Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Fasting BG of 2021

Diana_CT
1 hour ago, FunDad62 said:

@Diana_CT - If you didn't know.....most garage door openers have a rope with a small handle hanging from them.  If you pull it, it disengages the opener from the door so you can open it manually.

After 30 years the springs broke.

The repairman just left. New rollers, new springs, and new garage door opener.

Diana_CT
16 hours ago, adiantum said:

A gardener friend always had an assortment of tennis or badminton raquets at his back door.

He wasnt the sporting type but he & his friends would take a raquet & head to the garden to attack the cabbage white moth.

There was exagerated air swings & fancy footwork with lots of laughter.

I'm sure some men never grow up.:rofl:

My friend who had a farm used to sit up on his back porch with his .30-06 picking off the woodchucks eating his plants. 

We had about two dozen working farms in town, many of them had cows, orchards, and raised vegetables to sell at roadside stands. now there is only 2 left the rest are housing developments. When I was little we used to walk through the woods to the pastures for a dairy farm, they had a ice cream store. You couldn't get any fresher made ice cream anywhere. One of my high school classmates farm went back to the Revolutionary war.

Edited by Diana_CT
added about the farms

IrinaHarr
22 hours ago, meyery2k said:

Bella, the calico cat, nearly sent an email to someone plus 57 others while I was out.  I should practice better computer security even when I am the only human here lol...

The cats, they are organized, organized!!...

154 today, rain. Pups tracking mud from outside, Miss Muddy Paws broke through the defences and jumped on the bed... hence duvet is in the washer right now :)

meyery2k

95 today.  The vog (volcanic smog) was thick in Hilo yesterday.  Most of the time the prevailing trade winds blow the smoke away but the wind was in the nearly opposite direction yesterday.

Image may contain: sky, ocean, twilight, cloud, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: sky, cloud, twilight, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: sky, ocean, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

FunDad62
1 hour ago, Diana_CT said:

After 30 years the springs broke.

The repairman just left. New rollers, new springs, and new garage door opener.

Oooooooh.

Edited by FunDad62

TX_Clint
2 hours ago, meyery2k said:

95 today.  The vog (volcanic smog) was thick in Hilo yesterday.  Most of the time the prevailing trade winds blow the smoke away but the wind was in the nearly opposite direction yesterday.

Image may contain: sky, ocean, twilight, cloud, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: sky, cloud, twilight, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: sky, ocean, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

I do hope the old girl Kīlauea only has an upset tummy and doesn't vomit like usual. Best of luck.

adiantum

"Vog" my new word for the day.

We get the most beautiful sunsets when Indonesias volcano erupts.

Farmyards gate sales are threatened with extinction because of housing estates. Our food bowl is essential for our existense.

I didnt drive out to the plum orchard this xmas. Their plums taste divine & nothing like those in the stores.

The local peach orchard has been taken over  as a housing estate. 

One gardener 30mins away had a few box trailers chained to trees & an honesty box to leave $'s when you buy a variety of vegetables.

Another gardener sells flowers. Beautiful Dahlias of all colours & sizes that I cant resist buying several bunches.

I hate their perfume, but a fan nearby disperses most of it while I enjoy the vibrant colours.

Irina, "duvet" is another different word, we call it a  doona.

Edited by adiantum

Hammer

A 92 (5.11) today.  DianaCT, years ago I had a spring break on my garage door also.  The door was a heavy wooden door, and I doubt that I could have manually raised it with a broken spring.  I installed my electric door opener myself, and it's been working for many years.  The only repair that it needed, was when a starting capacitor went bad, so I got a replacement, and replaced it myself.  I now have a more modern, metal garage door, that has a much higher "R" rating, so it insulates better.

IrinaHarr
5 hours ago, Diana_CT said:

I had the garage door repaired; new springs, a few rollers, and I got a new opener with wifi, heaven knows why a garage door opener needs wifi.

It is very useful, we ourselves sometimes forget if we closed garage door for sure. You can look it up on the app and close if it is open. Also I find it convenient when walking the dog - dont need a key to fumble getting into front door (and my storm door is locked from inside as well).

156 today, we have winter wonderland right now - blizzard warning till 6pm today. Miss Muddy Paws is now robed in small snow balls all over her legs and belly but the pups are enjoying the snow; neighbor's pitbull girl had full body suit this morning - a wimp compared to our cairns :)

janice21475
2 hours ago, IrinaHarr said:

neighbor's pitbull girl had full body suit this morning - a wimp compared to our cairns 

Pitbull's are practically naked compared to your dogs thick coat. Even our little Jack Russell is better able to tolerate the cold. :)

adiantum

Lazy day yesterday in front of the tv from 10am onwards watching cricket.

Only 4 more days to go.

Laughed at the wimpy pit bulls & hope the cairns rub it in by having great fun in the snow.

I'm glad no other dog sees my boy on hot days, as he lies up against a turbo fan while he's wrapped under a wet towel.

He brings the towel to me when it dries out. 

FunDad62

Another snafu in the house purchase saga.  Called the insurance company yesterday to get an estimate and they said the roof is original and 17 years old, and while it looks fine, the insurance companies consider that to be "end of life" for a roof (dumb because that roof could last another 5 years easy).  They won't insure it without the roof being replaced, which will probably be around $10,000.  I'm certainly not paying for it.  We told the sellers and will wait for their reply.  They'll have this issue with any potential buyers, so hopefully they'll come through somehow, but I'm not too confident they'll offer to replace the roof.

meyery2k
1 hour ago, FunDad62 said:

They'll have this issue with any potential buyers, so hopefully they'll come through somehow, but I'm not too confident they'll offer to replace the roof.

This might not be the greatest idea because I know companies like Geico and State Farm offer substantial discounts when bundling insurance but maybe a different insurance company?

Maybe split the roof repair 80/20 (80 to the seller) or even 90/10 to get their house sold to you.  If they are desperate to sell, who knows?  Like you said, it is a problem so the playing field is even for all buyers that intend to insure the property.  

Diana_CT
4 hours ago, FunDad62 said:

Another snafu in the house purchase saga.  Called the insurance company yesterday to get an estimate and they said the roof is original and 17 years old, and while it looks fine, the insurance companies consider that to be "end of life" for a roof (dumb because that roof could last another 5 years easy).  They won't insure it without the roof being replaced, which will probably be around $10,000.  I'm certainly not paying for it.  We told the sellers and will wait for their reply.  They'll have this issue with any potential buyers, so hopefully they'll come through somehow, but I'm not too confident they'll offer to replace the roof.

When I bought the cottage the insurance company wanted me to clean the gutters before they insure it.