Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
ShottleBop

Meters and codes

ShottleBop

I don't know how many of us still use meters with codes, but I just had a good reminder of how important it is to set your meter to the right code.

I've been using a OneTouch meter for the past 8 years, and for that entire time OneTouch strips have all borne code 25. Recently, I wanted to do some extra testing, and bought another brand of OneTouch-compatible strips off of Amazon. They were code 4. I remembered to set my meter's code properly before using them. This past Monday, however, when I switched back to OneTouch strips, I forgot to reset the code. My numbers seemed abnormally high all week, but I ascribed that to my having eaten my first Big Mac in over 12 years the day before (as a test). I thought my body was reacting to that. This morning, when my FBG was 112 (over 110 for the past several days), I realized that I might have forgotten to reset my meter to 25. After checking--and resetting my meter--my reading was 90. 

So--especially when you're trying out (or have tried out) an off-brand of strip--remember to check your meter's code!

One decent explanation of why meters are coded: https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/thats-test-strips-coded-diabetes-questions-answered/

Thanks, 

ShottleBop

Hammer

Hi ShottleBop!  You may want to get a newer meter, as I've found that the newer meters are more accurate.  I have both the Bayer Contour Next, and the Bayer Contour Next EZ.  They both use the same test strips, and I've found them to be more accurate than my older Bayer Contour meter.  None of my Bayer meters require coding, so it might make it one step less to get a non coding meter, so that you don't have to code the meter with every new vial of test strips.  My insurance covers my test strips, so if yours doesn't, that may be a consideration.

Dowling

I agree with hammer.  Most meters don't have codes. I use a freestyle lite and it doesn't require codes. I've tested it twice with my lab readings and it was spot on. My readings haven't varied much since I started using it so I'll stick with it until it gives me grief.

Eurotoff

Sometimes it might make it one step less to get a non coding meter, so that you don't have to code the meter with every new vial of test strips.