Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Fasting BG of 2021

adiantum

7.3 Possibly from clearing xmas treats out by eating it. 

Do you have Minties up there? It contains corn syrup so I assume so but its made in NZ

Allen's Minties 150g on special

Hammer
9 hours ago, Diana_CT said:

Did you ever wonder if you are dead? No matter how many times you try, you just can't draw a drop of blood. I felt like a pin cushion this morning trying to get a sample, I must have tried 10 or 12 times to get a drop of blood. (I think that it was because my bedroom is set to 55 at night and my hands are cold)

A 79 (4.39) today.

Diana, this is what I do when my hands are cold, since I keep my thermostats set to 60°F (15.5°C).  I get my meter, lancing device, test strips, bottle of rubbing alcohol, and cotton balls, set up to do the test.  I then go into my bedroom, grab the blow dryer, and blow it on the hand that I'm going to use.  I'll squeeze my fingers a few times, until they no longer feel cold.  I'll place the end of the blow dryer on my pocket, and warm up the pocket on the side that the hand is that I'm going to test.  Once my hand is warm, I'll place it in my warmed up pocket, and quickly walk out to my testing set up.  I will have already placed a cotton ball on top of the alcohol bottle, and turned the bottle over to wet the cotton ball, so it's ready to use.  Once I get to my test set up, I'll wipe one of my fingers with it, on the hand that I warmed up, wipe the finger off with a clean tissue, then lance my finger, and gently squeeze it, and a drop of blood will easily come out.

If that still doesn't work, lower the arm that has the hand that you lanced with the lancing device, let that arm hang limp at your side, and swing it like a pendulum several times, keeping your hand limp.  That usually works for me also.

Diana_CT

My reading this morning was 134.

We are beginning of a cold snap, it is actually going to be below freezing for the next couple of days. The winters are becoming abnormally warm.

Okay, here comes the part where I say "When I was little..."

We used to go ice skating from mid-December until the mid-February, now the pond never freeze enough to go ice skating at all. In the last few years we have had very little snow, we have been more like the Carolinas than New England. As a result we are getting invasive insects and the ticks have been increasing because of no hard freezes. 

FunDad62

No real update on the house saga.  Their realtor said the estimate is $13,000 for a new roof and they are trying to get insurance to pay for it.  Looked at another house yesterday.  Very nice.  But I still want this one because it falls in line with my goals.

@Hammer - I feel like a slacker.  I keep a stack of leftover take-out food napkins on my dresser (they always give you too many and we save the extras).  I walk up, poke my finger, squeeze and get a drop to test with.  No alcohol wipe.  I can't even remember the last time I changed the needle in my pen I use to prick my finger.  Months.

Edited by FunDad62

adiantum

I'm with you  FunDad in changing the lancet after months of use, but I like to change it every 6 months. 

Yes, I know thats just  being extravagant :D

Every 6 months is about the same time I get take-away, so no build up collection of napkins here.

FunDad62

My realtor called me last night and said the owners were unable to get insurance to pay for a new roof and they are not putting one on the house.  My only options now are to offer to raise the selling price $6,500 to cover half of a new roof (which the house will need in 5 years if I buy it as-is anyway), or just cancel the contract and move on.  We both agree even if we offered that, these people would probably still decline.

I'm bummed.

IrinaHarr

148 today. My in-laws bought another house and put their own on the market on Friday; they had 10 showings and 4 offers in one day. Wow.

Diana_CT
4 hours ago, FunDad62 said:

My realtor called me last night and said the owners were unable to get insurance to pay for a new roof and they are not putting one on the house.  My only options now are to offer to raise the selling price $6,500 to cover half of a new roof (which the house will need in 5 years if I buy it as-is anyway), or just cancel the contract and move on.  We both agree even if we offered that, these people would probably still decline.

I'm bummed.

You can always say you want the price to be lowered to cover the new roof. When we sold my parent's house it also need a new roof and we discounted the price of the house by $8,000.

Diana_CT

I just got my lab results from Friday and as expected my A1C was high, 7.6. I know what we will be talking about at my endo appointment on Tuesday. My eFGR dropped slightly from 38 to 34, but it has been jumping around in the middle 30s for a while.

Weather.
You think it is cold where you are?

Well on top of Mt. Washington it is…
Temperature: 2°F (-16.6 C)
Gust: 105 mph (169 kph)
Wind: 80 mph (128 kph)
Wind Chill: -33°F (-36 C)

adiantum

No exercise yesterday apart from doing an awful lot of jigsaws online &  constantly saturating towels to cover the dog.

It was only 36.5 C / 97F but he wasnt coping. The next two days will be hotter so I'll think about Mt Washington  & put a frozen wet towel over the dog.

IrinaHarr
16 hours ago, adiantum said:

so I'll think about Mt Washington  & put a frozen wet towel over the dog.

Lee, frozen towel under the dog to lay on the tummy, old trick from dog shows that do not have AC pavillion (like an old county fair building). Also ice cubes rolled in the towel and pressed to dog's tummy for comfort; one of those hot days my champ just frogged out on the concrete floor in the ring and refused to do anything, and I myself almost fainted. Lots of iced water for both of us and then we ran for our lives to the air-conditioned car...

159 today, snow in the forecast 5"-11" today.