Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Fasting BG of 2021

adiantum

Irina, doing stupid must be global. I buy fruit online for the visiting rainbow lorikeets & was concerned when the store didnt have the 2kg/4lb pears I'd ordered.

Next order I over ordered assuming they'd not be able to supply it. What a surprise to have received 2kg/ 4lbs apples & 5kg/ 20lbs pears.

So, where are all the lorikeets? Ive not seen any since  the fruit arrived.

Last night I tried a pear.. the first Ive had in years & it was soooo good that I gathered another plus  a few cheeses & cashews. The best dinner Ive had in ages although regretted not having any red wine to go with it.

Hammer,  iceberg lettuce are the best, but buying 3.. wow. Our mums were great cooks.

Edited by adiantum

adiantum
On 8/12/2021 at 12:35 PM, Hammer said:

.  She would buy three heads of lettuce,

Hammer, it's just occured to me thats where you inherited the "buy extra" gene from.

Many times you have said that you bought extra things just  in case  something  should happen.

How many spare parts or items have you bought... even a spare car . eh.. it must be genetic.

Hammer
1 hour ago, adiantum said:

Hammer, it's just occured to me thats where you inherited the "buy extra" gene from.

Many times you have said that you bought extra things just  in case  something  should happen.

How many spare parts or items have you bought... even a spare car . eh.. it must be genetic.

Lee, actually, the buy extra gene happened because there were times when I'd run out of something on a Sunday night, and there were no stores open to run out to, to get that item.  After having this happen to me numerous times, I realized that I needed to just buy extra of everything, so that I wouldn't run out of that item at an inopportune time.  My philosophy is, I rather have it and not need it, rather than to need it and not have it.

As for cars, well, years ago, when I was still working, I was always concerned about my car not starting, and I'd have to miss work, which was a big no-no for the factory where I worked....that could get you fired.  I started amassing cars, just in case my usual work car wouldn't start.  I ended up with 5 cars, but the insurance and maintenance on 5 cars got to be too much, so I sold off 3 of my cars, and just kept 2...until BMW came out with the Mini Cooper S.  I didn't need another car, but I loved the Mini Cooper S, so I bought one.  That made me have three cars, but, well, I love cars, so it wasn't a big deal.  Years later when my son-in-law's car died, he needed a car for work, like ASAP, so I gave him my Mini Cooper S. (Yes, I have a habit of giving cars away to family, and yes, it gets expensive, but heck, they are family, so why not help them out?)  Being a senior on a fixed income, it sometimes gets hard to buy things for family and friends, but I try to do what I can because, I mean, as long as I have enough money to pay my bills each month, then, any money that I have left over I can use to give to my friends and family....I mean, how much money do you need to survive?

Diana_CT

The heat has moved east, I left the Cape yesterday and it was in the high 70s (About 25C) and when I got home it was 95 (35C) with sereve  thunderstorms just north of me. Today will be day 3 of the heatwave. 

IrinaHarr

138 this morning, we did a nice walk in the park with our dogs - comfortable 67F :)

FunDad, stay safe! Brew that coffee ;)

janice21475
1 hour ago, meyery2k said:

101 today.

Hi Mike,

Any biking is you future? I truly miss your daily rides, it was almost like being there. Are your ribs mended by now? I know it takes a long time for ribs to heal. I had a fall a few months back and broke a couple, seems like just as I decide all is well, I do a little extra something and the pain is back.  Of course, age may play a part  in that cycle. :)

Is you bike all repaired and ready for your foot on the pedal?

meyery2k

Thank you for asking.   I am cleared for the road 9/1!  I have set up an indoor trainer so I can at least turn the pedals.  The bike was repaired and is sitting there waiting for 1st ride.  The ribs healed up good.   The doctor recommended full recovery before getting on the road so that set the date.

adiantum

7 on this chilly morn. Days are lovely at 23C/73F  but it takes all day to warm the house up after nights at 9C / 48F.

I also enjoy Mikes cycling adventures along with Dianas links, e-traveling has become an adventure for me also.

Hammer, Ive bought new appliances when I see one on a great special & my old one looks like it might die one day.

I bought a new air fryer last year but the old one still soldiers on. The lockdowns mightve given the air fryer a rest as the fish co-op is beyond the 5km/3mi boundary in which we can travel, so.. Ive not had fresh fish in a long time.

Stir frys are another dish I've reduced because of the pandamic. I dont go into stores & the online shopping has  strained the stores capabilities, so getting fresh veges twice a week is no longer .

The freezer is well packed with all types of soups & yesterdays batch of vegetable soup  has added to the variety. 

I added a wombok cabbage to it & yum. womboks are low carb & filling.

Diana_CT

136 was my morning reading.

Last night I sat out on the deck having a glass of sherry before I went to bed and I was serenaded with a chorus of crickets, peepers, and frogs (the frogs add the bass), but little did I know that I was also the main course for the gnats (no-see-um).

Today will be the fourth day of the heat wave and high humidity before it moves offshore this evening. I have been cooking on the hibachi so I don't heat up the house using the stove but stepping outdoors is like going into a sauna bath.

FunDad62

This mornings tracking of Fred moves it further west so I probably won't get anything from it.  But the weather person yesterday said they are more concerned about Grace out there in the Atlantic.

IrinaHarr
20 hours ago, adiantum said:

wombok cabbage

Is that what the wombats eat? :) 

141 today, woke up at 2 am drenched in sweat (not sure why). Playing in my garden this morning, still comfortable temp, only wish is a couple of light rains.

meyery2k

Been a busy week. 

Cleared for biking on the road 9/1.  While the trainer has been great, I am looking forward to scenery.  The doctor just wants a couple more weeks for the ribs to get solid.  I can do that.  With all the attention to Afib and medication adjustment, my BP was 112/78,  The best it has been in a while.

Afib - Did the EKG, ECG (I got to see my heart working on the ultrasound), visited the cardiologist.  Looks like it will not resolve on its own so I am now on a blood thinner to reduce stroke risk and doubled up one of my BP meds, a beta-blocker, which help prevent rapid beating.  We discussed the past and how cycling has helped me keep my transformation going.  He said cycling 30 minutes a day 3 times a week was great.  I then explained, I am into long distance cycling and ride 50km on a typical day.  He commented he was going to recommend a stress test but I probably take one every time I ride.  He has a good sense of humor.  So his advice was to ride, and ride hard if that is what I do.  Don't crash (always good advice).

adiantum

7.2 & tomorrows wouldve been worse if the supermarket catered to my carb binge.

I felt sneaky adding  biscuits/cookies to my order & had to laugh, albeit bitterly at an email saying they were out of stock.

lol @IrinaHarr , I never put the two together. Hmmm I guess I wouldve felt it  if my waste was cubed  shaped:rofl:

Mike that cardiologist is a keeper.." dont crash" is an excellent recommendation.

Ive been taking Amlodipine 5mg for a month & seem to have gone through the dizzy side effect ,but am passing a lot of fluid & having weird dreams.

Yesterday my shoulder often ached for no reason  then it went down my arm. Not a shooting pain like in the movies but I took aspirin just in case it was heart related. I'll ring the pharmacist tomorow & ask if its related.

Hammer

A 40 (2.22) today.  We had a hellacious thunderstorm pass through here yesterday (Friday).  I was lying in bed, trying to take a nap, when I heard thunder.  The thunder kept getting louder, meaning that a storm was fast approaching.  I began to hear the raindrops hitting the vinyl siding on my house.  Then, all heck broke loose.  The rain started coming down in buckets, and the wind became close to hurricane speeds.  Then, power went off, which is always fun, when it's 90°F (32°C) outside, and your A/C units and fans shut down....oh, and when I lose power, I can't use my well pump, so I also don't have any water.  I looked outside, and the winds were so strong, that the buckets of rain were moving sideways.  Since I had left my computer on, when the power went off, I went into my computer room and shut down the computer properly, since I use an uninterruptible power supply, which keeps my computer powered up for a little while, allowing me time to shut down my computer, if power should go off.  Power was off for 10 or more hours, since I finally went to bed, and when I woke up, power had been restored.

FunDad62

I've been taking Amlodipine for years.

10 hours ago, adiantum said:

Ive been taking Amlodipine 5mg for a month & seem to have gone through the dizzy side effect ,but am passing a lot of fluid & having weird dreams.

IrinaHarr

136 this morning, another relatively cooler than usual day. Getting ready to go to church in person first time since March 1 2020, its a small country parish we used to belong to and no restrictions or distancing at the moment. Looking forward to see people I have not seen since 2013.