Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Fasting BG of 2021

Hammer
On 8/19/2021 at 8:04 AM, adiantum said:

I also have an aversion to crates after reading a horrific case in Caifornia of cruelty ,when teenagers broke into a house.. terrorised the crated  maltese terrier by spraying her with every aerosole they could find ..fly sprays, cleaning agents ,flour ,sugar etc  . she had to be euthanased .

I must admit that I see dogs as superior to humans so treat my boy so.

I've provided him with a decent living conditions, daily visits to the park pre covid, but we all have rules.

No unecessary barking & go outside for bodily functions.

Lee, I agree.  If you treat a dog with love and compassion, it will be your loyal companion forever....not so with humans.  Treat a human with love and compassion, and they will leave you if they meet someone better.  Humans, for the most part, only want to see who can provide them with the most, but dogs don't care about that, they only want a loving home, where they are treated with respect.  All pets need to be treated with love and respect, and if a person can't do that, then they shouldn't have any pets.  Pets depend on their owners for their food and shelter, since they are in the captivity of their owners.  If their owners can't provide food and shelter for a pet, then they should give up that pet to someone who can treat them with love and respect, after all, pets are living creatures that only want to survive, just like the rest of us do, so treating them like a family member makes them feel loved, as well as them being a part of your family.  Dogs and cats have feelings, just like people do, so if a person treats a dog or cat poorly, that gives the pet insecurity, and that results in the pet being wary of humans, which is inexcusable.  Pets are trusting animals, and they trust their owners, but if their owner mistreats them, they become anxious, and suffer health issues, due to this anxiety.  They become afraid of their owners, since they don't know if their owners will mistreat them, and that is inexcusable.

FunDad62

Not sure where that came from.

I spent the last two days up at moms in my hometown visiting.  Some of you may recall the ship that capsized there almost two years ago.  It's still there.  They have been cutting it in pieces with this huge crane and have had problem after problem.  They have one cut left to haul off the final two pieces.  Everyone up there is sick of it and just want it gone.  It had over 4,000 new cars on it when it capsized.

image.png.d19ac183850bedd6fc4c62d90016d813.png

Diana_CT

My reading this morning was 147 and I will use just one word to describe why I had the high reading… Pizza. After the drive home and taking in the stuff that could blow around the deck I didn’t feel like cooking.
Traffic was insane on the way home, it was backed up 11 miles from the bridge, RVs, cars loaded with bicycles, kayaks, and other adult toys. Massachusetts closed the camp grounds and that added to the traffic, and there was talk yesterday of closing the bridges today when the hurricane was predicted to hit the Cape. There were a lot of crazies are on the road and I had to take evasive action three times to avoid an accident, it was like the hurricane gave them a license to drive crazy. 
All along the way back there were convoys of utility trucks from companies all over the northeast, I saw one group of them from Ohio.
Right now I am getting feeder bands of rain, it is drizzling, then a down pour and then back to drizzle. The forecast is for 4 to 6 inches (~12cm) of rain with 30 to 40 mph (~50 kph) wind speeds and higher gust. The eastern part of the state will get the high winds while we get the rain.

It looks like it might be just a little bit choppy out there...

Station 44097 - Block Island, RI (154)

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:56:00 UTC
Significant Wave Height: 17.7 ft
Dominant Wave Period: 11 sec
Average Wave Period: 7.7 sec
Mean Wave Direction: SSE (159°)
Water Temperature: 70.5 F

IrinaHarr

150 today, that slice of cake came back and bit me on the tush. Woke up with headache - probably hot weather front pushing back in with rains later today.

Diana - glad you are home safe after such a crazy drive.

Diana_CT

A Glancing Blow
Henri took a last minute turn to the east and was about 60 miles further east from the track last night a 9. There was very little wind and no downpours, a typical Sunday afternoon thunderstorm have strong winds than where I’m. Meanwhile Newport RI got hammered with 75 mph winds and tidal surges. 

But… you always know that there is a but. The ex-tropical storm is going to hang around overnight and that is bad news for the Berkshires, the Green Mountains, and the White Mountains. One just has to remember the damage done by Tropical Storm Irene in 2011, friends in southern Vermont were isolated for weeks while they rebuilt the roads.

Mountains + tropical storms = floods!

151538_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png 

adiantum

7 Just read up on the White Mountains & the Green Mountains... we have the Blue Mountains.

A blue haze is created from the oils of the Eucalyptus trees. A nice place to visit with spectacular views with magnificent caves.

https://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/blue-mountains

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mountains_(New_South_Wales)

Panic buying seems to be the current situation for our lockdown. An email from the supermarket about the items they could not supply  in todays delivery included butane gas I wanted for my little cooker. I checked on ebay &  its being sold with free postage.. I didnt think it would be allowed to post explosives. Theres over $50 worth of items they cant supply.

Thats not going to support this eating frenzy Ive adopted lately.

Hammer, I hope it's the minority of humans that use others for their own need. Similar is that many will end  a relationship not to live with another but to live alone. I believe we just have to be comfortable in our own skin & lifestyle.

Edited by adiantum

IrinaHarr

141 today, we are back to hot and humid weather, and there was no rain last night. Need to water the garden.

Edited by IrinaHarr

Diana_CT

I was going to write “much to do about noting” but Henri is still spinning around in the tri-state area of Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York bring heavy rain and there is a tornado warning for the region.

Back Wednesday Henri was forecast to pass out to sea a hundred miles offshore… then Thursday it was  supposed to track farther west as a Cat 1 hurricane and the eye go up the Connecticut River valley, then at over night Saturday it switched and did a last minute jog and made landfall at Point Judith RI with 74  mph winds (119kph).

Our miss is someone’s else hurricane and that turned out to be my childhood neighbor, she and her husband live in Westerly RI in a beach house there right where the eye came ashore. I have been checking her Facebook page but so far no comments but there have been multiple power outages in the area. However, there wasn’t much structural damage so I am not too worried about them.

Hammer

An 84 (4.67) on a very humid Monday...well, now it's a Tuesday morning. ( I took the reading late Monday night).  I know that a lot of people here know that I hate the summer, so I can't help but wonder....would those people who like the summer, prefer to have days when it's 0 degrees F, or would they prefer to have it be 90 degrees F, with the humidity at 90 percent...making it feel like you are in a steam bath?😊  I'll take the 0 degree days, since it's easy to get warm, but it's not so easy to stay cool.  When it's 0 degrees, all you have to do is add an extra sweater underneath your winter coat, and that will keep you warm.  When it's 90 degrees, with 90 percent humidity, there isn't anything that you can do to stay cool.  Sure, you can go into an air conditioned building, but how do you stay cool when you are walking outside....say, to get to your car, to get your mail, to mow the lawn, etc.? 

Diana_CT
2 hours ago, Hammer said:

I know that a lot of people here know that I hate the summer, so I can't help but wonder....would those people who like the summer, prefer to have days when it's 0 degrees F, or would they prefer to have it be 90 degrees F, with the humidity at 90 percent...making it feel like you are in a steam bath?😊  I'll take the 0 degree days, since it's easy to get warm, but it's not so easy to stay cool.  When it's 0 degrees, all you have to do is add an extra sweater underneath your winter coat, and that will keep you warm.  When it's 90 degrees, with 90 percent humidity, there isn't anything that you can do to stay cool.  Sure, you can go into an air conditioned building, but how do you stay cool when you are walking outside....say, to get to your car, to get your mail, to mow the lawn, etc.? 

But there are two more seasons, spring and fall. 

I prefer fall, late September, October, and early November. I like the crispness in the air and the crunch of the leaves under your feet. I like Indian Summers

Of course having no mosquitoes help.

Edited by Diana_CT

IrinaHarr

Surprising 112 today, I was really good yesterday. We are under heat advisory with 99F / feels like 108F due to high humidity. Staying inside, grooming / stripping my cairn terriers (stripping means hand pull old dry dead coat hairs for new coat to grow better). May be I will finish my ceiling painting project in the basement, it is SO UNPLEASANT outside even walking from car to the store. Right now I long for 60F in the morning, but 0F (-15C) is not my first choice.

adiantum

I'd much rather 90F with humidity then 40F. 90F is just a lovely Spring day with no need for air con

Of course its uncomfortable when it gets over 100F  but you learn to mow the lawn etc  early morning or late afternoon & rest or be indoors during the hotest part.