Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Fasting BG of 2021

adiantum

6.9 It seems Ive had a false sense of security even within the front yard.

Two gates each with padlocks. The driveway gates are about 4' 6" & the pedestrian gate & fence about 3'6" with spikes along the top.

Yet, at 7am I opened the door to find the postie had delivered a large parcel at the front door.

I've no idea why he didnt just drop it over the fence. I'll go out after coffee to see if theres any body parts hanging off the spikes.

Crikey, that could be a huge compensation payout .

Diana referring to the migration of animals, this link tells of the worst predator of all  hunting  closer to the arctic. Humans.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-13/regime-shift-is-taking-place-as-arctic-sea-ice-melts/12956328?nw=0

FunDad, Ive always thought bell peppers were smaller & more shaped like a bell , so I too googled & found this.......

" there is actually no difference between the two as a bell pepper is just another capsicum. ... It is just called capsicum in India, New Zealand, and Australia. In Britain, it is called red pepper or green pepper or chili pepper. In the U.S. and Canada, the large capsicum form is known as a bell pepper"

TX_Clint
1 hour ago, adiantum said:

6.9 It seems Ive had a false sense of security even within the front yard.

Two gates each with padlocks. The driveway gates are about 4' 6" & the pedestrian gate & fence about 3'6" with spikes along the top.

Yet, at 7am I opened the door to find the postie had delivered a large parcel at the front door.

I've no idea why he didnt just drop it over the fence. I'll go out after coffee to see if theres any body parts hanging off the spikes.

Crikey, that could be a huge compensation payout .

Diana referring to the migration of animals, this link tells of the worst predator of all  hunting  closer to the arctic. Humans.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-13/regime-shift-is-taking-place-as-arctic-sea-ice-melts/12956328?nw=0

FunDad, Ive always thought bell peppers were smaller & more shaped like a bell , so I too googled & found this.......

" there is actually no difference between the two as a bell pepper is just another capsicum. ... It is just called capsicum in India, New Zealand, and Australia. In Britain, it is called red pepper or green pepper or chili pepper. In the U.S. and Canada, the large capsicum form is known as a bell pepper"

Living in Texas where peppers are an every day part of the cuisine everyone knows it's just not that simple. Give this a short read.. https://www.jessicagavin.com/types-of-peppers/  You would never want to mistake a bit of bell pepper with a bit of habanero. In fact if you handle a habanero pepper when cooking you'd best be wearing gloves or scrubbing your skin before you touch anything.

Hammer

I'd much rather just buy orange bell peppers, as opposed to trying to grow them, what with my bad back and arthritis, I mean, for $1.38 for one orange bell pepper at Wal-Mart, trying to grow them myself would not be worth it. (actually, trying to grow anything wouldn't be worth it to me, as my back couldn't handle it.)

adiantum

Diana, that's great news.

I hope you soon feel like Wonder Woman as you go about your way knowing covid cant get you.

Hammer, it's not just to save money. Home grown food tastes better. Theres no waste as you pick  the fruit at the size you want.

$1.38 ea is remarkable as I  pay $3.80Coles Yellow Capsicum Approx. 320gColes Yellow Capsicum Approx. 320g

Approx. 320g  $11.90 per 1Kg

FunDad62

I seem to be stuck in the 90's this week.  Lol.

Growing vegetables is just fun to me.  I only plant a couple of each vegetable.  Nothing too difficult.  This year I'm thinking about growing them all in big pots.  Then I won't have to deal with weeds and I can assure good soil.

Diana_CT
43 minutes ago, FunDad62 said:

Growing vegetables is just fun to me.  I only plant a couple of each vegetable.  Nothing too difficult.  This year I'm thinking about growing them all in big pots.  Then I won't have to deal with weeds and I can assure good soil.

I tried growing vegetables once but I got tired fighting the deer, chipmunks, bird, and the other critters. I was walking out to the vegetable patch to pick the cherry tomatoes and they were all gone! As I watched the last one disappeared before my eyes, and a chipmunk with it cheeks full ran off.

My neighbor has an eight foot fence around his vegetable patch to stop the deer, but the small critters were getting through the fence so he changed the fence to one with smaller holes, but then rabbits dug under the fence so he dug down two feet to bury part of the fence. Then the birds stole his blueberries so now he has netting over the eight foot fence.

Hammer
14 minutes ago, Diana_CT said:

I tried growing vegetables once but I got tired fighting the deer, chipmunks, bird, and the other critters. I was walking out to the vegetable patch to pick the cherry tomatoes and they were all gone! As I watched the last one disappeared before my eyes, and a chipmunk with it cheeks full ran off.

My neighbor has an eight foot fence around his vegetable patch to stop the deer, but the small critters were getting through the fence so he changed the fence to one with smaller holes, but then rabbits dug under the fence so he dug down two feet to bury part of the fence. Then the birds stole his blueberries so now he has netting over the eight foot fence.

Exactly!  The amount of time and effort required to grow your own food, isn't worth it to me.  If I want home grown food, I'll just go to the local farmer's market and get it, but to me, food is food.  Does home grown taste better than store bought?  I don't know, it all tastes the same to me, so I'll just buy the store bought food.  I am not a connoisseur of foods, so if it's edible, then I'm okay with that.  Remember, I'm happy to just open a can of vegetables, and eat the vegetables right out of the can.  Matter of fact, I have 10 cans of canned vegetables that I just bought, sitting on my stove, and they will be my dinner for the next 10 days.

FunDad62

Maybe it's a northern climate thing?  I've never had any issues with critters.  Don't have chipmunks down here.  Deer don't come around neighborhoods much.  Lucky I guess.

Diana_CT
1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Exactly!  The amount of time and effort required to grow your own food, isn't worth it to me.  If I want home grown food, I'll just go to the local farmer's market and get it, but to me, food is food.  Does home grown taste better than store bought?  I don't know, it all tastes the same to me, so I'll just buy the store bought food.  I am not a connoisseur of foods, so if it's edible, then I'm okay with that.  Remember, I'm happy to just open a can of vegetables, and eat the vegetables right out of the can.  Matter of fact, I have 10 cans of canned vegetables that I just bought, sitting on my stove, and they will be my dinner for the next 10 days.

Not only that but they all come ripe at the same time. 

When I was working before I retired, people with gardens used to bring a basket of peppers, zucchini, or tomatoes, or green beans and give them away.

At my cottage I planted a row of blueberry bushes by the road for the birds and anyone who wants to pick them. 

meyery2k

97 today.   Bella, the calico cat, nearly sent an email to someone plus 57 others while I was out.  I should practice better computer security even when I am the only human here lol...

No photo description available.

IrinaHarr

154 today, sunny snow is melting...

Looking forward to Summer and tomatoes grown in my garden, store bought does not taste the way tomato picked of the wine taste and smell. When we lived in the country I was angry at "critters", throwing rocks at the deer and yelling. That was before I understood that fighting nature is unproductive. We built a garden corral and put the nylon netting all around it which helped. Now I need to put kennel walls around my flower beds, new puppy LOVES to dig and we do not want any unpleasantness to happen in Spring when my bulbs are sprouting ;)

Edited by IrinaHarr

IrinaHarr
2 hours ago, Diana_CT said:

Then the birds stole his blueberries so now he has netting over the eight foot fence.

He did not read small print in the plant catalog, it says "birds will eat the berries" - I swear I read it in one of gurney's catalogs next to raspberries variety.

Edited by IrinaHarr

Hammer

Sorry, but depending on where you buy tomatoes, they can taste just as good, if not better, than home grown tomatoes.  There was a mom and pop place here that would sell a variety of things, and one of the things that they sold were tomatoes.  I asked them once where they got them, but I don't remember where they said they got them from.  Anyway, these tomatoes were perfect, not just in color and shape, but the taste was excellent.  Whenever I would be invited to a relative's house for dinner, I would buy them some of these tomatoes, and the relatives couldn't believe how great they tasted.  This was before  Easter, when local tomatoes were not in season.  Local tomatoes here are typically not in season until the middle of summer, so getting tomatoes that tasted this good before Easter were unheard of.  Unfortunately, this mom and pop store closed up a few years ago, as the mom and pop that owned the store got too old to keep it open, so they sold it.

ran23

108 today.   Bell Peppers were the only problem veggie I tried growing, some kind of bugs/worms. Tomatoes, squash, and green onions are fine. 

Diana_CT

There are a lot of road side farm stands in town that fresh produce (but they are getting fewer).

I had a high school friend that had a farm and he used to sell fresh vegetables at a roadside stand, but he just sold it and now has 30 homes on the property and now he lives down in Florida.

adiantum

Mike, dont be alarmed if the FBI come knocking at your door suspecting the cats sending out coded emails.

Ive heard of a dogs owner breaking into the pound to rescue his dog but a cat person can  go off the deep end if his cat gets impounded.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/13/armed-ex-soldier-storms-animal-shelter-to-get-cat-back-report/ 

So many years ago when I was a domestic goddess, I'd not only grow vegetables but I'd also  preserve them.

A jar of pickled veges makes a nice gift. Ive also bought eggs from the farms roadside stand & pickled them.

Since the male dog moved in ,all of my vegetables & special plants have to be planted in pots .

He actually stumbled when trying to wee high enough to get the overhanging parsely.

A gardener friend always had an assortment of tennis or badminton raquets at his back door.

He wasnt the sporting type but he & his friends would take a raquet & head to the garden to attack the cabbage white moth.

There was exagerated air swings & fancy footwork with lots of laughter.

I'm sure some men never grow up.:rofl:

Diana_CT

Yesterday was a disaster! 

It started off with no hot water,  my oil hot water heater tripping off when I went to take a shower before going to get my COVID-19 vaccine. I am going to have to have hot water heater repaired, I forgot about having the furnace and the hot water heater cleaned. So I rescheduled my appointment for the COVID-19 shot for Tuesday. 

Then my garage door opener broke and I couldn't open the garage door so I had to cancel my appointment. I call about 6 or 7 garage door companies and I finally got one to come out to fix it today. 

FunDad62

House inspection is this morning.

@Diana_CT - If you didn't know.....most garage door openers have a rope with a small handle hanging from them.  If you pull it, it disengages the opener from the door so you can open it manually.