Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

karmiko

Can type 2 diabetes be reversed?

karmiko

I don't want to live with this disease for the rest of my life.  I'm 52 years old and I have 3 wonderful grandchildren.  I want to be around for them.  So a friend of mine suggested reading the Diabetic Code by Dr. Fung.  I am excited to start implementing his tips that way I can get off of the diabetic medicine and hopefully be diabetic free.  I watched his video on youtube.  Here is a link to watch.  https://shrinke.me/OxXBN

If you watch the video, what  are your thoughts?  Do you think we can actually reverse diabetes or do you think I am just wasting my time?

adiantum

Hi Karmiko, I'm not sure that it can be reversed but it can certyainly be controlled & even to a non diabetics blood glucose level.

I was diagnosed 13 years ago & am doing pretty good at keeping it under control without meds.

Ive adopted a better way of eating then I did before, rarely now do I have processed foods or take-away.

I follow a low carb high fat diet & have a good lifestyle even though I'm aolder then you.

I didnt watch your video as anything can go on youtube even virus etc.

You certainly can get off the meds but be sure your A1c is in the non d range or at least less then 6.2

Hammer

Karmiko, no, diabetes can not be reversed.  Diabetes is when your metabolic system has a problem.  The best that we can hope for, is to control it with diet and exercise, but a lot of us also need medications to control it.  I didn't watch the video, but anyone that says that you can reverse diabetes is lying to you, because you can't reverse it.  All you can do is to control it, either with diet and exercise, or with diet, exercise and medications.  Diabetes is not a death sentence, it's just that you will have to change your eating habits and add some exercise into your daily routine.  If you do these two things, that should help you to control your diabetes, and if those two things alone don't help you to get your diabetes under control, then you might need to add some medications, but you can live a long and healthy life with diabetes, as long as you exercise, control your diet, and if need be, take medications.  Diabetes is not reversible, but it is easy to control.

Hammer
1 hour ago, karmiko said:

Thank you for your comments.  How do you stay motivated to live this healthier lifestyle?

Once you begin this new lifestyle, you will understand why we all do this.  You will feel ten times better than you do now, you will lose weight, you will get your glucose levels under control, your cholesterol and triglycerides will drop, and you'll have a lot more energy.  Once you experience that, you will then understand why we do this.  Right now, you can't understand how much better you will feel after you adopt this new lifestyle.  We have many members here who were  skeptical about this type of lifestyle, but they decided to reluctantly try it out.  After a few months of trying out this lifestyle, they are now advocates for it.  While I am sure that you are probably skeptical about it yourself, just try it for a few months.  It can't hurt to try it, so why not do it, I mean, once you feel how much better you will feel, you will understand our enthusiasm for adopting this type of lifestyle.  Think about it...how do you feel right now with your present lifestyle?...are you happy with it?  If not, then try what we are telling you.  Our way of living is the only way to insure that you won't suffer from complications from diabetes.  Isn't that what you want to achieve....to live a normal, healthy life?

We can't force you to do something that you don't want to do, we can only recommend what we do to help you combat diabetes.  If you will just try what we recommend, I think that you will feel so much better than you do right now.  It's your life, so you need to do whatever you think is best for you, and we hope that what you decide to do, is what we are all suggesting, because we all want you to live a long and healthy life.  We are all here for you, and we are rooting for you to succeed!  That's what this forum is all about...

adiantum

Motivation comes easy especially when you look at the alternative.

Who would want to eat  high carb foods that could cost you  your eyesight, kidneys , feet or your life.

I know I  cant tolerate these foods & certainly wouldnt like to be cared for as  it would become self inflicted knowing I have d.

Its not a big deal.. I dont feel deprived.

Yes, I occasionally cheat, but double up on exercise to try &  keep my blood flowing freely & not thick  like cornsyrup.

Our food choices are great. Cheese, eggs, nuts. Meat if thats your choice, non root vegetables provide a varity of meals.

Breakfast has become my favorite meal  now , so will have ommelet, asparagus & cheese or this morning it was eggplant parmigiana .

Theres some good recipes in the forum or  google low carb whatever.

The best part is... I feel healthier now then I have in 40 years.

adiantum

karmiko, you will find that carbs are addictive  & cheats will only prolong the craving.

At first I used to make coconut ice out of coconut oil, coconut & splenda.

I made desserts with cream cheese, cream & low carb jello.

Boiled eggs became easy snacks.

Lightly toasted almonds  rolled in butter, splenda & spices.

I'm not into going to a gym , but I enjoy walking ,swimming & yardwork.

We must be active.

ask any question that comes to mind, we are all here to help each other.

Dowling
5 hours ago, karmiko said:

Thank you for your comments.  How do you stay motivated to live this healthier lifestyle?

My motivation comes from watching family members cope with the complications of diabetes and finally dying from them. My resolve is strengthened The memory of all they went through and my determination that their fate will not be mine and by the members of this site. No matter what the cause is it is always better if you know you are not alone and that others are going through this too.

If I have one piece of advice it's not to think of this change in diet but to think of it as a lifestyle change. Don't try to keep one foot in each camp. If you do you will soon abandon low carb. After about 3 weeks those cravings for what you used to eat will disappear. Not to be gone forever but for the most part. Your mind still remembers the taste and texture. You need to educate yourself on nutrition in food and read labels when shopping. It is best to forgo prepared food and cook from scratch. There are too many hidden carbs in prepared food. There are many websites with low carb recipes. Just make sure they are really low carb. You might want to look into keto. Their diet is much like what we use.

Exercise does not have to be done in a gym. Exercise for your purpose is anything that gets you moving. I never go to a gym. My exercise is gardening, shoveling snow and walking. A 10 minute walk will burn off excess glucose and I do use that when occasionally my meal was a little more carby than it should be but most walks are at least 30 minutes. If you don't want to walk put on some music and dance.

Check back often and ask any question you have. Someone is sure to answer

halia

Sadly to say, diabetes is one of those diseases that can only go worse or be controlled but never reversed.  But we still have a lot to learn from science, so I'll still give my hope for future generations to see it through, probably we're all dead though before someone can make a breakthrough for such a cure.

karmiko
7 hours ago, Hammer said:

Once you begin this new lifestyle, you will understand why we all do this.  You will feel ten times better than you do now, you will lose weight, you will get your glucose levels under control, your cholesterol and triglycerides will drop, and you'll have a lot more energy.  Once you experience that, you will then understand why we do this.  Right now, you can't understand how much better you will feel after you adopt this new lifestyle.  We have many members here who were  skeptical about this type of lifestyle, but they decided to reluctantly try it out.  After a few months of trying out this lifestyle, they are now advocates for it.  While I am sure that you are probably skeptical about it yourself, just try it for a few months.  It can't hurt to try it, so why not do it, I mean, once you feel how much better you will feel, you will understand our enthusiasm for adopting this type of lifestyle.  Think about it...how do you feel right now with your present lifestyle?...are you happy with it?  If not, then try what we are telling you.  Our way of living is the only way to insure that you won't suffer from complications from diabetes.  Isn't that what you want to achieve....to live a normal, healthy life?

We can't force you to do something that you don't want to do, we can only recommend what we do to help you combat diabetes.  If you will just try what we recommend, I think that you will feel so much better than you do right now.  It's your life, so you need to do whatever you think is best for you, and we hope that what you decide to do, is what we are all suggesting, because we all want you to live a long and healthy life.  We are all here for you, and we are rooting for you to succeed!  That's what this forum is all about...

karmiko

Thank you so much for your response, I know I will need a lot of support and this group is proving to be very helpful.

karmiko
7 hours ago, adiantum said:

Motivation comes easy especially when you look at the alternative.

Who would want to eat  high carb foods that could cost you  your eyesight, kidneys , feet or your life.

I know I  cant tolerate these foods & certainly wouldnt like to be cared for as  it would become self inflicted knowing I have d.

Its not a big deal.. I dont feel deprived.

Yes, I occasionally cheat, but double up on exercise to try &  keep my blood flowing freely & not thick  like cornsyrup.

Our food choices are great. Cheese, eggs, nuts. Meat if thats your choice, non root vegetables provide a varity of meals.

Breakfast has become my favorite meal  now , so will have ommelet, asparagus & cheese or this morning it was eggplant parmigiana .

Theres some good recipes in the forum or  google low carb whatever.

The best part is... I feel healthier now then I have in 40 years.

meyery2k

@karmiko - I was diagnosed about 5 years ago.  Obese, no energy, high BP, just generally not in good health.  I visited the ADA site and was encouraged that I could eat the same things, just in moderation.  The logic, however, didn't sit right.  I know that carbs are readily converted to glucose so how could eating them be good for me?  

I have seen friends and family lose limb, and life, to complications from uncontrolled diabetes.  That motivates me.  I realize I am mortal, but not going out that way, thank you.

I cast my net to Google and found this site.  I was skeptical.  After some thought, I figured people with diabetes that are still living would know more about it than anyone else and gave it a try.  It was like hitting a reset switch for me.  Within 1 year I lost 100 pounds and started running 5 K's.  When I started walking, I couldn't even go up a flight of stairs without being winded.  I discovered my passion for cycling and that, with diet, helps keep diabetes in check.  I do not need medicine and my A1c is in the high 4's consistently.

It was hard at first but the small changes I made and the progress encouraged me to adapt.

My diabetes is not reversed.  If I eat too many carbs, my glucose goes up and stays there too long.  I am clearly insulin resistant and, while that cannot be reversed, I can live around it.

You can find a ton of good advice here and, perhaps, make some friends too.

Start with small changes, make them habits, then build on them.  When asked how I ride a bike 100 miles, I always answer 1 mile at a time.  Some are easy, some are tough, but they all must be ridden to hit the goal.

stevenal

Perhaps some definitions might be in order. If by "reversed" you mean cured, I will agree that the cure has yet to be found. I have found that through diet, exercise, and medication that I have in fact reversed my symptoms. I expect to be around to see a few more grandchildren.