Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
DavG

everyday activity

DavG

Hello! I am a newbie here. Now I try to train carefully. I go for walks, I work out in the gym, I try to be more active little by little. I know that many people find it hard to be productive in the winter, and so do I. How do you cope with it and stay active? 

Dowling

I don't go overboard on exercise but then I'm 80 years old. All exercise doesn't have to be in the gym. In summer I garden and go for walks. In winter I shovel my decks and clean off my car and go for walks when the weather permits. Occasionally I go up and down my basement stairs a few times. Especially when I'm washing clothes or tending to my plants under my grow lights. Sometimes I park at the end of the parking lot when I go for groceries or shopping. That way I get a walk in while I'm doing chores. Sometimes I just put on some music and dance or ride my stationary bike. Whatever I do I try to do something active every day and it need not be the same thing every day.

Having Diabetes does not require you to go overboard with exercise. Living a good life and remaining healthy however does require you to stay active as well as help your blood glucose

Hammer

DavG, I live in a state that also gets snow, as well as lots of rain, and I also have a bad back, which makes most types of exercise difficult for me to do.  My solution was to buy a recumbent style exercise bike, and place it in my basement family room.  I pedal it every day for 60 minutes, while I watch some TV program that I recorded the day before.  I have also just listened to music when I pedaled the bike, so there are a number of things to occupy your mind while you are pedaling.

adiantum

Welcome DavG,  being active  has been a challenge to many here because of the pandemic as gyms were the first to be closed.

After seeing the icy conditions everyone up north are experiencing its got to be another challenging factor . 

I'd not even consider driving on those roads even to visit a hardware store that has 2 miles of aisles to briskly walk along.

Good circulation is essential for us to keep the D under control, so exercise is a must.

Can you modify the exercises you do at the gym to continue doing at home? 

Lifting weights/chairs, squats  etc?

I dont do gym work but am usually pretty mean with a chainsaw or shovel in the garden.

I also use music to increase the enthusiasm  by dance or marching on the spot.

Theres some great brass bands on youtube to get into step with.

Ive just been laid up with a sprained  Achillies  but that  hasnt stopped doing upper body exercises.

My dog has stopped looking concernerned as I go through all the swiiming srokes while sitting in my chair.

Stay strong & stay motivated... we will all help you if we can.

~Lee

Dowling

DavG My son is big into exercise and has his own gym in his basement but he also rides his bike while watching TV. He has a wind trainer which is much cheaper and easier to use and easier to store than an exercise bike. It is a devise in which you put the front wheel of a regular bike and lock it in. That wheel sits on rollers and the back wheel sits on the floor. You ride your bike like you would on the road. Actually they have 2 of these and often one of his sons or his wife rides with him. The bikes are easily lifted off when you decide to use them outside.

Which brings me to another point. There's much more motivation when you exercise with someone rather than alone. I often have a friend or neighbour accompany me on my walks. My next door neighbour has a dog that she walks twice a day. I often join her or she asks me to come. I have other friends that will call or who I will call to go on a walk. That walk seems shorter when you are with someone else. We had to put some distance between us this last year but that lead to a few laughs at the dogs antics or something along the way that we may not have seen walking together.