Jump to content
Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
halia

Status of your lockdown

Recommended Posts

halia

Hi guys, 

How is your lockdown situation? Are you on your second lockdown? How are you handling day to day life with the new norm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buddy7

'Are you on your second lockdown'? Yes, Not handling the situation very well at all, to be quite honest with you, I’ve had enough with lockdowns and Covid 19, I won’t consider this as a norm. Miss my family popping in from time to time, and with all these people dying around the world, this is far from being normality …. (Sick of it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum
4 hours ago, halia said:

Hi guys, 

How is your lockdown situation? Are you on your second lockdown? How are you handling day to day life with the new norm?

Each state of Australia has its own lockdown procedure according to the infection. I'm very thankful its taken seriously  which is keeping us  in a controlled level .It deeply saddens me that 907 Australians have died of covid 19.

We are now 94th  on the list https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

 

South Australia has a recent cluster break out  of 23  so a 7 day  lockdown begins tonight at midnight ..just 2 1/2 hrs away.

This will be difficult but manageable.. Victoria has recently  succeded in  controlling their cluster.

 

 

"   .....From midnight tonight, for the next six days, all schools, pubs, cafes, takeaway food outlets and the construction industry will close. Exercise will be banned outside the house.

People will be restricted from going outside their homes. Only one person per household will be able to leave the home each day, but only for specific purposes.

People are being encouraged to wear masks whenever they are outside their homes.

Universities and all outdoor sport will be shut down, while elective surgery will cease. Weddings and funerals will also be banned.

Urgent operations and cancer treatment will be allowed to go ahead.

Only children of essential workers will be allowed to attend school in-person.

Critical infrastructure such as water, electricity and telecommunications will remain open, as will supermarkets.

Medical services, including mental health support, will be open, as will public transport.

All court buildings will close and cases will be adjourned for the next six days, except for urgent bail applications and intervention matters. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-18/sa-ordered-into-major-lockdowns-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/12894666

 

@halia, dont feel like a victim, learn from the experience & take pleasure from knowing you are free of the virus.

 

Edited by adiantum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dowling

There is no lockdown here. Our area has been relatively free of the virus. There are some restrictions on gatherings and more so in larger cities where the virus is more prevalent. Our governments have kept on top of things and for the most part citizens have followed their advice.

For myself I have self imposed restrictions. I don't travel anywhere I don't have to and I don't eat in restaurants. Not that I did much of that before Covid. If I don't want to cook I will order take out. Do I miss meeting friends--yes. Do I miss painting with my friends --Yes but that a small price to pay for keeping myself safe from the virus.

I learned years ago that no one can make you feel less than you are if you don't let them and that includes this virus. Think upbeat, find things to do to keep yourself busy, help others--give to a food bank if you can or check on an elderly neighbour. Plan what you are going to do when this virus is under control. Learn something new. This virus will pass we just have to bide our time. They've already found 2 vaccines that will soon available

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammer

There is no lockdown in my county.  As of now, my county has had 1540 confirmed cases, and 40 people have died from it.  I do know that many businesses in my area said that if they impose another lockdown, that they will ignore it, since they almost went bankrupt during the last lockdown.  These businesses have installed safety precautions, like plastic barriers between the customers and the staff, wipe down counter tops and other areas that people come in contact with, after every customer leaves, the staff must wear masks all of the time, and customers must wear masks to enter the business, they only allow a certain number of customers into the business at one time, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

Here, there are numerous financial packages allocated to businesses to prevent bankruptcy.

Soon every adult in Sydney will receive 4x $25 vouchers to spend at restaurants & entertainment venues to help get these industries back on their feet.

This will be given to every Australian by next year.

There are no cases within the county to which I belong & yet we still practise social isolation.

The local  petrol station allows just 4 people in their shop at a time.

 

I was amused at the antics 2 school leavers  came up with to celebrate end of year .

Crowd gatherings were limited to 30 people which wasnt going to be such a great party.

These boys pretended to get married so they could invite 150 guests.

 

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/two-best-friends-get-married-to-bypass-coronavirus-restrictions-for-formal-afterparty/news-story/57fa29f17282af1d914993252db41af6

Edited by adiantum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
halia
On 11/18/2020 at 3:32 PM, buddy7 said:

'Are you on your second lockdown'? Yes, Not handling the situation very well at all, to be quite honest with you, I’ve had enough with lockdowns and Covid 19, I won’t consider this as a norm. Miss my family popping in from time to time, and with all these people dying around the world, this is far from being normality …. (Sick of it)

I'm sorry to hear that buddy7. I'd like to share these strategies for keeping ourselves driven during these times, this article helps me a lot to cope with the anxiety I have experienced surviving this pandemic. I hope this helps you too. http://www.hermancain.org/2020/07/01/strategies-for-keeping-yourself-driven-amidst-covid-19/

 

 

On 11/18/2020 at 6:39 PM, adiantum said:

Each state of Australia has its own lockdown procedure according to the infection. I'm very thankful its taken seriously  which is keeping us  in a controlled level .It deeply saddens me that 907 Australians have died of covid 19.

We are now 94th  on the list https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

 

South Australia has a recent cluster break out  of 23  so a 7 day  lockdown begins tonight at midnight ..just 2 1/2 hrs away.

This will be difficult but manageable.. Victoria has recently  succeded in  controlling their cluster.

 

 

"   .....From midnight tonight, for the next six days, all schools, pubs, cafes, takeaway food outlets and the construction industry will close. Exercise will be banned outside the house.

People will be restricted from going outside their homes. Only one person per household will be able to leave the home each day, but only for specific purposes.

People are being encouraged to wear masks whenever they are outside their homes.

Universities and all outdoor sport will be shut down, while elective surgery will cease. Weddings and funerals will also be banned.

Urgent operations and cancer treatment will be allowed to go ahead.

Only children of essential workers will be allowed to attend school in-person.

Critical infrastructure such as water, electricity and telecommunications will remain open, as will supermarkets.

Medical services, including mental health support, will be open, as will public transport.

All court buildings will close and cases will be adjourned for the next six days, except for urgent bail applications and intervention matters. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-18/sa-ordered-into-major-lockdowns-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/12894666

 

@halia, dont feel like a victim, learn from the experience & take pleasure from knowing you are free of the virus.

 

Thank you for the wise words @adiamtum! I'm glad you guys are able to manage everything better there. My country is still fighting relentlessly and doing our best here to flatten the curve. So far, we are getting there, and hopefully, this will end soon.

 

22 hours ago, Hammer said:

There is no lockdown in my county.  As of now, my county has had 1540 confirmed cases, and 40 people have died from it.  I do know that many businesses in my area said that if they impose another lockdown, that they will ignore it, since they almost went bankrupt during the last lockdown.  These businesses have installed safety precautions, like plastic barriers between the customers and the staff, wipe down counter tops and other areas that people come in contact with, after every customer leaves, the staff must wear masks all of the time, and customers must wear masks to enter the business, they only allow a certain number of customers into the business at one time, etc.

The same thing happened here, well probably all the business in the world has stopped running at some point, but the good thing is they were able to get back up again and I love how every establishment here in my country are following the protocols to its roots just to make everyone feel safe when going out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

Theres some angry people in South Australia & it's all vented upon one person... a liar.

 

If only he had told the truth that he actually worked at the pizza shop instead of being a customer, the state would not have locked down.

People were just given a few hours to stock up on supplies & empty the toilet paper aisles before they were locked down.

Maybe he was an illegal immigrant, maybe he was getting wages when on welfare? who knows..he's a liar.

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-20/how-a-lie-to-coronavirus-contact-tracers-sent-sa-into-lockdown/12904572

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bespawlerbison
There's no lockdown here. In one way I am one of the lucky people dealing with it. I still have a steady income and don't have any children in school. I really feel for the people who have to deal with both. I work alone and am an introvert by nature. Social distancing is not a problem for me.
But on the other hand, I work with 8 clients that could be easily affected by the virus. I am always concerned about the health of myself and the other staff that work during the day. My wife works at a different home similar to the one I work in. 1 staff came down with the virus and spread it through the whole house. 2 of the 8 clients are in the hospital one person has been in the hospital for over a week. For the past 3 weeks, my wife has been working in that home. So we're extremely on edge and being extremely careful. I don't want to catch it and risk spreading it to the people I care for. So right now life has us on full alert. Also, the vaccine is almost within reach. Maybe someday I can go to a buffet again. Haha. Everything is open here, I am just staying home as much as I can until things come under control. We never had much of a shutdown. The schools have been closed 75% of the time. Other than that everything remains open.
 
Edited by bespawlerbison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
halia

@bespawlerbison That's really alarming. I pray that your wife is safe and everyone who got it will recover successfully. I'm sure everything will go back to normal as soon as the vaccines will be made available. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dowling
3 hours ago, halia said:

@bespawlerbison That's really alarming. I pray that your wife is safe and everyone who got it will recover successfully. I'm sure everything will go back to normal as soon as the vaccines will be made available. :)

 

No I don't think things will be back to normal for a while after people are vaccinated. While things will open up and it will appear normal there are going to be people who don't get the vaccine or don't believe there is a pandemic and don't get vaccinated. While the vaccines are 95 % effective there is still that other 5% and no one knows how long immunity will last. I think I'll still be wearing a mask long after they are no longer required even after I'm vaccinated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buddy7
3 hours ago, Dowling said:

95 % effective there is still that other 5% and no one knows how long immunity will last. I think I'll still be wearing a mask long after they are no longer required even after I'm vaccinated

How the race for a Covid-19 vaccine is getting dirty, Scientists worldwide who has been working against the clock to find a viable coronavirus vaccine, but are corners being cut for the sake of political gain and profit? Do you think the US/UK regulators who will decide the fate of Covid-19 vaccine? Now the vaccine is all but here do you think the regulators are dragging their feet delaying approval of immunization to the public?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammer

Yes, like Dowling said, there will be many people who won't get the vaccine...I am one of those people.  I got my first flu shot when I was 61 years old, and the only reason that I got it was because my doctor said that the flu shot doesn't protect just me, it protects the people around me.  My daughter just gave birth to her son, and I didn't want to endanger him, so I decided to get the flu shot.  If it wasn't for that, I would to this day, never have gotten a flu shot. (At that point, I hadn't gotten the flu in more than 37 years, so why take the shot?)

 

The COVID-19 vaccine isn't safe, at least in my mind it's not safe.  When you consider how they did the clinical trials, I can't see how anyone can consider it safe, especially if you in my age bracket.  The tested it on people 40 years old or younger (I'm 67), who had no other health issues.(I have diabetes.)  The gave the vaccine to half of the test group, and they gave the placebo to the other half of test group.  They exposed the vaccinated group the virus, but they didn't expose the unvaccinated group to the virus, so what in the world was that going to tell you?  I know, "that only 10% of the vaccinated group got the virus, but 0% of the placebo group got the virus, so let's give everyone the placebo!"

 

If the clinical trials didn't include people over 40 with other health issues, then why would I trust the vaccine?  Heck, in people in my age group with other health issues, the vaccine might cause heart attacks, strokes, kidney or liver failure, and who knows what else?  No thanks, I'll wait a few years to see how people in my group are affected by the vaccines first, before I take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TX_Clint

This is one time I must agree with you Hammer. There is zero evidence that either of the current vaccines are safe for people in our age group or with diabetes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dowling

These are the reasons I will take the vaccine when available.

1-Any chance to avoid this deadly virus is better than none

 

2-There are very few and short lasting side effects. The data says that mild side effects only last a day.

 

3-The science makes sense to me. These are not your usual vaccines where you take a bit of the virus and inject it. It wouldn't work with a coronavuirus. That is why drug companies have been working on vaccines ever since the SARS outbreak. There differences in all the vaccines developed. Moderna and Pfizer's vaccine is based on new science that is based on DNA and T-cells.  It puts receptors into the body that blocks the virus from entering the cells and organs. Astro-Zenica's is different. I'm not quite sure of their science and there are others. I'm sure will all be given close scrutiny before being released to the public. Some may be good for some age groups and not others. 

 

4-The main thing is that the  data is being reviewed by health organizations in each country and the WHO to make sure it is safe and as effective as the drug companies say it is. I know this is happening in Canada and the USA and I'm sure other countries are doing the same. If one of these organizations have complaints we will soon see it on the news.

 

That's my case for taking this vaccine. That is not to say I'll give up on health protocols but a maybe protection is better than none

Edited by Dowling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

Theres a possibility that Astro-Zenica may have a dud product.

"...............

Pressure has been mounting on the company all week, with a stream of scientists and researchers across the world joining Dr Porges' initial assessment.

Some labelled it "shaky science", while others questioned the legitimacy of the data released by the company.

Now, critically, the regulators are becoming involved.

And the issue, it seems, all comes down to a curious mistake.

Dosing by accident

The interim results of the phase 3 trial found the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine was 62 per cent effective in people who received two doses.

But when volunteers were given a half dose followed by a full dose, that efficacy shot up to 90 per cent.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-28/has-australia-picked-the-covid19-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-dud/12928128

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammer

Dowling, I can understand your viewpoint, but I can't help but ask, while the vaccine might provide you some protection from the virus, is it worth the risk of possibly dying from the vaccine?  Since there is no way of knowing how the vaccine will affect people in our age group, who also have diabetes, and possibly other health issues, is it a good idea to think, "I'll take the vaccine, even if it ends up killing me?"  Maybe it will and maybe it won't, but to me, it's like playing Russian Roulette with my health, and I would never play Russian Roulette with my health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

I'll not risk having the vaccine because of its risks. I also have so many allergies that it's possible the vaccine could join that list.

 

I believe us mature aged D's will have a greater chance in being covid free when the majority of the population get vaccinated leaving us in a  freerer state .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dowling
4 hours ago, Hammer said:

Dowling, I can understand your viewpoint, but I can't help but ask, while the vaccine might provide you some protection from the virus, is it worth the risk of possibly dying from the vaccine?  Since there is no way of knowing how the vaccine will affect people in our age group, who also have diabetes, and possibly other health issues, is it a good idea to think, "I'll take the vaccine, even if it ends up killing me?"  Maybe it will and maybe it won't, but to me, it's like playing Russian Roulette with my health, and I would never play Russian Roulette with my health.

 

Of all the 20,000 people in both Moderna's and Phizer's trials the only side effects were a slight headache or a bit of soreness at the injection site. If the vaccines didn't kill or make 40,000 people sick at all I'm sure I'll be fine. A second assurance is that the FDA and other health organizations are reviewing all the data and it won't be distributed until they give the OK

 

The science is not that they are putting the virus into my body but putting in cells that don't allow the virus to enter my body and I'm sure that won't kill me. If It did the others even in a younger age group would have at least gotten sick

 

The only health issue I have is diabetes and it is under control. I don't consider it playing Russian Roulette with my health. I wouldn't do that either but the science and safeguards tell me that it's OK to take this vaccine but that's my opinion. You have to make up your own mind

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buddy7

There are 3 known vaccines which are about to be rolled out by Pfizer Germany, Oxford-UK AstraZeneca, US Moderna, probably more to come yet to fight this awful disease, for years now the following countries have been making vaccines to fight unknown diseases around the world, do you think for some reason now, they suddenly will produce a vaccine that’s going to wipe-out half the world’s population. (I don’t think so). It’s my opinion the scientist and their laboratories in most countries are truly some of the finest equipped and sophisticated organization around the world. I do not want to be writhing with hearsay or scaremongering. I’ll be more than pleased to take the best vaccine available. Listening to the scientist common sense matters here, we need a vaccine that will get rid of this virus.

 

On my research:

 

When will I get a vaccine?

In the UK there are four million doses of the Oxford vaccine ready to go. But nothing can happen until the vaccine has been approved by regulators who will assess the vaccine's safety, effectiveness, and that it is manufactured to a high standard. This process will happen in the coming weeks.

It is also unclear who will get this vaccine or the other vaccines the government has ordered.

However, the UK is preparing to press the go button on an unprecedented mass immunisation campaign that dwarfs either the annual flu or childhood vaccination programmes.

Care home residents and staff will be first in the queue, followed by healthcare workers and the over-80s. The plan is to then to work down through the age groups.

 

How does it work?

It uses a completely different approach to the vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna, which inject part of the virus's genetic code into patients.

The Oxford vaccine is a genetically modified common cold virus that used to infect chimpanzees.

It has been altered to stop it causing an infection in people and to carry the blueprints for part of the coronavirus, known as the spike protein.

Once these blueprints are inside the body they start producing the coronavirus' spike protein, which the immune system recognizes as a threat and tries to squash it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammer

I agree that it's up to the person as to whether or not they will take the vaccine.  My main question is this:  If the vaccine is safe, why didn't they test it on people in my age group who have other health issues like diabetes?  That is what is troubling to me.  Remember, doctors tell us that since we have diabetes, we have a weakened immune system.  How will our weakened immune systems react to a foreign chemical agent like a vaccine?  They don't know, since the vaccine wasn't tested on people like us.  Hopefully, the vaccine won't harm us, and will stop the spread of the virus, but until I see proof that it hasn't harmed people like us, I'll have to just hold off on getting the vaccine.  For those who say that they will get the vaccine, I hope that it doesn't harm them in any way, and by them getting the vaccine, it will show people in our age group that it is safe.  I guess that means that they will be the guinea pigs for the vaccine, but even so, it will help the world to know how the vaccine affects people in our age group.  To those that do get the vaccine, I wish them all the best, and hope that it works for them, with no bad side effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevenal

I see some here consider the vaccine too risky to take, but without mentioning the risks of not taking it. Most of us here are high risk from Covid due to age, diabetes, or both. And we need consider the herd immunity effect we can have on those around us that cannot take the vaccine due to age or other considerations. I for one, will seek vaccination just as soon as I can. I owe it to myself, my family, and especially my infant granddaughter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammer
3 hours ago, stevenal said:

I see some here consider the vaccine too risky to take, but without mentioning the risks of not taking it. Most of us here are high risk from Covid due to age, diabetes, or both. And we need consider the herd immunity effect we can have on those around us that cannot take the vaccine due to age or other considerations. I for one, will seek vaccination just as soon as I can. I owe it to myself, my family, and especially my infant granddaughter. 

 I can appreciate your viewpoint on this, and I know that you want to protect your family, which is what I want to do also.  I don't know how old you are, but my reasoning is this....how can I help protect my family, if I take the vaccine, and it destroys my liver, or kidneys, heart, or whatever?  If that were to happen, I would then become a burden to my family, since I would not be able to take care of myself, if I were to survive the vaccine.  I understand that a lot of people will place their trust in a vaccine, since it's been approved by the FDA, but that approval doesn't include people in my age bracket.  I don't understand how the FDA can approve a vaccine for people my age, when it hasn't been tested on people my age with diabetes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

@stevenal I believe the risk of me getting it when I wont be vaccinated are quite slim. I believe the majority of the community will be vaccinated which lessens my chances. I will still avoid crowded spaces & continued handwashing. I will always refrain from touching handrails or other objects in public.

I will continue to do all of my shopping online. I am not a traveller nor social & live in a region of no known covid victim .

I've had horrid side effects from the flue vaccine & after 13 years of D , I still cant find a med that I can tolerate so the possibility of me not tolerating the covid vac is high.

I agree with imunisations but this virus has come about when I am at my most vulnerable, with age & compromised immune system thanks to D.

I live alone with a dog that is totally dependent upon me. I will not put him in danger should I become too ill to care for him.

 

Qantas is considering denying passengers on board if theyve not been immunised  & I fully support them in that. 

Smallpox etc has been almost eradicated because of vaccination  among the travellers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.