than you can count.

There is a commercial brand I actually stumbled upon in my local store recently.  I can't remember the brand name, but the ingredient list looked pretty clean.  If I run across them again, I can post the name.

Perfect Keto is another brand that now has cookies.  I've never tried them but they come in 2 packs (helps with portion size) and I've heard some good things about the flavors as well.

Another option is cheesecake mousse or I've heard it called fluff.  its equal amount of softened cream cheese and heavy whipping cream.  You can add a little flavoring and sweetener to your taste.  Some unsweetened cocoa powder and a little sweetener is divine (I love chocolate).  Basically, I use a hand mixer and chill the bowl and beaters before I start,  Put in cream cheese and beat on low speed to make sure its soft.  Add in flavorings and again mix on low until its all incorporated.  Then add in heavy cream, beat briefly on lowe to get it mixed together.  Taste and make adjustments to flavorings as fits your taste.  Then beat on high until the HWC sets up and you get very stiff peaks.  You should be able to turn the bowl upside down without any of the contents even moving.  Grab spoon and eat.  :)

I've done the same thing with lemon, vanilla and sweetener or pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice mix, and sweetener for a holiday treat.  Even my insanely picky husband says it tastes just like pumpkin pie.

Go to Google and type in

keto recipe "what you want here"

If you don't find multiple hits, I will be shocked.  I'm pretty sure I even ran across a brittle recipe at one point.

I tend to recommend focusing on the positive.  You get to try new things.  New recipes, new products.  Consider it a fun adventure!  :)

Edited by Kit

Kit

I forgot to say . . .

And yes, the vast majority of this (and many other) country's populations have sold their souls to the processed food companies.

Not directly related to this post, but a utterly fascinating interview with an anthropologist in regards to the "optimal" human diet.

Dowling

I agree the biggest part of low carb is mental. When I was first diagnosed I tried your 1 cookie deal. Before I knew it I was eating 2 and said it's only a few more carbs. When I got to 3 or 4 it was time to call it quits. I changed my thinking to I'm not giving up things but making a lifestyle change and that thinking changed everything. It doesn't work if you keep one foot in each camp. Before long you'll take the easy way out and be back where you started

I make Pizza often and it's very few carbs. I fry up some toppings, onion, peppers, Mushrooms and a bit of hamburger and put it on a paper towel to drain. I already have cooked sausage in my freezer. I nuke a couple to thaw and cut it in smallish pieces. I Cut up a bit of ham and add  cut up peperoni. I add the meat to the drained veggies and put in a bowl. I grate a full block of Mozzarella cheese and place it in my largest frying pan, spread it out to cover the bottom and turn on the heat to medium low Once it starts to melt I top with on all my toppings that are mixed together. I'm very generous with sprinkling on basil and I add a good sprinkle of Italian seasoning. I let it simmer until the edges turn pale brown then remove from the heat. I let it cool for a couple of minutes then cut into wedges and remove with a spatula to your plate. You have to eat this with a fork but it tastes good. I save the leftovers in containers and refrigerate or freeze.

My go to sweet snack is sugar free jello mixed with Whipped cream. I make the jello and let it set. I make whipped cream in my ninja bullet and add jello and let it whirl a bit to break up the jello. 0 carbs. I do make low carb cookies and cakes occasionally. 

There are lots of ways to get the food you like but you may have to put a little work into it. The results are worth it.

tovli
1 hour ago, Kit said:

You get to try new things.  New recipes

Yes, true.  My wife has been very happy to see me in the kitchen.   The secret to keto has to be keep trying. 

I've bought eight types of sweeteners and didn't find a single one I can tolerate.  I bought almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot flour, tapioca flour/starch, Psyllium husk, and lots more "exotic" things for my chemistry set shelf, but of the fifteen to twenty keto version recipes I have attempted so far, nothing has made it into the meal plan for a second making.

tovli
28 minutes ago, Dowling said:

I make Pizza often and it's very few carbs. I fry up ...

I've never met a bad pizza, but your's sounds really great.  I'll add that to my list of "try this soon"

Thanks.

tovli
30 minutes ago, Dowling said:

There are lots of ways to get the food you like but you may have to put a little work into it. The results are worth it.

True - This is perhaps the biggest change of all - having to work at food.   The pandemic already forced us into more home cooking, but we knew how to do it, just the time to do it.  The added part now is the extra research and planning for ingredients we have not kept handy before now.

tovli
2 hours ago, meyery2k said:

There are some ideas that we focus too much on hyperglycemia when the ACTUAL underlying problem might be hyperinsulinemia.  Based on my own studies and observations, I tend to side with hyperinsulinemia and strive to maintain as steady glucose reading as possible.  I try to avoid highs and lows.

That sounds like what @Kit was trying to introduce me to as well.  Along with not knowing how much of a problem I have, it seems I also don't know what problem I have. 

In the face of so much and so many unknowns, this has become an unexpected daily task. 

I suffer from trying to maintain competence in too many interests and a continual thirst for new things:  (robots, birding, photography, jogging, cycling, learning FPV flying, sim flying, learning piano, playing the flute, hard sci-fi, world events, feeding the backyard squirrels, and of course political anxiety.  Perhaps I have forgotten a few.)

tovli
18 hours ago, meyery2k said:

TedMed - Peter Attia: What if we're wrong about diabetes?

Wow, Thanks for the link.  Very moving.