Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Fasting BG of 2021

adiantum

8  It's not an allergy to fish nor iron tabs. Its probably a reaction to a spider bite thats been driving me nuts. 

I broke a rule & took a t-shirt off the clothesline & put it straight on without giving it a shake or inspection.

It left me with an angry red spot about 2inch diameter under my arm.

Hammer

A 60 (3.33) today.  FunDad, just go to WalMart and pick up one of their Relion lancing devices, as well as their Relion lancets. You could just use the Walmart stuff until you get your usual stuff, then once you've received your usual stuff, place the Relion device and lancets in a ziplock bag to keep dust and moisture off of it, and place it in your car's glovebox, that way, you'll always have it with you.

TX_Clint

No test 2nd day without power. Has been in the 20s mid 30s now going up to 40s tonight with rain. The mainland will get sleet again. I spent the day in my truck keeping warm until a pipe broke in the garage. Slipped on the ice and busted my back plus cracked my head but finally got the water shut off. So 30 degrees and soaking wet. What fun I never want anyone to have. Cooked bacon and eggs on the grill for breakie so I did have a hot meal. Things gotta get better tomorrow. I do hope the powers that be figure out that we’ve had enough and roll some power our way.

IrinaHarr

I am with TX_Clint  today, power outage right before I got up. Hope the grid is going to be less overloaded tonight with TX warming up. They were doing "rolling power outages" 30-60 min ON PURPOSE to make sure no one freezes in -24F at night. 

Anyway, I did not test this morning, was groping in the dark for wool socks 🧦 then when power came back all could think of was COFFEE!! 

TX_Clint

I wish our outage was rolling, 40 hrs out of power. The little warm up we’re getting will barely reach the mainland. Some of those on mainland have power while we sit and chill

FunDad62

@Hammer - Good idea.  I'll do that today.  I thought about going and buying a cheap meter but I'm mentally resistant to that because at one point it seemed like I had four meters lying around.  When I did that Disney World trip in 2018, I forgot my meter and went to a drug store and bought one.  Only after I drove back to the hotel did I realize it did not come with any lancets.  I just didn't check my sugar for four days and that was to be my spare.  Now I can't find any of them in my house.  I'm sure they're in a box somewhere.  My stuff should arrive today from my friend.

Diana_CT
11 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

I wish our outage was rolling, 40 hrs out of power. The little warm up we’re getting will barely reach the mainland. Some of those on mainland have power while we sit and chill

I have a grad school classmate who is living in San Antonio that I am worrying about. 

IrinaHarr

156 today, frigid temperatures are less frigid only 1F this morning and 15F later (-24Fs are over)  😎

Nebraska senators asking why the heck outages happen and that there must be reliable source of energy that does not depend on wind, like a small nuclear powered plant. Apparently "there was not enough wind in Iowa" to move wind turbines and they all "frosted up". 

adiantum

8 I've damaged the muscles of my shin & it hurts real bad. Today will be  sitting here with movies & jigsaws.

Maybe it happened when I had to play in the wind & rain & bring my gazebo/carport  home from next door & before she saw it in there.

The metal poles twisted & bent around my trees so I had to use arms & legs to free it.

at least the rain was  pleasant  summers rain. 

My heart goes out to you folk up there in the freeze.

Hammer

An 80 (4.44) today.  For those of you with no power, maybe get a kerosene heater, just in case?  With this style of kerosene heater, you can also cook on top of it.  I have one that's identical to this one, and it's designed to be placed against the wall if you want, but I've never done that, as I don't feel safe doing that.

TX_Clint

Still no test but I got power back and the house is just warm enough to take my coat off. I don't know how long it will last. I don't have water however. For one the city has turned off the water supply due to so many leaks. I have a broken spigot in my garage so I had already shut my water off. In the process of shutting my water off I slipped on the ice, flat on my back and banged my head. Now I've got bruised muscles and a headache. Oh, so much fun. I've been living in my truck taking naps between running the truck to warm up. Cooking on my grill or eating cold cuts, lol. Well this will pass and we'll get back to normal soon enough. 

Diana_CT

Today's reading was146

The storm has moved east and it is snowing this morning and it supposed to end tomorrow morning leaving around 8 inches in its wake. Not a big storm, not a blizzard just your average snow storm.

If we lose power I have a Coleman propane camp stove, a propane lantern, and a wood stove so I campout in the basement next to the woodstove. The most I that I have been without electricity for a week. I charge my electronics using my car (after I back it out of the garage), I have a 110 volt inverter to change them with.

The worst is losing power in the summer, at least in the winter I can store food out side.

IrinaHarr

TX_Clint, sorry to hear about all your troubles, our 58 min outage is nothing in comparison. I am scared of everything with open flames - candles, kerosine, etc. - unless it is outside like a gas grill. Lee, sorry to hear about your car port flying away! Hope your leg heals soon!

163 this morning, despite all meds taken and full day of fasting yesterday with no cheating. I suppose I need to exercise more with all this cold sitting shut in the house. I was terrified to get stuck outside with flat tire due to -24F temps, even half mile from home that would be unpleasant and potentially frost bite damage. Oh I know, I have spin bike downstairs!  :bike:

Edited by IrinaHarr

TX_Clint

111 today after my first good nights sleep this week. I do hope everyone stays warm out east as the system moves your way. 

adiantum

8 but it could be worse. The swelling of my lower leg goes down during the night but  its still painful to walk .

A kerosene heater is a great idea, I'd be lost without mine.

I make sure its off before I go out or to bed & put a baricade in front of it so a fluffy dog tail doesnt get singed.

Dowling
On 2/16/2021 at 7:28 AM, Diana_CT said:

This morning's reading was 136

It is a mixed up, muddled up, shook up weather, Texas has an ice storm while here in Connecticut it is supposed to bein the 50s (10C) today. 

Yes Crazy weather. Here in Northern Ontario Canada we have had mild weather and quite a few days above freezing. We only have about 4 inches of snow on the ground and only had 1 snowfall that amounted to anything. My snowplow guy is making lots of free money this year.🤭

Hammer

I guess that you could call this a wake up reading, since I didn't get to bed, but fell asleep in front of the computer once again, and I just took a reading and it was a 76 (4.22).  I seem to do this all of the time....sit in front of my computer for so many hours, fall asleep, wake up, surf the internet some more, fall asleep again, wake up and surf the internet some more, until my body feels so worn out from lack of sleep, that I finally go to bed.  I need to put the trash out for tomorrow's early morning trash pickup, but it's still snowing outside, and I don't feel like walking down my driveway in the snow, so I guess that I'll just put out the trash next Thursday for next Friday's trash pick up.  I don't have that much trash....usually one half of a large plastic trash bag, so next week, the trash bag will probably be full instead of half full.

Diana_CT

I doubt it. 

Yesterday I had scramble eggs, bacon, and an English muffin for breakfast and I skipped lunch. For dinner I had 3 pork egg rolls and I drank unsweetened tea all day. So I find it hard to believe that my reading this morning was 165. While the day before my breakfast was the same thing, dinner was stir fried chicken and my reading was 126. Both days I skipped lunch. 

The only difference was the time of the readings, the low reading was taken at 4 AM and the high one was taking at 6:30 AM.

The good news is that the snow storm passed out to sea, they were forecasting 8 to 12 inches of snow we got 2 inches even though it snow all day. 

FunDad62

Raining and 59F here this morning.  Made it to 81F yesterday.  Warmest day we've had since October.