Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Dowling

roasted pea-meal bacon

Dowling

Have you ever tried roasting a whole piece of pea-meal bacon. I know it's usually sliced and fried but my sister always buys a whole piece of pea-meal and roasts it. I tried it and wow. It was better than those small hams you buy and you can slice it and refrigerate or freeze it. It never lasted long enough for me to freeze it though. Roasted it tastes like good ham and it's small so it's good if you are cooking for 1. You cook it like a small ham. Mine was a little less than 2 pounds and I roasted it for 11/2 hours @350

I had it for breakfast with eggs and for supper with veggies. I even had some on an almond biscuit for lunch once . Of course I love ham and the upside was that I never had to worry about getting enough protein

Dowling
11 hours ago, janice21475 said:

this is the first time I heard of pea-meal bacon. sheltered life, I guess.  :dontknow:

Never thought of someone never hearing of it so I looked it up. Not a sheltered life---I found out it's a delicacy of Canada. It is a trimmed cured(like bacon) boneless pork loin developed by a butcher in Toronto Canada in 1854.  In earlier days it was coated in crushed yellow peas to keep it fresher and from drying out.-- hence pea-meal bacon. Since  the early 1900's the coating has been corn meal which I remove after cooking. It is absolutely delicious--better than ham or bacon

ArrowAntoinette

I tried, mine has a touch of smoky bacon turns frozen peas into a sumptuous side dish. 

Dowling

I always slice mine to keep for later. It's good cold too or heated and served with veggies or a salad much like you do with ham. Try it heated in cream of bacon soup and served on zoodles. Campbells cream of bacon soup has 8 carbs for 125 liters. That's a little less than half a can. I use 1/3 of a can and mix it with 100% cream, sliced mushrooms and  a little pepper. I freeze the rest in 2 equal containers for later use.

I also use cream of bacon soup with cooked ground beef, onion flakes, mushrooms. peppers and anything else that takes my fancy. I serve it over zoodles or almond biscuits