Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
xpDiabetes

Heart Attack

xpDiabetes

Dear Friends, 

I do not think this is direct relation to diabetes.  On October 18, I suffered a massive heart attack with 3 arteries blocked 100%, 70% and 90%.  I did not get the medical records yet as the department is closed and will only mail after I give a consent by mail.  On october 19th, my heart completely stopped for a min.  The ICU staff somehow revived me.  In the hindsight, I think using statins would have benefitted me. But I will never know.  May be they would have postponed the event by a couple of years and would never have avoided altogether. 

My A1C, BG range, BP and Cholesterol were always good numbers.  Cholesterol is a border line high but never alarming.  I was physically active and did all the right things about diet.  Still I suffered a heart attack. 

meyery2k

I am glad you got through that!  Humans are so complex, I doubt we will ever have the answers to everything.  We don't completely understand how viruses work as COVID 19 demonstrates.  We have a lot of information and have come a long way but we can't even agree on whether a virus is a living organism or not.  

Get well soon!

adiantum

Glad your still with us @xpDiabetes . 

Like you, a college friend  ate all the right things & didnt smoke, yet he  had a fatal heart attack while putting his surfboard on the car.

Hammer

xpDiabetes, it's good to hear that you made it through that.  I think that a contributing factor in heart attacks, as well as all of our health, is genetics.  A person can eat all of the wrong foods, smoke, never exercise, and they could live to be 100, and I feel that it would be due to that person's genetic makeup.

I remember watching an old Johnny Carson show, and one of his guests was a 100 year old actor.  As Johnny was chatting with him, the old guy pulled out a cigarette and lit it.  Johnny looked at him, then asked him if it was a good idea for him to smoke at his age.  The old guy smiled and said that he had seen his doctor the week before, and the doctor asked him if he smoked, and he said yes.  The doctor told him that he should quit.  The old guy said, "Doc, I've been smoking for 90 years and it hasn't killed me yet."  He said that the doctor smiled back at him and said that if he's been smoking that long, then there's no point in quitting.

Dowling
12 hours ago, xpDiabetes said:

In the hindsight, I think using statins would have benefitted me. But I will never know.  May be they would have postponed the event by a couple of years and would never have avoided altogether. 

Years ago I watched a show on PBS where a number of cardiologists were talking about Cholesterol and heart attacks. I can't remember how many cardiologists were talking but it was at least 3. They all said that in their practices they found that there was no correlation between high cholesterol and who had heart attacks. They had just as many people with and without high cholesterol.

I have had high cholesterol--not just borderline-- for as long as they have been measuring it. I just turned 80 and doctors have  repeatedly wanted me to go on Statins which I refused. I've never had any heart problems in all those years so don't second guess yourself. Be thankful you came through it OK and that you were in the right place at the right time.

FunDad62

At 42 years old I came as close to having a heart attack as you could without actually having one.  I had symptoms for several weeks before finally having a stress test where they discovered 95% blockage and sent me to the hospital by ambulance and put two stents in me.  The next day they patted me on the back and said "You're all fixed.  Go home."  It was terrifying for several months after realizing we really are mortal but I finally got past that mental anguish.

I would suggest watching Forks Over Knives.  There's a piece in there of a doctor who also said he "lived a healthy lifestyle" and had a heart attack in his 40's.  You can purchase it on YouTube for $5.  Very interesting documentary.  Oh and I'm 58 as of last week and have never had another problem since getting the stents.  I was a smoker though and quit when that happened.  I'm sure that was a major contributor. 

Best of luck.  Don't let it defeat you.  Live life.