Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
adiantum

COVID-19 vaccine

adiantum

"One of the aims of vaccination is to achieve “herd immunity”, which is when enough people are immunised to stop or slow the spread of the disease.

The threshold for herd immunity varies with each disease. For measles, for example, about 95 per cent of the population needs to be immunised, whereas for polio, the figure is closer to 80 per cent.

The threshold for COVID-19 is still unknown but expert estimates range between 60 and 90 per cent.

Nine vaccines are being used around the world. Pfizer-BioNTech’s vaccine is currently being used in 70 countries, making it the most widely adopted. It is followed by Oxford-AstraZeneca, which is used in 55 countries, then Moderna, currently administered in 28 countries.

Only the Johnson & Johnson vaccine requires a single shot; all others require two doses several weeks or months apart.

Where each vaccine is being used
Pfizer/BioNTech
70 countries

Oxford/AstraZeneca
55 countries

Moderna
28 countries

Sputnik V
17 countries

Sinopharm/Beijing
14 countries

Sinovac
6 countries

Sinopharm/Wuhan
2 countries

Covaxin
1 country

adiantum

Covid has a lot to be blamed for.

I think some people have lost their dress sense as they return to work after working from home for so long.

casual.jpg.c1dbc8ef2f51f4deb4091f74072f70f2.jpg

halia

I really hope J&J research includes all those new variants of Covid-19, not to mention, it's really possible now for the virus to mutate more in the coming months/years.

Dowling
16 minutes ago, halia said:

I really hope J&J research includes all those new variants of Covid-19, not to mention, it's really possible now for the virus to mutate more in the coming months/years.

The news I've heard is that it does but research goes on and we may need a booster later, like next year. None of the vaccines are guaranteed--but they may-- to protect you from getting Covid but they all protect you from severe disease that requires hospitalization and death. Isn't that what most of us are worried about?

Hammer

Norway has stopped the Astra-Zeneca vaccine, as a few people injected with it, developed blood clots.  They don't know if the blood clots were the result of the vaccine, but they stopped the vaccines as a precautionary measure.  Yet another reason why I won't take the vaccine. (it's not safe, at least in my opinion.)

Edited by Hammer

adiantum

Norway is down to number 93 on the list of infected people, so it can afford to take a little time out to investigate  the association of clotting to the vacine.

Dowling

Out of the 17 million doses of Astrazenica given around the world 37 people have developed blood clots. It is in no way sure that the vaccine caused it. 37 is less than the average of people who develop blood clots without any covid vaccine. There is no news about the age and gender of those who got blood clots. Women who take oral birth control pills and pregnant women have an increased incidence of blood clots, and there are other causes. Until other causes are ruled out the cause can't be laid on the vaccine. Many European countries have now lifted their ban but the damage done to peoples confidence in the vaccine can't be so easily restored.

LCD

Covid Figuresv- from a math stand point

There are about 7.6 billion people World wide which = 7,600 million people.

1 % would = 7.6 million people world wide.

There are 2 1/2 million who have died from Covid world wide.

The sucessful rate of those who have survived is about 99.7%, with a deceased rate of about 3%.

In the US, there are about 360 million people and  about 500,00 people have died from covid, which boils down to = in 10,000 people, there is

a success survival rate of 9,997, with a death rate of 3 people.

I am not debating, it is your choice to choose.  God gave us free agency to choose for ourselves, not the government, family or others. 

Edited by LCD

TX_Clint
39 minutes ago, LCD said:

Covid Figuresv- from a math stand point

There are about 7.6 billion people World wide which = 7,600 million people.

1 % would = 7.6 million people world wide.

There are 2 1/2 million who have died from Covid world wide.

The sucessful rate of those who have survived is about 99.7%, with a deceased rate of about 3%.

In the US, there are about 360 million people and  about 500,00 people have died from covid, which boils down to = in 10,000 people, there is

a success survival rate of 9,997, with a death rate of 3 people.

I am not debating, it is your choice to choose.  God gave us free agency to choose for ourselves, not the government, family or others. 

You need to work on that math. 1% of 7.6 billion is 76 million. 7.6 million is 0.1% of 7.6 billion.

If the survival rate is 99.7% then the death rate is about 0.3%

I think you meant 500,000 people have died from covid in the US. 500,000/360,000,000=0.001388 or about 14 people in every 10,000. 

This is a death rate of 0.14% and a survival rate of 99.86% 

I do agree with your last statement. 

meyery2k

"Figures don't lie, but all liars figure..."

Not everyone has had COVID so when looking at a death rate, we also need to take into consideration of the number of cases that have resolved.  Simply put, when someone has been diagnosed with COVID they can either be considered a survivor or they died.  Looking at it from that perspective, the death rate is calculated at roughly 3% using worldometer.info for reference.

Now it can be safely said that of the entire population, COVID has not killed 3% of the population.  It is a much lower percentage.

Dowling

While you are reporting statistics I have some to quote.

80% of people who have had Covid 19, even those with a mild case, and recovered reported symptoms that lasted for months. They include headaches. sleep disorders. difficulty concentrating, memory issues, problems with daily functioning and ongoing impairment of the senses of taste and smell.    

About 5% of that 80% are called long haulers who report symptoms as long as 9 months.

In my opinion anyone who doesn't get the vaccine is playing Russian Roulette with their health but if that's your choice you should at least know the facts. Even though I don't think it's the right choice it's your right to refuse to get the vaccine.

meyery2k

My neighbor was asymptomatic and, apparently, developed vertigo.  I am not certain it was from COVID or not.  It is certainly possible and she believes it so that is good enough for me.  I used the term survivor to emphasize that surviving does not necessarily mean complication free.

Dowling

I 've had vertigo and it is the scariest thing I've ever had. When I had severe Osteoporosis I had a crushed disc in my neck. Often the bone rested on the nerve leading to my ear and therefore the center of balance until therapy could remove it I had bouts of vertigo. Many people use that term to refer to dizziness but it's not the right term. True vertigo is when your eyes tell you one thing and your brain tells you something else. When that bone was on the nerve the signals from my eyes were not getting through to my brain so while my eyes saw right my brain was telling me the opposite. Often that bone would go out of place while I was sleeping. I'd wake up with a jolt with the weirdest feeling. My stomach would be revolting and I'd end up on my hands and knees on the bed afraid to move while my head spun around. That lasted until by moving my head around I finally lifted the bone off of the nerve. Thankfully that is in the past. My bones are stronger now and so are my neck muscles. However I cringe when someone describes dizziness as vertigo.

Mike I'm not trying to make light of your neighbour's symptoms. I'm sure they are real and disturbing. I just wanted to explain the difference between dizziness and vertigo. If that neighbour has indeed got vertigo I can truly feel for him/her

Edited by Dowling

meyery2k

@Dowling - Gail was diagnosed with vertigo after a fall and she described it much like you did.  It must be horrible.  I would hate to be either consistently dizzy or experience vertigo.  Either way is unpleasant I am sure.

Dowling
1 hour ago, meyery2k said:

@Dowling - Gail was diagnosed with vertigo after a fall and she described it much like you did.  It must be horrible.  I would hate to be either consistently dizzy or experience vertigo.  Either way is unpleasant I am sure.

More than unpleasant it's frightening. It sounds like she had much the same thing I had. Mine resulted from being knocked down by 2 dogs and hitting my head on the pavement. Has she had x-rays and did they show a damaged disc? I found that Putting one hand under my chin and the other at the back of my head stretching my neck upward, like trying to lift my head off often helped to move that disc off of the nerve.

meyery2k

@Dowling - Thank you for asking.  She has had x-rays and discs are OK.  She fainted from an unknown cause and hit her head on the concrete sidewalk.  She has gone through a bunch of physical therapy and some medication.  She can even drive with confidence again.  She has learned to take it easy so as not to trigger an episode.

My daughter is moving to the mainland in June and we invited Gail along.  We will be driving from San Diego to Idaho, and possibly Wyoming.  3 humans and 2 dogs in a car on a road trip, what could go wrong?

I hope this pans out, she could use a break from the rock...

halia

I read lots of side effects anywhere. I think it's a better choice to isolate myself for another year while waiting for a more successful vaccine. :/I read lots of side effects anywhere. I think it's a better choice to isolate myself for another year while waiting for a more successful vaccine. :/

Dowling
5 hours ago, halia said:

I read lots of side effects anywhere. I think it's a better choice to isolate myself for another year while waiting for a more successful vaccine. :/I read lots of side effects anywhere. I think it's a better choice to isolate myself for another year while waiting for a more successful vaccine. :/

You can isolate yourself but there will no more successful vaccines than there is now. Research will be ongoing into the existing vaccines but no drug company is going to try to get another vaccine when the ones they have now are safe and do the job. Even if there were  another vaccine no company would give you a 100% guarantee.

Side effects are minimal. Millions of vaccines have been given world wide and only a handful of people have had bad side effects.

Worldwide 381 million shots have been given of the existing vaccines and less than 100 have had severe reactions. A few with allergic reactions which could happen with any vaccine a few more had bells palsy and some more had blood clots. Bells palsy and blood clots happen to people in a normal year and may be caused by something other than the vaccine but they won't know what caused them without further study. Most people have mild side effects but that just shows the vaccine is working

If my chances of getting a  bad reaction are 1 in 381 million or even less(I'm no math wizard) I will certainly be there to get mine. In fact I already have an appointment and will show up with bells on

Dowling

I just watched an interesting interview on CNN. There was a woman who thought she had Covid early in the pandemic when they weren't testing. She had all the symptoms except fever and Sinus pain, brain fog and fatigue lingered. She got the first dose of pfizer vaccine and the next day she woke up and was surprised that her sinuses were open, her thinking was clear and the fatigue was gone. Proof that the vaccines are good in my opinion even for those who already had Covid

Hammer

This is what I've been talking about.  I've watched a video of this doctor discussing just how the vaccine works, and how it can kill you, but this talk tells you exactly what the vaccine is doing, so if you want to take it, do so at your own risk.  Yes, trust the government because they won't lie to you, right?

https://www.bitchute.com/video/7ujhqN4ts6Rz/

Then there is this one that no one wants to talk about:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/zbEyDItIwutU/

Edited by Hammer

Dowling

Gosh hammer Where do you dig these sites up from. Use your common sense. With the over 100 million and counting shots given in the states plus those given in Canada no one has died or gotten deathly sick from the vaccine. If they had the mainstream press would have been all over that story. In the USA and Canada it would have been headline news yet there is nothing reported because there is nothing to report

Why then did this site pick Europe--because it is harder on this side of the ocean to verify their story. A story which must have come to them in a dream because it certainly not rooted in reality

Hammer

Dowling, so you feel that your government is telling you the truth about these vaccines?  The link that I posted is of a doctor telling you that thousands of people have died from the vaccine, but you'd rather believe your government?  Okay, well, good luck with that.

I just want to let people know the risks involved, that's all.  I have another video of this doctor explaining how the vaccine works, and how, while it may not affect you right now, 3-6 months later, it can kill you.  I have been trying to find a way to post this, but there isn't a link to it, it was a video that a friend of mine sent me.  In the video, she explains how the vaccine affects you, and that the mainstream news media doesn't report this because the government wants everyone to get vaccinated, regardless if the vaccine will kill you.  The vaccine isn't safe, period!

Edited by Hammer