Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

tovli

Test Strip Scams on Amazon? Walmart?

tovli

I'm not officially diagnosed so am paying out-of-pocket for test strips.  I am wondering if there is some sort of "test strip scam" going on based on my last two failed deliveries of strips purchased through Amazon, and the continually changing vendors on the Walmart marketplace.

When I started monitoring my BG six months ago, I chose the Contour Next One meter based on an accuracy survey of home blood glucose test systems, and having bluetooth connectivity to my iPhone Health app.  The test strips at my local pharmacy would be hundreds of dollars, yet both Amazon and Walmart have been offering strips at around US$35 per hundred.  Although, for some unknown reason, the specific vendor and package quantity have varied each time I purchased.

Initially, I could not even find the test strips on Amazon, but twice over the last six months my Contour Next strips have appeared there with the lowest price and fastest shipping.  Both times I placed the order, received a quick "Your item has shipped" tracking number, only to have the item never appear at my door.  

The first time it took three weeks to negotiate a refund, and the company told Amazon the refund was for "item returned".  I contacted Amazon to let them know the company had issued a false shipping confirmation, and a false reason for refund.  I went back to Walmart.com and got strips before the week's end.

This last time of trying Amazon, the purchase started well with a quick shipment notice.  I watched the tracking updates looking well for two days, being picked up, entering a shipping facility, supposedly leaving that place, but next the status changed to "shipment delayed."   After two more days, Amazon sent me a "We're sorry for the delay, if it doesn't arrive in three days, you can ask for a refund."  And on that following third day, indeed they sent a "Click here to request a refund" note.  The problem, the button didn't work.  After getting Amazon to call me and explaining the situation, I managed to get my refund.  Again I turned to Walmart.com and found a vendor that offered free 2-day delivery at a reasonable price (US$39 per hundred), and received my strips in two days as promised.

It is weird that each time on Walmart.com, I have ended up purchasing the strips, (successfully), from a different Walmart Marketplace vendor.  The selection of vendors changes every time I shop there, and the product specifics - quantity in a container and price change as well.  

It just seems suspicious.

Hammer

I also use the Bayer Contour Next test strips.( I have both the Contour Next meter, and the Contour Next EZ meter, and they both use the same test strips.)  My insurance covers them, but I order them from a reputable seller.  In my case, that's EdgePark, since that's who my insurance company deals with.  If I didn't have insurance, I would stop in to my local Walmart, and get their Relion meter and test strips as they are the lowest priced test strips on the market.  Name brand test strips are expensive, so if you don't have insurance that covers them, your best bet is to go for the Relion brand test strips and meter.  I think that the Relion brand strips cost $9 for 50, but you need to make sure that those strips work with the correct meter.

Dowling

I agree with Hammer. Test strips are not an item where you want to get a knock off.

Unless you pick a product that is listed as Amazon prime or listed as coming from Amazon you are getting anyone who is contracted to sell on Amazon and that could be anyone from a reputable seller to China or some other country.  If you buy from them you could be buying a pig in a poke or a good company. They usually have the sellers name listed and you can look them up but be wary if they don't. Walmart too has outside sellers that sell on their website and they are usually listed too if you read the info on the item. Buying on line involves more than finding what you want that's cheap. You have to read all the info given.

When you do get taken complain to Amazon or Walmart or any company. Don't just talk to the customer service. Ask to talk to their supervisor and keep going up the ladder and keep complaining until you are satisfied. Just talking to the help won't get you anywhere they can only do what they are told to do. You want to talk to someone who can do something.

Dowling
21 hours ago, stevenal said:

The recent weather has been holding up all deliveries. 

Not only that but some distribution mail facilities have had Covid outbreaks so they are working short handed. I know a few of my Amazon deliveries were delayed and usually my orders come in 2 days. Some companies have also had Covid outbreaks and despite their wish to keep their companies going by selling on line deliveries have become a problem. If It's only slow deliveries cut them some slack. Big companies have more options for delivery so they seem to get their deliveries through faster than smaller companies..

tovli
49 minutes ago, Dowling said:

If It's only slow deliveries cut them some slack. 

Slow delivery is not the issue.  Phantom shipments, and a continual stream of new vendors might indicate a problem, but somehow I have been able to get the real product, unexpired, at a serious discount so I'm not complaining, just wondering about the supply chain to me.