Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Pearly

Cost of consumables in your country

Pearly

Hi Everyone. Interested in how much consumables cost in your country. Are they subsidised? In New Zealand I pay $180 NZD ($130 USD) for a box of 10 canulas. What about you? How does this affect your ability to afford to pump?

don1942

I have Medicare (Advantage) coverage and a three month supply of reservoirs and infusion sets cost me $40 each. Medicare does not cover Medtronic sensors; however, Medtronic recently reduced the uninsured cost of Guardian 3 sensors to $60 for a box of five (a sensor is recommended to last 7 days but I renew my sensors for an additional 7 days.)

808IUFan

Medicare does now cover ALL CGMs including Medtronic Guardian 3 but Medtronic has tso far refused to acknowledge this. I just started Medicare May 1 and asked them to submit my first sensor order to Medicare to see if it was in the system yet. 3 days later they called me back to say it was not covered. So I hung up and called Medicare and got a supervisor and they started a 3 way call with Medtronic. They refused to give Medicare the rejection code. (Later found out that no claim had been submitted to Medicare.) I have contacted my US Senator and he says that only a change to wording on the label has to be changed and as of this date, they have refused to do this. Further, the CMS ruling says Medicare will pay a max of $374 a month for sensors. Medtronic bills us $60 a month. I also am paying for a Supplement so I should be paying zero for these supplies. They were even covered under the Affordable Care Act which everyone thinks is bad. Turns out Medicare is great but Medtronic is so huge they cant make a simple change. I can not break through this logjam with them. Does anyone else have any data about this and does anyone want to help me get this fixed. Maybe a class action lawsuit would get their attention?

Dowling

I live in Ontario Canada. Our Provincial government has the Trillium program that pays for most of seniors drugs but they only pay for the cheapest drug for each condition or disease. What isn't covered by them is covered by my husbands employer' s drug plan. That plan also covers retirees and we pay nothing to be included in that plan. I pay nothing with the government plan and 35 cents for each prescription with the employer's plan. I consider myself very lucky to not have to pay for prescriptions especially since 1 prescription I take twice a year is $649.00 and my government plan doesn't pay for that particular drug

The government plan also covers my Januvia but only because my doctor told then I have a serious reaction to Metforman. If they wouldn't have covered it my husband's work plan would have. My pharmacist knows who to submit the bill to and they take care of everything

Edited by Dowling