Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Fasting BG of 2021

adiantum

I also have an aversion to crates after reading a horrific case in Caifornia of cruelty ,when teenagers broke into a house.. terrorised the crated  maltese terrier by spraying her with every aerosole they could find ..fly sprays, cleaning agents ,flour ,sugar etc  . she had to be euthanased .

I must admit that I see dogs as superior to humans so treat my boy so.

I've provided him with a decent living conditions, daily visits to the park pre covid, but we all have rules.

No unecessary barking & go outside for bodily functions.

Edited by adiantum

Diana_CT

This morning's reading was 141 @ 5AM. I took the reading a little earlier than other times because my stomach was saying "feed me!"

This Sunday should be very interesting.

A Category 1 hurricane Henri is supposed to be batter the Cape all day Sunday with winds up to 74 mph (119 kph). If I lose power then I will just empty out the refrigerator and head home.

Right now the NOAA buoy off of North Carolina reports

NDBC
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 13:50:00 UTC
Winds: E (100°) at 5.8 kt gusting to 7.8 kt
Significant Wave Height: 6.9 ft
Dominant Wave Period: 9 sec
Average Wave Period: 7.7 sec
Mean Wave Direction: SE (126°)
Atmospheric Pressure: 30.13 in
Air Temperature: 82.6 F
Dew Point: 76.3 F
Water Temperature: 83.3 F

adiantum

Thats an interesting map of buoys Diana, even blinking a tsunami identification in the Pacific.

I noticed that we dont have one.

Thats a warm water temperature...hence the hurrican

adiantum

FunDad, you have reminded me of all the war wounds my house & furniture received after I adopted puppies.

The bull terrier chewed on the new timber garden furniture , the shihtzu ripped up the carpet at the front door.. I didnt realise it had rotted with the weather.

This cav found a carpet thread.. & unpicked it all along the stair. The  6mth old doberwoman  murdered the teddy bear my grandmother gave me when she thought I was dying with measles when I was 6 weeks old. Ted still lays in his casket.

The doberwoman was impounded because she was "destructive when left alone", but  Ted was her only incident.

The shihtzu was given away because she hated her sister . That amused me greatly .

This Cavalier was advertised ' free to a good home' because he bit  his humans when they tried to take his bones.

I often wondered if it was a kangaroo tail knowing he'd take on anyone that tried to steal his.

Other dogs were lost & picked up by the ranger.

All of these dogs were rescued , I've  only adopted surrendered dogs . so, I'm saying it's ok to surrender if thats your intention.

I might be a tad unique but  theres many that adopt in preference to a certain breed etc. Others have got them through the terrible puppy stages.

Perhaps I'm just a second hand rose.. I do prefer antique furniture, I love op-shopping  but both ex's were new , although well used before I discarded them

Diana_CT

My reading this morning was 136

It is getting very interesting! 

I am batting down the hatches!

Henri is making a beeline to Cape Cod Bay and then stay around there making havoc. The National Hurricane Center's cone-of-uncertainly just west of the Cape Cod Canal slowing as it bumps into a high pressure wave. It is supposed to be a Category 1 hurricane when it makes landfall on Cape Cod and then just hang around for a day as it bumps into warm front.
What I am doing…

• Filling the bathtub with water and hope doesn't leak down the drain.
  • I check the batteries in my flashlights and charging up all the battery devices.
  • Put some Ziploc bags of water in the freezer.
  • If I do lose power, I will go home.

The buoy that I was tracking hasn't report data and maybe out of service. This one is farther north in the hurricane track and doesn't report wave height.

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 10:10:00 UTC
Winds: SSE (150°) at 11.7 kt gusting to 15.5 kt
Atmospheric Pressure: 29.97 in
Air Temperature: 82.4 F
Dew Point: 79.0 F
Water Temperature: 83.5 F

090721_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png 

IrinaHarr
11 hours ago, adiantum said:

but both ex's were new , although well used before I discarded them

Ha! you are funny :)

148 this morning, looking forward to cold front tonight and some rain. Hopefully nothing violent with hail or power outage!

Diana - hope Henri weakens by the time it gets to your place and have no destructive power. 

Edited by IrinaHarr

FunDad62

I won't get rid of Harper because my daughter loves her to death.  And I love her too.  I just didn't realize how comfortable I had gotten with life without a dog.

@Diana_CT - Make some coffee so if the power does go out you have the nectar of the gods!  A good friend of mine and her husband are going to Bar Harbor next week for a little vacation.  Do you know much about that area?  Any suggestions for them for things to do or good restaurants?  I told her what you said about lobster prices going through the roof. 

Diana_CT
28 minutes ago, FunDad62 said:

A good friend of mine and her husband are going to Bar Harbor next week for a little vacation.  Do you know much about that area?  Any suggestions for them for things to do or good restaurants?  I told her what you said about lobster prices going through the roof. 

I have been there a number of times but the last time I was there was in the 1990s for my nephew's wedding,  so I am not that familiar with the Bar Harbor area. But it is a beautiful area as long as they visit it after next Wednesday, it is going to be a very wet and windy for the beginning of the week. 

meyery2k

93 today

@Diana_CT - One good trick I learned.  Turn off the main cold water feed to the water heater.  Your water heater can then be a reservoir of water.  Turning off the water will prevent it from being contaminated if muni water gets dodgy.  You might need to connect a hose to the drain on the bottom of the tank to get the water.

The bad part is  the storm, as you pointed out, will just be sitting on you for a while.

Diana_CT
1 hour ago, meyery2k said:

@Diana_CT - One good trick I learned.  Turn off the main cold water feed to the water heater.  Your water heater can then be a reservoir of water.  Turning off the water will prevent it from being contaminated if muni water gets dodgy.  You might need to connect a hose to the drain on the bottom of the tank to get the water.

The bad part is  the storm, as you pointed out, will just be sitting on you for a while.

Yes, most people forget the hot water heater holds 40 gallons of water.

New England Is Facing Its 1st Direct Hurricane Landfall In 30 Years

NPR

The National Hurricane Center has issued a rare hurricane watch for parts of New England, warning that Tropical Storm Henri will likely develop into a hurricane before making landfall on the northeastern U.S. coast this weekend.

"If Henri strikes southeast New England as a hurricane this weekend, it will be the first direct hurricane landfall since Bob in 1991," National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration spokesman Chris Vaccaro told NPR.

The hurricane watch was issued early Friday, covering a large portion of Long Island and areas from New Haven, Conn., to Sagamore Beach, Mass., the National Hurricane Center said. Resort islands such as Block Island, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are also in the watch zone.

In addition to strong winds and heavy rain, forecasters are warning of a storm surge that could inundate land with 3 to 5 feet of water.

[...]

"Henri's expected slower motion over the colder water south of New England should induce quick weakening," the hurricane center said in its 8 a.m. ET forecast, "but it may not be quick enough to keep Henri from reaching the coast as a hurricane."

They said that on the Cape we can expect 6 - 8 inches (~ 18 cm) of rain in addition to Tropical Force winds, and they are talking about closing the bridges to the Cape on Sunday.

Diana_CT

This morning's reading was a nice 115 but that is all that is nice about this morning.

I am heading home at first light, the path of ornery Henri has shifted west to take it right over Connecticut, the Cape will only get the fringe of the storm while the eye of the hurricane will pass right over my house. So I want to leave as soon as possible to beat the rush off the Cape.

033336_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

IrinaHarr

137 this morning, nice 63F at sunrise, windows open - feels like Autumn day with my pumpkin spice cake in the oven 🍁

Had a tiny sliver of warm cake and a dollop of honey/cream cheese frosting with my morning coffee. Pups mooched most of my slice :)

ran23

Well, 97 today.   I discovered a prebiotic high fiber drink.  After 6 days of stomach issues, I think I am back to normal. 

adiantum

6.8 on a very quiet Sunday . The dominant sound is the doves cooing even those in the next streets can be heard.

Much nicer then the usual speed boats, gyrocopters & small planes. I actually enjoy parts of  this lockdown.

Please be safe Diana. Henri was even on the news down here & that residents have been told to stock up.