Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Fasting BG of 2021

ran23

98 today, more landscape work.  bet those bags of river pebbles are 60+ pounds. 

Edited by ran23

adiantum

6.3 at 11am ..another 10 hour sleep.

Ran I enjoy you discussing your yardwork... that used to be  my preferred chores .

Today is too windy here  to be working or playing outdoors

FunDad62

My new backyard is like a blank slate.  All grass.  Not one tree, bush, plant, anything.  Too much grass to maintain.  I dug up a strip the other day and planted some sunflower seedlings for my daughter.  She loves them.  Going to dig up a little more today and transplant my okra.  My goal is to dig up as much grass as possible eventually!  Digging up 17 year old St. Augustine grass is hard work.  Gonna take me a few months I'm sure.  At my age and in this heat, I can't do much at one time.

adiantum

Sunflowers are fun.. I love to watch them turn so they always face the sun.

Consider the no dig method.

"........... Method to make a keyhole style no-dig garden:

• Bang a stake into the centre of the plot. Then take a 2 metre piece of rope for the radius, draw a circle, and mark it out with more stakes.
  • Mark out a smaller circle for the keyhole and stake out the path.
  • Apply generous amounts of blood and bone, lime and then water that all in. It may seem strange to fertilise a lawn, but it will accelerate the decomposition process once it's smothered with the rest of the materials. (If you are making your no-dig garden on concrete or rocky ground then make a base of leaves, twigs and seaweed.)
  • Use newspaper to suffocate the grass. It's a technique called sheet mulching and it starves the grass of light. With the help of water, lime and fertiliser, it soon rots down - meaning no more mowing. A helpful tip is to soak the newspaper first so it doesn't blow away when you're laying it. Don't be sparing with the paper, ensure the layers overlap so the grass runners don't grow through. If you have vigorous grass, such as kikuyu or couch, try two layers of paper across the plot.

A no-dig garden consists of eight 10cm layers - apart from compost and manure which should be 5cm. Remember to water each layer thoroughly as you go.

The layers:

• First layer is woodchips, followed by a dressing of blood and bone.
  • Next, a layer of green weeds or grass clippings with no seeds or runners and apply lime.
  • Number three is dry deciduous leaves or straw, followed by more blood and bone.
  • The fourth layer is sheep manure, but you could use cow. Lay it on 5cm thick followed by some lime.
  • Layer five is lucerne and blood and bone.
  • Layer six is more manure - laid 5cm thick and lime.
  • Layer seven - more lucerne and blood and bone.
  • And layer number eight is compost -just like icing on the cake.

The paths:

• To make the paths, spread wood chip mulch or sawdust along the keyhole path and the perimeter.
  • After making these layers the no-dig garden bed should be sitting about 60cm above ground. But it will settle to half this size over a week or two. It's a good idea to wait for this to happen because the decomposing materials are better to plant into.
  • But if you're itching to plant, use potting mix to get seeds and seedlings started. Just create little planting pockets, fill these with potting mix and sprinkle with a little blood and bone and rock minerals, and plant and water immediately.
  • Most vegetables and herbs can be grown in no-dig gardens. Just look for what's in season at your local nursery. But you will need to occasionally keep the bed topped up with compost, lucerne and manure just to ensure it stays at about 30 to 40 cm high. Try a drip line for watering - it works well. Just wrap it around in loops about 30cm apart. Alternatively hand water first thing in the morning - either way, no-dig beds have excellent moisture retention.

https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/factsheets/no-dig-garden/9428640

Hammer

An 82 (4.56) today.  Lee, I have the opposite problem, I can't get grass to grow.  I have numerous bare spots on my lawn, and every year, it seems as if more bare spots develop.  I've tested the soil, and it's acidic, so I threw down pelletized lime in the bare spots, waited a month for it to soak in, then threw down EZ Seed, which is a fertilized grass seed.  Not one blade of grass grew.  I had a lawn service come out, lime and fertilize my lawn in the Spring, then they came out in the fall, aerated the lawn, fertilized it again, and seeded it, and still, not one blade of grass grew the next Spring.  I was thinking that maybe I should have the lawn service come out every year, since it might take a number of years before I see results, but I have 1.2 acres of property, and treating that much lawn is expensive.

adiantum

7..I drank wine last night for the first time in years. It was only sweet moscato but went well with cheese,jazz & jigsaws.

Ran..glad the winds wont carry the stench of Laveder this far.

Hammer..your more persistent then me.  Lawn is hard work & while good for practising golf on, I cant see any other benefts.

I have a very little patch of grass so tiny that I just need a line trimmer to cut it.

If your not mowing over it too soon after seeding then I dont know what else... unless you have flocks of birds feeding.

My dog would go nuts with a lawn 1.2acres. He needs  to see a clump taller then most or a fallen branch that stands out from the rest or he cant pee.

He needs something to aim at.. His best  marker in the park is a picnic basket . I've even distracted the owners so they dont get upset & he doesnt have to stop in midstream. I dont understand why people set up a picnic on the grass in a dogs leash free area.

Hammer
4 hours ago, adiantum said:

Hammer..your more persistent then me.  Lawn is hard work & while good for practising golf on, I cant see any other benefits.

I have a very little patch of grass so tiny that I just need a line trimmer to cut it.

If your not mowing over it too soon after seeding then I don't know what else... unless you have flocks of birds feeding.

My dog would go nuts with a lawn 1.2acres. He needs  to see a clump taller then most or a fallen branch that stands out from the rest or he cant pee.

He needs something to aim at.. His best  marker in the park is a picnic basket . I've even distracted the owners so they don't get upset & he doesn't have to stop in midstream. I don't understand why people set up a picnic on the grass in a dogs leash free area.

Lee, having bare spots, and trying to mow over them, creates a dust cloud, which, as you have mentioned, is soil erosion.  I want to grow grass on the bare spots so that I don't have dust clouds when I try to mow over them.  When I mow over the bare spots, the dust that blows up, typically blows up over my neighbors cars and any clothes that they might have hanging out on the clothes lines, and that bothers me.  When I now come to a bare spot, I turn off the mowing deck, then, after I leave the bare spot, I turn on the mowing deck, so as to not stir up a cloud of dust.

adiantum

Hammer this has been going on too long..  circle  patches..... I reckon you have a witch's coven in your neighbourhood.

Dont tolerate it.. they will kill your lawn.

They dress up like the video  but on a dark summers night you could have 50 naked witches dancing on your grass.

Tell them to bugger off or you( might  )call the police

Dowling
16 hours ago, Hammer said:

An 82 (4.56) today.  Lee, I have the opposite problem, I can't get grass to grow.  I have numerous bare spots on my lawn, and every year, it seems as if more bare spots develop.  I've tested the soil, and it's acidic, so I threw down pelletized lime in the bare spots, waited a month for it to soak in, then threw down EZ Seed, which is a fertilized grass seed.  Not one blade of grass grew.  I had a lawn service come out, lime and fertilize my lawn in the Spring, then they came out in the fall, aerated the lawn, fertilized it again, and seeded it, and still, not one blade of grass grew the next Spring.  I was thinking that maybe I should have the lawn service come out every year, since it might take a number of years before I see results, but I have 1.2 acres of property, and treating that much lawn is expensive.

Hammer Your problem may be with the soil. What kind of soil do you have? Sandy soil won't hold the moisture for grass to grow and clay is slow to allow moisture in because it compacts. You need to add some organic matter to the soil. Do you know a farmer who has old manure. Not fresh because it has too many weed seeds in it. You want something that is at least a couple of years old. Now is the time to hire a couple of students to dig it in to your dead spots. Then wait until the weather cools to sow your grass and keep the area moist. Grass germinates in cooler weather.

Or-- If your soil is good you may have a problem with grubs or cinch bugs. To test for cinch bugs. In the evening lay a damp white cloth over a bare spot. In the morning lift the cloth and see if any small bugs are on the cloth. Get rid of the bugs and grass will grow

FunDad62

Fell asleep without taking my Trujillo.  

All those grass stories are exactly why I want as little grass as possible.  Yes nice grass looks good but requires work.  And at this house on a small lake, the geese love my yard.  I chase them off with a broom and throw ice cubes at them.  Seems to have finally worked because they don't come around my yard much any more.  There are SO many geese in this area.  Thousands.  I had a lawn like yours once Hammer but worse.  When I would "cut the grass" it was a constant dust storm.  I had to wear a mask or I'd start coughing like crazy.  The yard had very big, old oak trees that blocked the sunlight so the grass would never grow good.

Ahnanimus

Hi  guys, I  just stopped by to day hello. Glad everyone is well and I'm happy to see @meyery2kis recovering from his accident. @adiantumyour posts made me laugh as usual .

I continue to test at various times during the day  but haven't had an A1C done due to Covid restrictions but I  think I'm still doing well

Have a great week  guys 💜

Diana_CT

This morning's reading was 138

Thunderstorms to the north of me... Thunderstorms to the south of me... But they all missed me.

Sitting out on the deck last night I was watching the show Mother Nature was putting on, we used to call it "heat lightning." There are flash flood warnings all around the state from all the rain we are getting, we are something like right now the 3rd rainiest July in history. 

Dowling
7 hours ago, FunDad62 said:

Fell asleep without taking my Trujillo.  

All those grass stories are exactly why I want as little grass as possible.  Yes nice grass looks good but requires work.  And at this house on a small lake, the geese love my yard.  I chase them off with a broom and throw ice cubes at them.  Seems to have finally worked because they don't come around my yard much any more.  There are SO many geese in this area.  Thousands.  I had a lawn like yours once Hammer but worse.  When I would "cut the grass" it was a constant dust storm.  I had to wear a mask or I'd start coughing like crazy.  The yard had very big, old oak trees that blocked the sunlight so the grass would never grow good.

Having geese around might be nice if they didn't leave their huge calling cards behind. Someone should make them carry doggie bags and clean up after themselves. We have a provincial park near us with a great beach that the geese love. Stepping in one of their leavings is not pleasant

adiantum

:rock:  yay.. it's Ahnanimus..such an occasion deserves  a happy dance in the moonlight.. even though my birthday suit needs ironing:rofl:

FunDad, your fighting nature. Perhaps stop & think why you bought that place.... Was it to change it?

That lake system can hold  that number of geese..there has to be enough food to sustain them  including mosquitoes & weeds... & sunflower seeds.

Another grass story. One of the dog parks I go to  was re-turfed last year . The county leveled a section about 25yds  x 1000yds . then spread a clay based soil & leveled & compacted that. Then they got this bright idea to cover it in a plastic net like fine fiishing line. Covered that in top soil, spent mushroom compost & turf. Then heavy rain broke the drought causing erosion which exposed the mesh netting. Dogs nails get caught in it, people trip but worse is that birds get caught up in it. Yesterday a Magpie chick came to me  for treats but it had that mesh entwined through one foot  holding its claws together. It had to hop around  & would not be able to hold the perch at night. I rang native animals for advice & the best option was for me to meet them there today to try & catch it to remove the net.

A jigsaw  of an Australian outback red dirt.   road  sign reads...

" SHlT ROAD Careful Driving Techiques are Advised"

https://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=04314cf77048

Edited by adiantum

Hammer

A 72 (4.0) today.  Dowling, it's definitely a problem with the soil.  I've noticed the same problems with other people's lawns as well.  It's not a sandy type of soil, and it's not a clay based soil either.  It's just odd that when I had this house built, the grass grew in nicely, so you'd think that once I tested the soil and found it to be acidic, then threw down pelletized lime and grass seed, that grass would start growing again.:dontknow:

Diana_CT
13 hours ago, Dowling said:

Having geese around might be nice if they didn't leave their huge calling cards behind. Someone should make them carry doggie bags and clean up after themselves. We have a provincial park near us with a great beach that the geese love. Stepping in one of their leavings is not pleasant

Don't get me started on geese! 

When I went back to college they sweep the sidewalks twice a day of geese droppings. 

A friend's 5 year old daughter was attacked by geese, they knocked her over and then the geese fought over her hot dog as she laid on the ground. Stepping and pecking all over her as they fought for the hot dog. 

My reading this morning was 137.

Edited by Diana_CT
Forget to post my reading