Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Fasting BG of 2021

Diana_CT

My reading this morning was 131.

My backyard spotlight was going on and off, I got up to see what was causing it to cycle on and off. It turned out to be a couple of rabbits doing what rabbits do in the spring. 

adiantum

7.2 The dawn sky is beautiful shades of gold and pink, yet the air is filled with sireens which suggests someones in trouble.

Me? Filled with dread knowing I have   to  present  blood & urine today knowing I've been a bad girl lately.

It couldve been worse..  the recent rains got into the cars security system .

Yesterday, I couldnt lock the car but could hear the system  clunking away as I was driving, so was in fear it would cut the engine.

I guess thats when this stress started.

It's days like this I'd rather make the world stop  and do jigsaws all day.

Edited by adiantum

adiantum

Cars electrical system are more dangerous then I imagined yesterday.

This story is incredibly sad..

Police investigate flood death

An investigation is underway into the death of a man who became trapped in his car after driving into floodwaters in Sydney's north-west.

The 25-year-old Pakistani national rang triple-0 himself and was on the phone for nearly 45 minutes before the operator lost contact with him.

He was driving a brand new hire car and was on his way to the first day of a new job, when the accident at Glenorie occurred.

Police detective inspector Chris Laird said police divers found the car six metres underwater with the man's body still inside, many hours later.

He said there was evidence the man tried to get out but was not able to and the investigation would examine whether the car's electrics totally failed, preventing his escape.

IrinaHarr

159 this morning, got my second shot of Moderna vaccine 30 min ago :)

I still have 4 boxes (4 months supply) of Trulicity in the fridge and I wondered what to do with it. Doctor did not take it to give to another patient - their protocols do not allow to do that...

Edited by IrinaHarr

Hammer

Lee, I have never understood how someone can get trapped in a car that is being flooded with water, or that has been driven into a lake, pond or whatever, and is under water.  If a car is under water, and the doors and windows can't be opened, just place your feet on the front windshield, and push as hard as you can and the windshield will pop out.  That's how they remove a broken windshield to replace it.  I've watched them replace my windshields when they were broken, and I was surprised with how easy it is to just put your feet on it, and push it out.  A windshield is held in place with a type of sealer...that's all.  The molding around the windshield is just for looks, as it doesn't help hold the windshield in place.

TX_Clint
29 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Lee, I have never understood how someone can get trapped in a car that is being flooded with water, or that has been driven into a lake, pond or whatever, and is under water.  If a car is under water, and the doors and windows can't be opened, just place your feet on the front windshield, and push as hard as you can and the windshield will pop out.  That's how they remove a broken windshield to replace it.  I've watched them replace my windshields when they were broken, and I was surprised with how easy it is to just put your feet on it, and push it out.  A windshield is held in place with a type of sealer...that's all.  The molding around the windshield is just for looks, as it doesn't help hold the windshield in place.

The water pressure on the outside of the windshield prevents you from popping it out underwater. That is why they usually break into the back window in a rescue where the vehicle is usually nose down with air trapped in the back window. The water pressure helps them bust out the window. The best option you have once the electronics has shorted out is to open a door. But you must open the door immediately upon hitting the water and before you sink. Once sinking you must break the glass. Hence, little tools are made and advertised to shatter auto glass in an emergency.

meyery2k

I remember, in a driving course, we were told if we went into the water and couldn't open the window, not to panic.  Try to wait calmly for the car to fill with water and then the door should open since the pressure between the outside and the inside are now equal.  Take a few deep breaths before the car is filled and hold that last one.

I can't imagine keeping calm to remember all that.  Poor guy.  What a terrifying end.

adiantum

I dont think  drivers stop to think where that displaced water goes as they drive through a flooded road.

A friend said each passing car pushes more water through her house.

even worse.. it could rob a struggling animal its life as they struggled to breathe.

I'd never drive through a flooded road  as I wouldnt know if there was a pot hole  or a collapsed road lurking beneath that water.

That young man is uppermost on my mind.. At 25yrs he'd be so excited about starting his new job yet not confident to ring them to say he was unable to cross the road. Perhaps he didnt know how deep the water was.. maybe there were no signs.

Theres many images of people being rescued through the car windows or on the car roof... driving in those conditions isnt for me.

FunDad62

I keep an emergency tool in my truck.  It has a hammer-pin on it for breaking glass and a seatbelt cutter.  My fear is if I'm in an accident and things get shaken around, I won't be able to find it.  But I really bought it in case I roll up on another emergency (ex-firefighter, ya know?).  I really need to buy a fire extinguisher to keep in my vehicle also.

I read a store once about an elderly couple driving out west when a big storm came up.  Lightning hit their vehicle and fried all of the electronics, and it caught fire.  They could not get out and were about to burn to death when a trooper happened to see it and stopped and got them out.

IrinaHarr

156 today. Still no side effects after the 2nd dose of moderna vaccine, it's been 15 hrs. I've got myself Sleepy Time tea with extra valerian root in it and made a strong brew last night - Slept like a baby :)

I would not be able to keep calm, I do not swim. I do not faint either, so would probably go banging red on face till break the window or die. MIL gave me orange tool with sharp point to break window, I always wondered why. Apparently in Minnesota people often drive into lake or another body of water.

meyery2k
6 hours ago, adiantum said:

I'd never drive through a flooded road  as I wouldnt know if there was a pot hole  or a collapsed road lurking beneath that water.

In cycling, while it is fun to ride through puddles, it is strongly discouraged.  You quickly learn why when you encounter your first hidden pothole.  Not only can you crash but you can wreck the rim which can be an expensive replacement and result in the walk of shame home.

92 today.

adiantum

It was lovely seeing my GP  but I wont get the lab results until Thursday.

It was my first visit to a shopping plaza since covid and I became a shopaholic.

Feeling guilty in leaving my dog home alone  I spent $35 on dog treats, which will have to be donated to dogs in the park as it seems  my boy wont eat processed food. 

We've had so much rain that the hyacinth baskets have become mouldy. I bought several for the office to keep junk in, even the brand new one has mould.

Diana_CT

Yesterday the temperature got up to 75 (24C or 297Kelvin) so I open all the windows and instantly my nose started running, and I started sneezing. Ah... the spring allergy season has begun.

IrinaHarr

157 today, we had cool down and tomorrow is supposed to be a nice warmer day. Looking forward to walking the dogs.
I got a slightly swollen arm after my 2nd vaccine shot two days ago and a hint of ache in my knee joints; took one tylenol as recommended by the doctor.

Happy TGIF!

Hammer

A 63 (3.5) today.  Back in 1970, I had bought my first new car....a Dodge Cornet Super-Bee, which was Dodge's version of the Plymouth Road Runner. (see the picture below).  I was living at home with my parents, when we had a tropical storm hit, and since we lived on a low lying street, the tremendous amount of rain flooded the street.  My stepdad was concerned about the flooding, so I ran out and moved his car up a hill to avoid the flood waters.  I came back down to move my car, but by the time I got to my car, the rain had stopped and the flood waters had receded.  I walked back up the hill and brought my stepfather's car back down and parked it alongside our house, in front of my car.  I went inside and changed clothes, since I was soaked from the rain.  We were sitting in front of the TV when it sounded like the rain had started again, so I looked outside and it had.  Since the street had been flooded a short while ago, it didn't take long for our street to flood again, so I ran out and moved my stepdad's car again.  I came back to get my car, but the flood waters were pushing it back, and my tires just spun on the road and I couldn't get traction.  I decided to let the flood waters push my car back to where the water wasn't so deep, so I pushed in the clutch and let that happen.  As I got back to the closest intersection, I could hear a car beeping at me, and there was a car stalled in back of me, so I steered my car to the opposite side of the road, and as I was about to pass this other car, I rolled the passenger window down, and the driver of the car told me that there was an open manhole at the intersection, on his side of the road.  I let my foot off of the brake to let the water keep pushing me back, but when I looked out the front windshield, the water was coming over the hood of the car, and the car stalled because of the water.  I managed to get the car pulled up against the curb, and decided that I wasn't going to abandon the car, since it was only 8 months old.  Well, I began to feel the water on my legs, so I turned on the interior lights, and the water was up to the top of my seat.  I rolled the window down and the water was up to my door knobs.  I decided that it wasn't worth staying in the car, so I got out, and slowly made my way up a hill that led to the opposite side of my house.  When the rain stopped, my stepdad and I went out to get my car, but it had floated away and was sitting on someone's front lawn.  I got in, and I could see the sediment level which indicated how high the water got inside the car...it was above my rear view mirror.  Had I stayed in the car, I would have drowned.  So, I guess you don't have to drive into a lake, in order to be trapped underwater in a car.

This was the car that got flooded out.  This is exactly like my car, only I had replaced the blue rims with chrome mag rims.

1970-dodge-super-bee-driving-action.thumb.jpg.73917c7ffadab2f5075f5921a6b6e467.jpg