Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Lynnette

Sugar Cravings

Lynnette

I was diagnosed a few years ago and since then I've gone to somebody who would lick the inside of a bag of chips before even thinking about something sweet to somebody who would give up my home for something sweet.   I've tried replacing with fresh fruit but it's just not helping.   Is this common?  Is there a way to combat it?  

adiantum

Hi Lynette, Sweets usually means carbs & they are addictive. Fruit is also high in carbs , so  dont depend on that.

after a while, you will get used to being without & eventually sweets become too sweet to tolerate .

Try making your own  using splenda or stevia which ever you can tolerate.

Ive found trying to make a substitute doesnt work but I can get over the  uncomfortable period  making something else.

A desert of cream cheese, jello & whipped cream makes  a great treat.

1 min or cup muffins  are good although dry.. Moisten them by adding cream cheese slices when cooking or serve with cream or sour cream.

Coconut ice is good, using coconut oil, coconut & splenda & optional flavourings.

a substitute chocolate made with coconut oil, cocoac,  nuts, splenda, peppermint essence. Its not as good  but might get you through .

Homemade icecream is good but I had to add alcohol to avoid ice crystals

Dont be afraid of fat  as its been given a bad wrap & its actually good for you.

Theres a lot of recipes  here https://www.diabetesforums.com/forums/forum/10-recipes/

or google low carb desserts.

Keep posting as we will all try to help.

adiantum

Coconut oil & peanut butter  with a little splenda sets hard & can  be cut into squares &  thats a nice treat

Edited by adiantum

Dowling
9 hours ago, Lynnette said:

I was diagnosed a few years ago and since then I've gone to somebody who would lick the inside of a bag of chips before even thinking about something sweet to somebody who would give up my home for something sweet.   I've tried replacing with fresh fruit but it's just not helping.   Is this common?  Is there a way to combat it?  

Lynnette It's all in your mind, In the 1968 my FIL was diagnosed with diabetes. That was when little was known about type 2 diabetes and they didn't even have glucometers for testing. Anyway my FIL went from having a normal diet to craving sweets, very, very sweet sweets. He had candy stashed all over the house. His only sweetener was Saccharine(that's all there was then) and if you've ever tasted it it even a little bit is super sweet. He used 6 packets in his coffee. I got his by mistake once and it was like drinking a cup of super sweet sugar.

You see once he was told he couldn't have it he craved sugar. It was all in his mind. It takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit, so give it at least 3 weeks where you don't eat any sweets. When you get a craving tell yourself that it's all in your mind and you don't really want sweets you want veggies. Do this often enough and you really will want veggies

Some things to try---Eat regular meals

Have some veggies prepared to snack on. You can use a salad dressing as a dip. I use ranch when I do this.

Exercise or go for a walk when you get a craving

Keep some sugar free gum on hand or sugar free jello for when you just need something bad.  

I hope this helps. Sometimes it just takes knowing why to give you an insight into what to do.

Edited by Dowling

meyery2k

When I was first diagnosed a little over 5 years ago, I was eating a lot of fast food and carbs.  I loved Coca-Cola.  It took some time to adapt but the keto diet really helps me.  On the rare occasion I indulge in a sweet for a birthday, I have a very small piece and rarely enjoy it.  Most of the items are simply too sweet now that my taste has changed.

Unfortunately, simple carbs (sugars and starches) are simply not good for us. 

Lynnette

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I have never been one to eat sweets and I honestly do not believe this is a psychological thing since in the 3.5 years since I was first diagnosed the cravings are somewhat new.  They are intense!  I'm trying (and enjoying keto).  We are in the middle of winter events so getting out and walking which I normally do is not really an option at the moment (much to the disappointment of my dog), but since I get to shovel at least once a day I am getting some cardio in.  Thankfully, I'm not much for sodas/pop but I get where you are coming from with the fast food addiction.  

It used to help watching the numbers go down but lately it's just been a bit too much.  It's probably just a combo of cabin fever and the doldrums that come from winter months. Again, thanks for the help. 

adiantum

Stay strong Lynnette, you ve done really well in recent years.

Spring isnt far away & hopefully most have been covid vacinated allowing you to be out safely.