Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Hammer

And you think cell phones are good?

Hammer

The same two guys who I mentioned in my first post, went to a store that sells paintball guns and accessories for paintball guns, as well as accessories to use when you are at the paintball range "playing war."  They went there to buy some smoke bombs of different colors, as they use smoke bombs to locate each other if they should get separated on the paintball range.  They paid with cash, and left the store.  When they got to one of the guy's house, he checked his cell phone for any e-mail messages, and found that he had spam that advertised smoke bombs. 😲

At first, they couldn't figure out how these spammers knew that they had bought some smoke bombs, since the store sells all kinds of accessories, and they paid in cash, and they never told anyone what they bought.  Again, they realized that that it was their cell phones, and they realized that, because your cell phone is constantly listening to your conversations since your cell phone's mike is constantly turned on so that you can speak a command to it, and it obeys that command.  They only way that it can do that is if the mike is constantly turned on.  They mentioned that, the camera is always spying on you also, and that, if you ever see Mark Zuckerburg, the head of Facebook, on an interview, if he has his cell phone out, he has tape over the camera, and the mike.

It does make you wonder how anyone can listen to millions of cell phones all at the same time, but one of the guys explained that, they can have algorithms built into central cell phone towers, that will listen for certain words, like dog or smoke bomb, and once it hears certain words, it directs that information  to another server, that relays the information to a network of advertisers that sells that particular item, or, to the FBI, CIA, or some other government agency.

I just wanted people to know that your innocuous cell phone might not be so innocuous.

ran23

My neighbor came by, her two flip phones are showing 'No Service'  One is a Verizon and the other a JitterBug.   My 3G is fine. 

Hammer
On 1/16/2021 at 2:36 PM, don1942 said:

To replace my old flip phone, I bought a discontinued Samsung Galaxy smart phone in Walmart and added it to my existing  Verizon plan for $.75 per month for 36 months. My Verizon plan, which includes a veteran’s discount, costs abpout $23/month. I don’t text and use under 100 minutes per month.

Don, have you looked into getting a TracFone?  You can get a new one for as little as $29.95, or a reconditioned one for $14.99.  You can buy minutes, based on how much you use.  Here is just one of their plans.  You get 1500 minutes, and it's good for one year.  It costs $120 for that plan, or $118.75 if you get their auto-refill plan.