Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Bookworm

Newbie here

Bookworm

Hi everyone!

Dr called with the gut punch 7 days ago - 1 day before 12 hour drive to visit daughter in Georgia. Knew this might be a possibility due to having Gestational diabetes with our youngest 25 years ago. My knowledge is old, and was on insulin then - so determined to try to stay off meds. Will be learning from y’all, reading the info in the forums and re-learning the limitations/and logging. To add to the diet difficulty- I am lactose intolerant 🙄

I apologize in advance for all the questions in the future. 

Edited by Bookworm
Added

adiantum

Welcome Bookworm, no need to apologize for questions here. 

I too had GD many years before type2 Dx & had been told it mostly takes just 7 years.

Staying off meds is very do-able as I was put on diet & exercise when Dx'd & am still med free 13 years later.

I believe meds are OK if you cant manage with  just diet.

I recomend you go back to counting carbs & at first dont exceed 100g a day but keep in mind that will have to be reduced as time goes by.

You should be fine without dairy just soldier on knowing  your capabilities.

A 12 hour journey... Hmmmm take boiled eggs & nuts to snack on.

will you be eating at restaurants along the way or stopping for picnics & BBQ's?

The best diet to follow is high fat/low carb, so avoid bread., rice,pasta, root vegetbles, most fruits, sodas & candy.

Stay safe & keep posting  as you will be in our thoughts.

Dont you have covid restrictions there?

Here our borders get shut down preventing any  to pass if theres a fresh covid outbreak.

Dowling
1 hour ago, Bookworm said:

Hi everyone!

Dr called with the gut punch 7 days ago - 1 day before 12 hour drive to visit daughter in Georgia. Knew this might be a possibility due to having Gestational diabetes with our youngest 25 years ago. My knowledge is old, and was on insulin then - so determined to try to stay off meds. Will be learning from y’all, reading the info in the forums and re-learning the limitations/and logging. To add to the diet difficulty- I am lactose intolerant 🙄

I apologize in advance for all the questions in the future. 

Hi bookworm and welcome. No need to apologize for questions. We don't allow that here. In our part of the world there are no stupid questions, only people looking for answers and help. Being lactose intolerant only means you are diabetic

The best thing you can do is change your diet to a low carb high fat one. Good fat is not an enemy. When you lower your carb intake your body needs something for energy so it switches to burning fat.. Diet is the most important thing you can do to control your diabetes but don't be afraid if you have to take some oral meds to help. To start look at the keto diet. It's a good way to begin and you can always change it a bit as you go on. Also get a glucometer if your doctor hasn't ordered one for you

Reading through some posts may help you get a handle on things and for heavens sake don';t be afraid to ask questions. That's what we are all here for--to help each other.

CommuniqueDiabetes

This community is glad to help you with your journey.

Bookworm

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!  I am reading and learning about all the changed info and recommendations in the past 25 years. And oh Boy, it sure has changed!!  

No Covid traveling restrictions between Missouri and Georgia. Daughter is in Air Force, so is taking additional time off after our visit this past week to safe-guard her co-workers also.....

We got back home yesterday, so getting stocked up supplies and ingredients. 

Dowling

Excuse me Bookworm---I don't know why I mistook glucose intolerance for lactose intolerance.

Some things you can use to replace dairy. Coconut or almond milk, Some coconut cream but you have to search for ones that are low in carbs. Soy or coconut yogurt. Always read the labels to make sure they are really low carb. Green valley cream cheese is lactose free. Hard cheeses are low in lactose but they do have some. You may have to search for some things either on line or in specialty stores

You can make a pretty good smoothie with frozen berries( I use a about 3 sliced strawberries), sweetener and unsweetened almond milk( I use Almond Breeze--they do have sweetened so make sure it's unsweetened) whirled in a blender. I add a bit of cream cheese but you could leave it out if you don't find it. I whirl the strawberries, sweetener and enough almond milk to cover the berries first and add the rest of the almond milk once the berries are smooth, then mix a little and drink. Using frozen berries makes it thick and avoids using ice. This makes about 2 cups of smoothie