Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Bookworm

I am confused.....

Bookworm

Diagnosed just over a week ago. 238 fasting, 9.5 A1C. 

BEFORE I only drank coffee in the morning, didn’t eat until dinner. So I have changed that to coffee, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. I have kept my carbs under 100 everyday, my sugars under 50.....but my best number yet for ANYTIME is 137. Highest was 270. 

Dr only requiring 1 test a day (day 1-before breakfast, day 2- before lunch, day 3- before dinner, day 4-before bed.....repeat) and doesn’t want to see me again for 6 months.....

I will admit I am testing more than once a day, but I have reduced myself to before breakfast and whichever is required for the day.....

Any more info I could give for anyone to advise as to where I am going wrong?

TIA

meyery2k

It takes time to get the number lower.  In my case it was a few months before I saw fasting numbers below 100.  What does your diet look like?  

Keep in mind that simple carbs like sugars and starches are readily broken down into glucose.  Even if you limit your carbs and they are primarily starches, it is still not going to help.  The carbs you consume should be primarily complex carbs like non-root vegetables and nuts.  

A good case in point, for me, is rice.  Even if I eat a small amount, I go up to 140 and stay there for several hours.  The next few days, I will also see elevated fasting.

If you have enough strips, it is educational to practice eating to your meter.  Take a reading before you eat, eat, test again 90 minutes to 2 hours after you eat.  Your reading should be close to where it was before you ate.  The goal is to keep your BG stable and try to avoid the swings that sugars and carbs cause. 

We have all been here starting out, it seems overwhelming with a lot of don't do this and don't do that.  That isn't the reality.  Dropping carbs actually opened my diet up to much better food to eat.

You are welcome to share meals and data here.  We are here to help.

adiantum

I found that when I eat high carb foods, my readings can  be high for up to 3 days later, which might be happening to you.

Together, we might be able to find the problem in yours, as Mike siggestd it might be your choice of snacks.

No matter the cause...dont give up.

TX_Clint

I suggest that 100 grams of carbs may not work for you at this point. I would try under 50 carbs a day for at least a week to get your bg down and stable. The carbs that are simple sugars are important only in the fact that you will probably react to those with a very quick spike in bg. I don't count sugar myself, only carbs. I don't normally eat over 20 carbs in a meal. There are exceptions but not many as even one high carb meal (say 50 carbs) can mess up my bg for days. Yea I know starting out it's not at all easy. But, in time you'll get tuned in to a new eating life style and won't even have to think much about it. You'll just know, hey I can't eat that, and Oh, yea I can eat this.

keenast

In my book, 100g carbs/day really is (way) too many. If I would eat my numbers wold be through the roof.

meyery2k
4 hours ago, keenast said:

In my book, 100g carbs/day really is (way) too many.

I don't think I could eat that much veggies and nuts without dire gastric consequences lol...

Bookworm

Today’s menu:

138 fasting

2 eggs/2 sausage

1 sugar, 1 carb, 500 calories 

2 hours later - 149

snack - 1 Oz almonds

1s, 2 c, 170 calories 

Lunch - Before 129, 2 hours 160

1 cup Tuna Salad with pork rinds 

155 calories and 80 calories

Dinner - before 160, 2 hours 161

Salad - all veggies - no idea on calories, sugar or carb

atkins peppermint for dessert -

1s, 2c, 170 calories

Totals:

3 sugars, 5 carbs and 1175 calories

Bookworm

Thank you everyone!  What you say makes sense.....gonna prob follow this diet for the next few days (if y’all agree it is a “good menu”) and see where I stand.....it has enough food and variety that I can eat for a few days and not be “bored” or get tired of a food....

meyery2k

Looks like a good start.  1200 calories might be a bit on the low side for the long haul.  When I was first dx'ed, I weighed 313 pounds.  A good lifestyle change was something like this which I still stick to. I estimated that I consumed about 1800 calories a day for the first year.  I also started walking with a Fitbit, 10,000 steps a day.  Within a year, I lost 100 pounds and was running.  I then re-discovered my passion for cycling.  I don't really count calories or carbs anymore since I have habits that work for me.

Typical breakfast

Bacon, sausage, fish, chicken, beef, or pork

Mushrooms, zucchini (or cauliflower) sauteed in the oil from the meat

2 eggs cooked in butter with cheese

Sour cream on the vegetables

Everything seasoned to taste.

Almond milk with heavy cream and a little SF sweetener

Black coffee

Typical lunch

Protein

Salad (usually lettuce, tomato, cucumber) with ranch, oil/vinegar, or bleu cheese dressing

Water, black coffee, or SF soda on occasion

Dinner

Protein

Non-root vegetables or salad 

Beverage (maybe alcoholic or maybe not)

Fat is my friend.  It keeps me full and provides energy.  I liberally use butter, cream, cheese, and nuts.  I cook in olive or coconut oil.  If I make a nice roast, I set the fat aside and use it for cooking.  I always seem to have bacon grease around for cooking.  I do not shy away from fatty cuts of meat since they are more flavorful and keep me full.  My lipid panels are always excellent.  The is much research that supports eating fat does not make you fat or add to your cholesterol.  I encounter a good deal of skepticism and disbelief that this is healthy.  I bust out pictures and lab work from 5 years ago vs. now and let them judge on that.  Eating simple carbs, starches, and sugars will make me unhealthy (diabetes).  I know this first hand.  I am clearly insulin resistant.

The meals above are not the same day to day, it is just a rough idea of what I eat.  My meals vary greatly in variety now that I have learned to do without starches.

One last suggestion is that you not look at this as a diet or something that is restrictive.  Fat is liberating.  What makes a baked potato taste good?  For me, salt, pepper, tabasco, butter and sour cream (a lot of it).  Well, bake or sauté some zucchini and mushrooms and season them like that.  Other vegetables taste wonderful with butter, cheese, or homemade alfredo sauce.   Fat is flavorful, filling, and extremely energy dense.

adiantum

Theres a recipe  forum here or just google low carb lactose free.

You can still make a 1min muffin & although theyre pretty dry, adding small cubes of cream cheese gives moisture. Cheesecake.... yummy 

1223566345_lactosefree.jpg.32b5bff5461f4d7478eb128e42157b24.jpg