Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Melaki

Extremely low blood sugar

Melaki

Last night for the second time my husband's blood sugar dropped so low that he was incoherent, shaking, cold, etc.  Both times I had to get sugar into him to bring him around enough to check his blood and it was 42 & 47.  Last night my dog woke me and he was babbling incoherently, couldn't sit up and was completely dependent of me to get his sugar raised.  This was terrifying and was the second time in a year this has happened.  This seems so dangerous.  I need help deciding what I need to do to prevent this from happening again.  We thought we put in place a plan where if it's borderline on whether he needs a shot he would make sure to eat very soon after taking a shot. 

stevenal

Yikes. That sounds like a medical emergency you need to call the paramedics for. Please give that dog extra biscuits.

My experience is with T2, but one of my heroes is Dr. Bernstein. He questions the whole take lots of insulin and then cover it with sufficient carbs philosophy. Instead, he advocates a low carb diet with smaller amounts of insulin. See http://www.diabetes-book.com/read-online-diabetes-solution/. Some of the chapters can be read there. 

2coolChess

11 hours ago, stevenal said:

Yikes. That sounds like a medical emergency you need to call the paramedics for. Please give that dog extra biscuits.

My experience is with T2, but one of my heroes is Dr. Bernstein. He questions the whole take lots of insulin and then cover it with sufficient carbs philosophy. Instead, he advocates a low carb diet with smaller amounts of insulin. See http://www.diabetes-book.com/read-online-diabetes-solution/. Some of the chapters can be read there. 

Hi, is this the article where you guys got this kind of specific diet that is close to keto? Thanks.

stevenal
10 hours ago, 2coolChess said:

Hi, is this the article where you guys got this kind of specific diet that is close to keto? Thanks.

I mentioned Dr. Berstein because I recall his writing on T1 (he is one) and his laws of small numbers. There are many other sources of info on LCHF (low carb high fat) and keto. A lot of us  don't care much for the word "diet", since by common usage it's temporary situation. Way of eating seems to work better for something permanent. I find I don't need a lot of references. It's pretty simple:

Don't eat sugar, grain, starch, or root vegetables.

Fruits are limited to avocados and small handfuls of berries.

Fat is the only major source of calories that doesn't affect blood glucose. Ignore the bad advice we've received our whole lives, and indulge freely.

Read the labels.

If you wish to see how a food affects you, obtain and use a blood glucose meter.

CommuniqueDiabetes
On 1/6/2021 at 7:42 AM, stevenal said:

I agree, if it gets worse please seek professional help. But I figure low carb diet might work because it basically prohibits a lot of sugar intake.

supermax30

Hii,

Low blood sugar levels can cause a variety of problems within your central nervous system. Early symptoms include weakness, lightheadedness, and dizziness. Headaches can occur from a lack of glucose, especially if you have diabetes. You may also feel signs of stress, such as nervousness, anxiety, and irritability.That sounds like a medical emergency you need to call the doctor for. Please give that dog extra biscuits.
Expressive Therapy For Depression