Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

winddude

Blood sugar spikes consuming erythritol

winddude

I'm noticing some drastic spikes in blood sugar after consuming erythritol. I know all the research says it's supposed ot have zero affect on blood glucose. Has anyone else experienced spikes from erythritol?

the brand is "Lakanto". It's supposed to be an erythritol monk fruit blend, the only carbs are supposed to be from the erythritol. 

adiantum

HI windude.

Ive not noticed significant rising but lately  I only use 1 satchet of splenda  in a cup muffin

You will notice how some can & some cant which comes down to your milage may vary YMMV

winddude

Interesting video thanks for sharing, that coincides with the research I've read, but not with what I am experiencing. Several products I've ate containing erythritol, both bough and home made, my blood glucose risen from 4-5 mmol/L pre, to 12+ mmol/L within an hour or two. 

Edited by winddude

Dowling

Every diabetic is different. What you have a reaction to others may not. I don't react to any sweetener I've tried but I've never eaten much with erythritol. Maybe you should just stick to straight Monk fruit. 

CommuniqueDiabetes
On 12/29/2020 at 4:01 PM, Dowling said:

Every diabetic is different. What you have a reaction to others may not. I don't react to any sweetener I've tried but I've never eaten much with erythritol. Maybe you should just stick to straight Monk fruit. 

I agree, not one solution works for everyone. I guess you have to do more research and see what works for you.

winddude

I'm not sure, I'm thinking it may be something to do with added fiber to some products, although this recipe did not. I notice spikes after carbonaut bread from costco.

Also noticing I'm having to dose more for protein. The first few weeks of being on keto, I would take 1-3 units of novorapid throughout the day, several days with zero units, now I'm at about 15 units throughout the day generally eating less than 20-30g of carbs throughout the day. Still significantly less than on a normal plan.