Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Fasting BG of 2021

Hammer
1 hour ago, adiantum said:

Slept 10 hours  through our coldest night of the year.

Let me guess, it was 80°F (27°C).:rofl:

An 83 (4.61) today.

adiantum

No.. it was 17C which must be close to freezing .

I had to get out of bed  for another blanket & bed socks.. it was that cold.

eh... you just wouldnt understand just how tough I am to cope with such extremes . :D

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Let me guess, it was 80°F (27°C).:rofl:

IrinaHarr

157 today, Spring here too early and everything is green and blooming. I did get tulips after all, puppy girl did not get them all dug up in the Fall :)

FunDad, congratulation on moving in your own house again. That before and after photos of the garage are like magic - great painting work!

20210411_104423 (1).jpg

janice21475
On 4/11/2021 at 7:59 AM, FunDad62 said:

Move went good.  Have one more load to go get today and then clean up the apartment.  This is what I was greeted with this morning.

I'll never forget this poem I learned as a child.

Red sky at night, sailor's delight,

Red sky at morning, sailor, take warning.

adiantum

It was colder then I thought & was actually 12C/53F...yup.. I'm OK now that Ive unpacked my bedsocks.

I cope better when we slip into the next season gradually, but Antarctica sent a wave of chill  up to us early.

I havnt got a visit to Antarctica on my bucket list.

Papua New Guinea PNG was always on my list, but I'm no longer into hiking through jungles... so here I sit to see the world online.

Diana_CT
45 minutes ago, adiantum said:

Papua New Guinea PNG was always on my list, but I'm no longer into hiking through jungles... so here I sit to see the world online.

That is one of the places that my father was stationed at during WW II.

adiantum

There were  some horrific battles fought there over a four month period  Diana.

Date 21 July – 16 November 1942
Belligerents
23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%281912-1 United States
22px-Flag_of_Japan_%281870%E2%80%931999% Japan
Commanders and leaders
United States Douglas MacArthur
Australia Thomas Blamey
Australia Sydney Rowell
Australia Edmund Herring
Australia Arthur Allen
Australia George Vasey
Empire of Japan Harukichi Hyakutake
Empire of Japan Tomitarō Horii
Strength
30,000[1] 13,500[2]
Casualties and losses
625 killed
1,055 wounded
4,000+ sick[3]
~ 2,050[4][notes 1]
~ 4,500 including sick.[5][notes 2]

Diana_CT
32 minutes ago, adiantum said:

There were  some horrific battles fought there over 

My father was over there in late 1943 in an Army anti-aircraft battalion, he was a major. He joined the National Guard back during the depression. Before the anti-aircraft battalion he was in coast artillery defending a navy base from Germany submarines. 

Hammer

Lee, I don't know the temperatures that you get year round in your country, but do you ever get snow in your neighborhood?  I'm asking because if you don't, you would never know the serenity of sitting in your house while there was a major snowfall happening outside.  The peaceful quiet that occurs when you sit in front of a window, watching the heavy snowfall, is something that everyone needs to experience.  Watching the snow as it falls to the ground, especially when it's a major snowfall, is better than meditating because it relaxes you in a way that nothing else could.  The snow creates a magical wonderland of a beautiful white blanket, that makes the world look like a pristine, angelic place.

Edited by Hammer

Diana_CT

136 this morning

Strange thing has happened my last two days. I put the test strip into the meter, it cycles through the turn on screen and the little blood drop flashes indicating it is ready for a sample. I put a drop of blood on it but instead of the countdown it continues to flash like it never registered the sample. I replace it with another test strip and it works fine. Of course the first time I get a big drop of blood and the other times I have to try 3 or 4 times just to get a tiny drop of blood.

ran23

111 during coffee.   when my ReLiOn acting like it didn't see the strip a few times, I replaced it.  

adiantum

Yay FunDad has a new puppy!!!

Ran, do you replace  the meter or the strip?

Hammer, I dont even get a frost here, probably because I'm very close to  a large salt water lake .

When travelling ,I've not seen gentle snow falls only brutal cold winds that I'm sure shoved the snow  down into my lungs.

I dont enjoy the cold.

Its 12C / 53F & I'm rugged up even wearing a beanie with the kero heater on.

Not that I do so well in the heat. My face was badly burnt on Sunday while sitting in the park.

It mustve blistered because my face was weeping liquid on nose , forehead & chin....and it hurts real bad.

Edited by adiantum

TX_Clint

92 today. Well Hammer if you like that kind of peace and quiet you should try walking around outside while the eye of an enormous hurricane passes overhead. The eye of hurricane IKE took an hour to pass over my house so quiet I really heard the sound of silence. Then the back wall hit like a sledge hammer. 

Hammer

A 79 (4.39) today.  Yes Clint, I've always been amazed at the eye of a hurricane.  What drew my attention to it was a fictitious movie, where astronauts were not able to get their spacecraft down to Earth, and mission control needed to launch another spaceship, but, even though they had the spaceship on the launch pad, they were in the midst of a bad hurricane, and they couldn't launch in those type of winds.  One mission control operator noticed that the eye of the hurricane was going to pass directly over the launch pad, and when everyone saw that, they hurriedly prepared the launch, and when the eye hit the launch pad, they were able to successfully launch the space craft.  That was the first I had ever heard of the eye of a hurricane being so still.

ran23
5 hours ago, adiantum said:

Yay FunDad has a new puppy!!!

Ran, do you replace  the meter or the strip?     Replaced the Meter, nice to have a spare.  

Hammer, I dont even get a frost here, probably because I'm very close to  a large salt water lake .

When travelling ,I've not seen gentle snow falls only brutal cold winds that I'm sure shoved the snow  down into my lungs.

I dont enjoy the cold.

Its 12C / 53F & I'm rugged up even wearing a beanie with the kero heater on.

Not that I do so well in the heat. My face was badly burnt on Sunday while sitting in the park.

It mustve blistered because my face was weeping liquid on nose , forehead & chin....and it hurts real bad.

FunDad62

I've seen snow maybe 5 times in my life.  We had a "blizard" in 1993 when I lived in Atlanta.  Four inches in a few hours.  Shut the city down.  Lol.

I'm like Clint.  A hurricane guy.

Diana_CT

My reading this morning was a beautiful 116.

I have been through both, an eye of a hurricane and blizzards.

Back in the late 70s we had a,Cat 3 hurricane pass over the town. The winds were horrible and then nothing and the sun was out, eventually the wall clouds could be seen coming and everyone went back inside.

What is worse is the rain! 

I remember Tropical Storm Sandy dumped 8 inches of rain. 

I remember the flap Rush Limbaugh started by saying that we wimps, that it was only a tropical storm.  But the thing is all that rain came down into the valley and caused massive flooding. A friend's town in Vermont had all the roads washed out, it was completely isolated. National Guard helicopters had to bring in food and water, it took months to get a road open to the town, 10 miles of roadway had to be reconstructed. 

As for blizzards we get them much more often, the last one was about the time that I joined the forum, we got dumped on with 4 feet of snow (about 1.3m) with drifts over 6 feet (about 2m). Parts of the state were without power for over a week and that means no heat in the middle of winter. But I am am right off the main powerline for half of the town, so for me it was only a couple of days.