Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Fasting BG of 2021

Diana_CT
24 minutes ago, adiantum said:

At a conference years ago I'd separated from the group when I met some women  I'd not seen in ages.

We went in for lunch & instead of the budget friendly slop, we had beautifully presented platters of top restaurant quality.

My mind was on the funding... how did they get such funds for a meal when we were told they were hard to claim.

After the meal I excused myself from old friends & returned to the conference room.. where they were just finishing their sad lunch of lentil soup & stale bread. Oooops.. I'd gatecrashed the wrong lunch room.

Every year I go to a fundraiser for the free health collective where I volunteer, they used to have at a rubber chicken venue but then they changed it to an excellent conference center and the food is first rate (a ticket is $125). Their clientele also improved! The governor and Hartford mayor usually pops in to shake a few hands then pop out.

Their auction you don't want to rub your ear because you might find out that you just bid $10,000 for a weekend condo on the Cape or a trip to New York City for a Broadway play, dinner, and a hotel room.

But you know what I liked the rubber chicken better and there used to be people there that I knew, now it is all stuffed shirts and I leave after auction. But I still donate one of my photos for the silent auction for a tax deduction, last year the photo went for $150, I do it mainly to watch the bidding on the photo.

adiantum
I 've only been to one auction & was glad I'd not registered so couldnt have made bids without a paddle but oh what hectic atmosphere they create.

Your  photography is outstanding , so I can understand why it went for a great price.

We only get  tax relief if we donate monies to charities & must hold the receipts. Goods are donated as a gift with no strings attached .
I'm in the midst of a "pre deceased " de-clutter, so regularly donate goods to the op-shop but cant resist  buying their items as well.
One gets very unusual items but recent donations has left me feeling peeved. Workers at the store get low wages whereby once it used to be all volunteers.
It seems some workers are getting those low wages topped up by 'taking' donated goods without  them being on the store front made to the public.

Two of the expensive  items I donated this week didnt get put out to sell, yet were not there the next day when I asked if they'd been sold. 
That worker looked stressed & seriously stuttered her  ignorance. She lost all composure.
These are the people that I'd bought small christmas  gifts for. I now have 10 French festive soaps & 10 white handtowels.. that I'll not be giving them. 

Diana_CT

135 was my reading this morning. 

Heading up to the Cape this morning. When the power went out I had dishes piled in the sink with no water to wash them because the cottage has well water. I have to clean out the refrigerator because everything thawed out over the 4 days without power. The electric company has a form online to get reimbursed for the spoiled food. 

FunDad62

Drove the hour up to GA yesterday and picked up mom and brought her back to my house for the weekend.  Nasty weather here all day yesterday and right now.  Rain, rain, rain, windy, and chilly.  48F in FL this morning.

meyery2k

98 today.  We had our first in person Rotary meeting since the Delta surge hit in earnest.   New venue and while the lunch looked a bit better than rubber chicken, it was stuff I avoid.  I make sure to eat lunch before I go so I am not overly tempted.

adiantum

I'm hoping to give the loungeroom a good clean today & put the christmas tree up so wont tell my dog his best friends, the cocker spaniels meet in the park today. Trying a new theme this year for the loungeroom.. pink & white. A 6ft pink tree  with white & silver baubles etc.  The dining room etc will be traditional red,green & gold.

Mike I recomend you keep Vicks First Defence on hand , as its the best treatment for cold sores. OK its a nasal spray & perfect for stopping a cold developing, so wear glasses when spraying your lip lol. My aim sucks so it splattered my glasses each time but that saved my eyes.

Diana_CT

On the way up yesterday when I got to town there was a traffic jam on the only road through town... Hmm, I wonder what happened? An accident? A fire?

No. It was an Oyster Slam!

What the heck is an Oyster Slam?

It turned out that micro-brewery, oyster farm, and a restaurant got together to for beer, oysters, and live music on a Saturday to party. It looked like a smashing hit judging by all the people packed in the parking lot listen to the bands.

FunDad62

Happy Monday everyone.  I took today off to drive mom back home.  Rain finally cleared out and by yesterday afternoon it was sunny but still windy.

IrinaHarr

143 today and still nice outside, I heard on the news the change is coming tomorrow with wet system moving in for 2 or 3 days. In=laws in the North are going to have snow...

When I go to various events and fundraisers I try to avoid any substandard food or especially "uninspired dessert" :) 

Not worth consuming calories or carbohydrates!

FunDad62

Was hoping I'd get to see the SpaceX Dragon capsule return last night but it landed in the Gulf and was visible along the Gulf coast.  Bummer.

Diana_CT

I do not like like the time change. My anxiety levels go up around the time of the changes and I tend to eat more comfort food. 🙁

Edited by Diana_CT