Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
halia

Newly-triggered Anxiety

halia

Good day, all.

I don't generally post much on here but do look around often. However, recently I've found myself suffering from strong physical symptoms of anxiety and I think health worries trigger it.

I've been diabetic since I was 18, it's probably not the best managed ever with quite regular highs and lows and I guess that I'm worrying it's taking its toll on my body. I've found myself paranoid I'm going to have a massive heart attack or something and I'm only in my 30's!

Does anyone else get anxiety like this? How do you manage it?

My doctors prescribed me drugs that help with the physical symptoms as it was starting to really affect my life at work and home.

Thanks

Diana_CT
2 hours ago, halia said:

I've been diabetic since I was 18, it's probably not the best managed ever with quite regular highs and lows and I guess that I'm worrying it's taking its toll on my body. I've found myself paranoid I'm going to have a massive heart attack or something and I'm only in my 30's!

Does anyone else get anxiety like this? How do you manage it?

One time at work I had an anxiety attack and I stood up at my desk and said that I can't feel my pulse! After not keeling over... I then got embarrassed which caused more anxiety.

Another forum member posted a similar thread here yesterday... I Think I Need Help which I posted comment.

halia

Thanks for your suggestions and links @adiantum and @Diana_CT, I'll be sure to check them out. Sorry if I may have exaggerated a bit on my first post, there's no history of heart disease, etc in our family, though I consider my weight already overweight, I'm fairly active, up and downstairs a lot at work, walking to client visits and I enjoy weekly mountain bike sessions. I don't sit for days or weeks with my blood sugar above 15mmols but I do have a habit of spiking both ways due to diet (trying to improve)

Logically, there's probably no reason why I should be sitting worrying about these things at my age. I think an over-active brain and health anxiety are the problem.

I wish I could just switch off sometimes lol.

Hammer

While this is not the solution for everyone, I have found that if I just get it in my head that I don't care, anxiety is never a problem.  I have had a number of panic attacks in the past, and each time I had one, I didn't know what it was while it was happening.  If you've ever had a panic attack, it feels like a heart attack, only a panic attack won't hurt you.  If you let the panic attack scare you, that just feeds the attack and makes it worse.  Every time I've had  one, I just talk to myself and say, "Is this it!  Is this the best you've  got?  Well, bring it on then!"  By not letting it scare you, it will go away quickly.  

If you are suffering from anxiety a lot, then that is typically just a shortage of serotonin in the brain.  They don't know why the shortage occurs, but since they know that it's a shortage, they typically prescribe a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor (SSRI).  Prozac is an SSRI, as is citalopram.  Taking one of these every day will allow your body to maintain a higher level of serotonin, and that should help ease the anxiety.  I don't know if there are any natural ways to increase your serotonin levels, so if anyone knows of any, I'd be interested to know about them.

I've heard that meditation can ease one's anxiety, so you might want to try that.  Myself, I think that I mediate all of the time without knowing it, since I can sit in front of the computer for long periods of time, and just think about things, which usually results in putting me to sleep.

Edited by Hammer