Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Eurotoff

hysical anxiety symptoms - muscle twitches, cramps, weakness

Eurotoff

The past week or two I’ve been totally ruled by my health anxiety. I started having a weak feeling in my left hand and I saw my Dr in relation to this and he tested my reflexes, strength and pulses and all was fine. My Dr only prescribed medication to take when I’m having a really bad moment but the problem is I’m having these every day for most of the day. Is anyone else experiencing this type of physical anxiety symptoms? This is all new to me as I’ve never experienced this type of anxiety before.

Dowling

Anxiety can't be cured with  meds. At least that's my opinion. Have you ever tried meditation. Meditation calms and relaxes a person. I do it often especially when I'm stressed. Try it. It may take a few tries to get the technique right but the more you do it the easier it becomes. When you meditate you push away all the worldly things and just concentrate on you and your well being. There is nothing magical or mystical about it. It is simply controlling your breathing and getting rid of all thought. It lowers your blood pressure and  makes you feel wonderful.

To meditate-- find a comfortable chair and sit in a relaxed pose with your hands on your tummy. Try to relax all your muscles. Close your eyes and empty your mind (that's the hard part) If a stray thought creeps in push it away and tell yourself you are not going to think of that right now. Breathe slowly and deeply so you feel your yummy rise and fall not your chest. You are trying to full the lower part of the lungs. Listen to your breathing while you feel it going in and out while keeping your mind blank. The length of time you do this depends on you. I usually find 10 minutes is enough but it depends what is going on in my life. I always feel calm and refreshed after meditating

adiantum

@Eurotoff , I'm sorry you are having these issues. 

We here dont have medical degrees so cant really help you apart from a caring role.

A GP cant be expected to know everything  which is why I'd go for a second opinion , hoping another might link to the right diagnosis.

Wishing you well & hope you find relief soon.

~Lee

Eurotoff
4 hours ago, Dowling said:

Anxiety can't be cured with  meds. At least that's my opinion. Have you ever tried meditation. Meditation calms and relaxes a person. I do it often especially when I'm stressed. Try it. It may take a few tries to get the technique right but the more you do it the easier it becomes. When you meditate you push away all the worldly things and just concentrate on you and your well being. There is nothing magical or mystical about it. It is simply controlling your breathing and getting rid of all thought. It lowers your blood pressure and  makes you feel wonderful.

To meditate-- find a comfortable chair and sit in a relaxed pose with your hands on your tummy. Try to relax all your muscles. Close your eyes and empty your mind (that's the hard part) If a stray thought creeps in push it away and tell yourself you are not going to think of that right now. Breathe slowly and deeply so you feel your yummy rise and fall not your chest. You are trying to full the lower part of the lungs. Listen to your breathing while you feel it going in and out while keeping your mind blank. The length of time you do this depends on you. I usually find 10 minutes is enough but it depends what is going on in my life. I always feel calm and refreshed after meditating

I appreciate the information and advice you have shared. For sure I will take It and hopefully, it will work.

Hammer

It depends on the anxiety that you're feeling.  Things like panic attacks, are also called anxiety attacks, are brought on by a chemical imbalance in the brain.  I sometimes get anxiety attacks for no reason, since I am not an anxious person.  Nothing bothers me, nothing worries me, and if I was any more laid back, I'd be in a coma.  I read up on anxiety attacks, as well as discussed them with my doctor, and from what I've been able to understand, these attacks can occur when you have a shortage of serotonin in the brain.  Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, that transmits signals throughout your body to your brain.  When anxiety attacks occur, your body doesn't have enough serotonin to effectively transmit their signals through the body to the brain, so there isn't enough serotonin making it to your brain, creating a chemical imbalance.  Doctors will typically prescribe a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor (SSRI),  like citalopram, that prevents the body from re-absorbing serotonin after it's been used to transmit signals to the brain, so that more serotonin remains in your body.  This helps prevent an imbalance of serotonin.  There are other brands of re-uptake inhibitors, like Prestiq, Prozac, etc., but they all do the same thing, they are all SSRI's.

If you wonder what an anxiety attack feels like, it's as if you are having a heart attack, but you aren't.  Your heart feels like it's beating out of your chest, you get light headed, weak, you sweat, your breathing becomes more rapid, you might feel weakness or numbness in your limbs, etc.  I have had a number of anxiety attacks, and the thing is, if you let them scare you, it will only feed the attack, making it feel worse.  I never let them scare me, I just ignore it and continue doing what I was doing.  I figure, if it's an anxiety attack, it will just go away.  If it is an actual heart attack, oh well, I have to die from something, right?  So either way, I ignore it.

Eurotoff

I actually tried to do so something non synthetic. It is correct that by simply controlling your breathing and getting rid of all thought. It lowers your blood pressure and  makes you feel wonderful. I found that in one of the articles I read, here - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/managing-stress-anxiety.html

Eurotoff
On 12/20/2020 at 7:53 PM, Dowling said:

Take you for sharing, and your sightful and helpful thoughts. Indeed I consider do the meditation first. Thanks again

ArrowAntoinette

I've been experiencing muscle twitches and cramps/sore muscles, mainly in my calves and forearms.  So I was recommended to rehabilitate. 

CommuniqueDiabetes

Take some time for rest. Focus on yourself and explore ways to be better.