Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Fasting BG of 2021

FunDad62

@adiantum - People have been living in this house for 18 years.  It's nothing new for the geese.  And too bad for them that I moved in here.  I haven't seen one in a week now and I'm quite happy about that.  I'm not doing anything to hurt them.  And Dowling was right.  They crap all over my yard and patio and it stains the concrete.  They're a protected species and have been allowed to over-populate just like alligators.  You see dead geese on the busy roads often.

I plan on getting a fence as soon as I can afford it.  That should keep them out.  Even though they can fly over it if they really wanted to, I don't think they would go to the trouble.  They'd just move on to someone else's yard.

adiantum

7.2  Similar to  you ran but I have to re-arrange boxes of my present but more visits to the park  is my priority.

The fence is a great idea FunDad.

Geese used to be kept on some  farms for  security purposes, they make great guard dogs.

The woman from Native Animal Trust arrived yesterday  but the injured bird was not to be seen. I fear it didnt survive the night.

Maybe because she was a stranger to them that  only 5 significant birds came fror treats. I'll never underestimate a birds brain.

They can recognise my car & my dog & know he's safe yet avoid other dogs. They seem to be aware of time & miss me if I'm too early or late.

Usually upon my arrival at least 14 appear plus about 30 of those I dont feed intentionally. I greatly  admire those that  join rescue teams & go out to help  when called.  They cant catch a bird thats in flight but as the birds trust me & take food from my hand, we'd have a good chance on catching it. 

Oh Mike, just look at that green grass :D. Nice pic!

Hammer, I'm still thinking of your grass prob. Wondering if you spread the seed the same time you spread the lime??

That might be the issue as the high  lime concentration  couldve burnt the seed coat  preventing it from germinating.         

Edited by adiantum

FunDad62

My numbers have been out of control the past 10 days or so and I have no clue why.  I was over 300 one day mid-day.

@adiantum - I may have mentioned this already but there was a goose hanging around a month or so ago with a severely broken wing.  The bone was visible and it was just dragging the ground and the bird would constantly bite at it (for weeks) trying to get it off.  I called the local bird sanctuary and they pretty much said "it was dead" because it's now vulnerable and a predator would get it and all the other geese would stay away from it.  It came around for over a month and the other geese did not abandon it.  They also said I could get a cardboard box and catch it and bring it to them.  My neighbors tried once but couldn't catch it.  It eventually stopped coming around.  

Diana_CT

121 was my reading this morning.

There were a number of pop-up thunderstorms around yesterday but missed me, but the town just north of me they had a small EF-0 tornado on the ground for about 2 miles. The weather forecaster totally missed predicting strong thunderstorms... "Tornado? What tornado? Oh, that one!" It took cellphone videos of the tornado for the national weather service to issue the warning about a half an hour after it touched down. The last tornados to strike near me was ten years ago, an EF3.

IrinaHarr

165 today, I am back after falling off the grid due to power outage!  This reading is not bad for me after the long tavel like this one (2 days without power plus 7 days travel), I was good and had not a single bite of hotel's waffles for breakfast, not a single french fry in the drive through, not a teaspoon of ice cream with in-laws. Last time I came home after dog show it was 265. I learned my lesson.

We left after two hot days in the house, I was right - it took our public power company another 4 days to restore power because so many trees and large tree limbs fell on the power lines. Dog show in Duluth, MN was great (Widget took Best of Breed in cairn terriers for 3 days in a row) and we took a stroll in the harbor, watched giant barge go throughhttps://www.duluthharborcam.com/p/canal-park-cams.html

Stayed with in-laws in Wisconsin, about 55 min drive to the show. Man, talk about living in the woods, they just got Direct TV dish 3 days ago and decent Wi-Fi in the house for internet access. I had to walk pups like 5 times a day and keep them in their travel crates in the room with door shut - large yard there ends in drop-offs on both sides and woods. If our puppy girl would have got loose I would never see here again. Ground hogs, porcupine every night on the door step chewing on the stairs, big bull snake living under large shed  - they like it, snake eats all mice better than cats.

Amazingly, my garden thrived, two large rains came through our area when we were away. My first morning home today, all appliances work, good coffee and breakfast, feeling like queen coming back from exile :) 

Edited by IrinaHarr

meyery2k

99 today.  Went to get and ECG yesterday so I got to see my heart in action.  This is all in prep to talk to a cardiologist next month.  

ran23

105 during morning coffee.  107 after pulling out 2 Hydrangeas, paved over with bricks and pebbles. 

adiantum

FunDad, it's tough  to see an injured animal knowing it's not got a happy ending.

I thought a lot of this yesterday while in the park hoping the injured Magpie would appear. It's parents did but not junior .

Watching me feed the birds was a woman  physically & very mentally disabled in a wheelchair. I think she got pleasure from watching as her loud vocals ceased. Occasionally I see paid carers bring their client to lake & park for an outing. Humans are the only animal I know of that care for the disabled.. or do primates?

Irina,thanks for mentioning groundhogs.. I just watched a fun video of a man with a family of groundhogs in his garden. Such cute critters.

One can have a lovely experience interacting with wild animals.

Yesterday I had a pair of Rainbow Lorikeets at the window in front of the desk.

Ive created a gap of about 4inch square so I can pass food out to birds as I sit at the pc.  A female rainbow comes  through the gap & climbs on the clutter or the monitor & screeches at me if I'm not fast enough to pass meat or an apple slice. She will take it from my hand but I dont touch her to spoil the experience.

While she is eating, the male is outside getting aggitated running up & down the window sill muttering away, then he will poke his head through the gap & makes what I assume is demands, as she then takes food out to him & returns indoors  to her meal.

Diana_CT

This morning's reading was a nice 111.

Yesterday there was a yellowish haze in the air from all the fires out west, 3000 miles away and it effected our weather. The weather people said that it was 10 degrees cooler because the smoke was blocking the sun light. 

IrinaHarr

164 today. Rabbits moved into our back yard while we were traveling, puppy girl runs and runs trying to find them but they all hopped away now of course 🐇  My flower and veggies bed has grown like a jungle, I found a dozen of cucumbers and 4 were really huge; I am trying out various salting and pickling recipes - know any good ones?  Shopped for some groceries yesterday, fridge was empty and squeaky clean when I got home (all groceries were thrown away before we left and refrigerator washed/sanitized). Amazing how much needed to be done after only 7 days away from home, I fell asleep as soon my head touched the pillow last night and saw dreams about car travel :)

adiantum

7.1 a fire plane left here last week to help with those fires with 44 Australian & New Zealander firefighters.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-07-13/australian-firefighters-head-to-us/439120

Irina Ive not pickled in years but its  very satisfying

Diana_CT

This morning's reading was 122.

It was a weird day yesterday. 

The sky was orange from all the smoke, when you looked out to sea instead of a grey haze it was a sickly orange. Kind of like something out of a science fiction novel.

I have to go grocery shopping today and it is mask up again, there is a mini COVID-19 outbreak on the Cape of the Delta variant among the unvaccinated and there we four or five breakthrough cases also reported. The town health director imposed a mask mandate when inside.