Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
2coolChess

New Person

2coolChess

Hi all,

Little brother just recently diagnosed so I went on my own here to learn some stuff from other people's perspectives about this disease. Not much of importance that I can say to myself but for little brother, he's dieting successfully and exercise but prob too much he's getting woozy, lightheaded at times. Got a blood monitor, he has a slight tremor which means he wastes the slips. Btw, are Panko breadcrumbs def a no-no? Look forward to speaking more in the future.

Dowling

Bread of any sort are a no no unless it's a low carb bread you make yourself without grains. Bread made with grains is high in Carbohydrates. You say he's dieting successfully but what kind of diet? We all follow a low carb high fat diet much like the Keto diet. Getting woozy and light headed may be from a sudden drop from a high number into a low number which can be dangerous. With control by eating the right food, exercise and maybe meds you should stay within a small range of numbers and avoid the swings in blood glucose and those symptoms.

It's hard to give advice to a third party. Can you persuade little brother to sign in and join us. We can certainly help him learn how to control his diabetes and avoid all the complications of diabetes. We are a friendly bunch that help each other. It's much easier to stay on track when you have the support of others who are on that track too.

Edited by Dowling

meyery2k

Welcome!  The members here live with diabetes so they can offer ideas that they actually live upon.  If your brother would be interested to join, he can learn a lot, make friends, and help others.

Panko - I love the stuff but, like any simple carb, it wreaks havoc with my glucose.

2coolChess

I see, thank you both for your response, in time, I will persuade him to join this forum, right now he's busy with his appointments and school, he's making some preparations to study at home since he's now vulnerable to this pandemic. 

Hammer

Like Dowling said, can you give us an idea of what his diet is like?  Remember, carbs are the enemy to a diabetic, so we try to eat the fewest carbs possible.....no bread, no rice, no pasta, no potatoes, pretty much no fruit, and stay away from grains, and no, whole grains are not good for a diabetic.  I like to try to stay under 50 carbs a day, and that works well for me, but every person is different, so your brother will have to find what works best for him.  

2coolChess

He's T1. His main food is mushy veg. He now doesn't eat his favorite food "pasta", aside from that, he no longer eats rice, cereal, bread, or meat. Limited foods mean he eats as much of everything organic. He always has broccoli daily for his iron. He's also having less insulin because of his diet. Is he on the right track?

stevenal

A great low carb substitute for pasta is zoodles, (spiral cut zucchini). Another higher carb solution is spaghetti squash. I gave up on shirataki noodles due to lack of flavor, but some favor them. Meat is low carb and provides needed vitamins.

I won't get into T1 too much for lack of experience, but I do wonder if his diet is boring and therefore unsustainable. We need to find solutions we can live with for a while.

meyery2k

Is meat because he does not eat meat or is it a fear of the protein?  Fish is a wonderful protein as well.

Dowling

The secret to using zoodles is not to cook

On 1/11/2021 at 1:58 AM, 2coolChess said:

He's T1. His main food is mushy veg. He now doesn't eat his favorite food "pasta", aside from that, he no longer eats rice, cereal, bread, or meat. Limited foods mean he eats as much of everything organic. He always has broccoli daily for his iron. He's also having less insulin because of his diet. Is he on the right track?

Mushy veggies is not a very sustainable diet. It's one that will soon be a thing of the past because no one likes mushy veggies all the time. It is also not a very good diet. Veggies are good but you also need protein for your muscles. and other vitamins and minerals you can't get from veggies. I read a study where they tested organic  and non-organic vegetables and found as much nutrition in non-organic as in organic. I don't eat much meat and when I don't figure I'm getting enough protein I drink a low carb protein shake like Atkins( there are others too). Maybe he could add that to his diet. If he does include zoodles only cook them for2 minutes. Longer than that and they become watery and mush. I use it as a sub for spaghetti. Make your meat sauce and while it's cooking spiralize a zucchini or 2. Throw them in a nonstick frying pan add the heated sauce and sprinkle cheese on top. When the cheese is  melted it's ready. There are wonderful recipes for broccoli and cheese soup. Cheese and eggs are good sources of protein and should be part of a low carb diet                                        

Edited by Dowling

CommuniqueDiabetes
13 hours ago, Dowling said:

The secret to using zoodles is not to cook

Mushy veggies is not a very sustainable diet. It's one that will soon be a thing of the past because no one likes mushy veggies all the time. It is also not a very good diet. Veggies are good but you also need protein for your muscles. and other vitamins and minerals you can't get from veggies. I read a study where they tested organic  and non-organic vegetables and found as much nutrition in non-organic as in organic. I don't eat much meat and when I don't figure I'm getting enough protein I drink a low carb protein shake like Atkins( there are others too). Maybe he could add that to his diet. If he does include zoodles only cook them for2 minutes. Longer than that and they become watery and mush. I use it as a sub for spaghetti. Make your meat sauce and while it's cooking spiralize a zucchini or 2. Throw them in a nonstick frying pan add the heated sauce and sprinkle cheese on top. When the cheese is  melted it's ready. There are wonderful recipes for broccoli and cheese soup. Cheese and eggs are good sources of protein and should be part of a low carb diet                                        

Too much of something isn't good so, diet should always be balanced.

2coolChess

Thanks for all the responses! I'd definitely check that zoodles zucchini noodles and surprise him about it, he loves pasta so I'm sure he'll be surprised about this workaround. About the meat, how much fish meat can he take on his diet on a weekly basis?

Edited by 2coolChess

Hammer
2 hours ago, 2coolChess said:

Thanks for all the responses! I'd definitely check that zoodles zucchini noodles and surprise him about it, he loves pasta so I'm sure he'll be surprised about this workaround. About the meat, how much fish meat can he take on his diet on a weekly basis?

There is no set amount, it all depends on the person.  Any type of meat will raise your glucose levels...not as much as carbs will, but it will still raise your glucose levels.  While eating meat is okay for a diabetic, eating too much meat is not.  An 8 ounce steak won't raise my glucose levels that much, but a two pound steak will, so he needs to check his glucose levels before he eats, then again, two hours after he's eaten, to see how the food he's eaten has affected his glucose levels.  Checking his glucose levels before he eats, then two hours after he's eaten, is what we call, "eating to your meter".  Your meter will tell you what foods you can eat, and in what quantities.

meyery2k

The answer will really be dependent about how active he is/becomes.  When I was first dx'ed I was sedentary and needed to lose weight.  Eventually I took up cycling so I can put food away (not like before) since I burn an estimated 2000 - 4000 calories depending on the ride.