Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Fasting BG of 2021

TX_Clint

103 this morning. Irina, the current Ham license's now are Technician, General and Extra. I now have a Technicians license and Hammer probably has Extra.

Hammer
28 minutes ago, TX_Clint said:

103 this morning. Irina, the current Ham license's now are Technician, General and Extra. I now have a Technicians license and Hammer probably has Extra.

No, I have an Advanced Class license.  This class of license is no longer offered, but it's still grandfathered in, so I decided to keep it, as it's a unique class.  When I got my license back in 1965, they had a Novice Class license, a Technician Class license, a General Class license, an Advanced Class license, and an Extra Class license.  Back then, you needed to pass a 20 question test, and be able to send and receive 5 words a minute in Morse Code, in order to get your Novice Class license, which was only good for one year and couldn't be renewed.  To move up one notch and get your Technician Class license, you had to take a 35 question test, and be able to send and receive 5 words  a minute of Morse Code.  To get the General Class license, you had to  be able to send and receive Morse Code at 13 words a minute, and take the same 35 question written test as the Technician Class license.  If  you had the Technician Class license, all you had to do was to take the Morse Code test to get your General Class license.  The Advanced Class license, required you to be able to be able to send and receive Morse Code at the same, 13 words a minute in Morse Code, but the 35 question written test was harder than the General Class license.  The Extra Class License required to be able to send and receive Morse Code at 20 words a minute, and the written test was much harder.  When I took my test for the General Class license, I was up to 22 words a minute in Morse Code, so 13 words a minute wasn't a problem for me.

Edited by Hammer

Diana_CT

Friday it was 70F (21C) yesterday it didn't make it above freezing with 40+ mph (64 kph)... ah good ol' spring. There is a good crop of potholes and the maple sap is running.

IrinaHarr

146 today, cold - took me 30 min to warm up after walking a dog.

Hammer QRZ QRZ    :)   

Hammer
1 hour ago, IrinaHarr said:

146 today, cold - took me 30 min to warm up after walking a dog.

Hammer QRZ QRZ    :)   

Yes, QRZ is what I usually call when I turn on my ham radio and try to see if anyone is on the frequency that I am tuned to.  I'll say, "QRZed the frequency...is this frequency in use?"  That's the proper protocol to use before transmitting a CQ call, just to make sure that no one else is on the same frequency.  While I may not hear anyone on the frequency, the station that is transmitting at the time, might not be readable by me, but the station that they are talking to might hear me, so it's proper etiquette to call and make sure that no one is on the frequency.

The Earth is beginning to enter a new sunspot activity cycle which will help with DX (long distance) communications.  It's been a long time since we've had this much sunspot activity, so hopefully, hams around the world will be able to make lots of DX contacts.  73's and have a good day. 

adiantum

Maple sapping fascinates me & Ive been googling images even before coffee.

Can a tree be over sapped?

Diana_CT
1 hour ago, adiantum said:

Maple sapping fascinates me & Ive been googling images even before coffee.

Can a tree be over sapped?

As far as I know they only use one tap per tree.

Instead of a bucket on the a tree they now use plastic tubing to bring the sap to a tank. They have to worry about sap rustlers they are stealing the tanks.

They used to boil down the sap into maple syrup, now they use reverse osmosis to concentrate the sap and then boil down the liquid until it is Grade A. It saves a lot of fuel. 

When I was little my family used to take a Sunday drive to someone who used to make maple syrup. I loved the smell of making maple syrup, the wood smoke and the sweet smell of the syrup. He also made maple candy. 

In town I think that there are only one farm that still makes maple syrup. 

Right now it is perfect maple syrup weather. Below freezing at night and in the 40s (4C) during the day is when the sap flow is best. 

adiantum

You have lovely memories there Diana.

I found a cartoon but its copyrighted .

Image of 1 tree with a bucket collecting sap... another tree looking miserable with many holes around the tapped area.

Caption reads" why do I always end up getting  the intern"

IrinaHarr

171 this morning, must be a fluke unfortunately it was my last test strip till new box arrives on Friday. We like watching Independence Day movie where morse code radio operators coordinated attack on invading aliens and saved the world :)

Hammer what is your call? (My hubby wants to know)

janice21475
21 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

102 today. 

KI5OTL until I can get it changed to something I can fit into my mouth and remember!

KI5OTL, Greetings Tex!  I am enjoying your journey back into the air waves. Somewhere in this house is a receiver that covers but does not transmit. To use it I need to get a new antenna put up. My husband and I liked to listen to it. Happy scanning the airwaves!

Hammer

A 42 (2.33) today.  I keep lowering my insulin dose, but my BG numbers keep dropping.  Clint, Kilo-India-5-Oscar-Tango-Lima, isn't so bad.  You could also call yourself Kilo-India-5-Over-The-Limit.😊  Now that you've gotten your license, have you gotten on the air yet?  I don't know what repeaters are in your area, so I can't help you with programming your radio.  If you tune into a repeater, the repeater has to identify itself every 10 minutes, when it identifies itself, it will tell you the PL tone (the CTCSS tone).  If the repeater is operating in the 146 Mhz part of the band, the offset it always -600 khz.  If the  repeater is operating in the 147 Mhz part of the band, the offset is always +600 khz.  If the repeater is operating in the 145 Mhz  part of the band, it can be either plus or minus 600 khz.

Edited by Hammer

adiantum

7.8 I'm getting tired of this keyboards  quirks . I have to re read my posts before clicking submit to remove the repeated letters.

The lettering is super sensitive except for the letter 'n' which sometimes refuses to print .

It causes most  issues in passwords where I cant see.

Hammer

Lee, I'm also having an issue with my keyboard.  It seems to randomly place an extra space between words, so I try to go back and check to see if there is an extra space between words, and delete that extra space.