Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

BobbyUnagi

Glycemic Levels Scale

BobbyUnagi

First of all thanks for the great advise I've received from this forum, you guys are awesome!
So, I wanted to give back some value to the community as well...
I was doing a lot of research lately on glycemic levels of common foods and found some very interesting facts and tips
on what to look for when picking foods. So, I posted on my blog. It explains many of the benefits of some of the veggies I love and how to they work to control diabetes.

You can read it here: 5 Veggies to Control Diabetes
Let me know what do you think, looking for your comments.

Dowling

First never look at glycemic levels. They give a false number for diabetics. Take peas which they say are good for diabetics. With glycemic load they say your carb intake is 4 for 1/2 cup while in reality there are 11 carbs and 4 fiber in 1/2 cup of peas for a net carb of 6. Always look up the nutrition of any food. Some here use all the carbs and no fiber. I subtract the fiber from the carbs to get net carbs. Which ever way  you do things depends on what your meter says works for you. Until you know it is wise to use your meter before you eat and 2 hours later when the 2 numbers should be close to get an accurate picture of how certain foods effect you.

Most times the other 4 vegetables mentioned are good for diabetics. They are ones I eat and I seldom eat peas unless they are in very small amounts in a recipe but most times I substitute another vegetable

Edited by Dowling

Eurotoff
On 3/4/2021 at 5:42 PM, Dowling said:

First never look at glycemic levels. They give a false number for diabetics. Take peas which they say are good for diabetics. With glycemic load they say your carb intake is 4 for 1/2 cup while in reality there are 11 carbs and 4 fiber in 1/2 cup of peas for a net carb of 6. Always look up the nutrition of any food. Some here use all the carbs and no fiber. I subtract the fiber from the carbs to get net carbs. Which ever way  you do things depends on what your meter says works for you. Until you know it is wise to use your meter before you eat and 2 hours later when the 2 numbers should be close to get an accurate picture of how certain foods effect you.

Most times the other 4 vegetables mentioned are good for diabetics. They are ones I eat and I seldom eat peas unless they are in very small amounts in a recipe but most times I substitute another vegetable

This is an interesting take. I wonder how it is going for you.

Dowling

Why is it an interesting take? Glycemic levels do not give an accurate carb count. That is a fact.

As for how it's going for me---my A1C has been under 6 for about 6 years. That's because I never took the easy way of relying on  a table to find my glucose levels. Instead I used my meter to tell me which food drives up my glucose and which food was good for me to eat and eliminating the culprits. I learned how to cook the food I wanted in a low carb way. It took learning how to read labels, looking up the nutrition values of food and a lot of trial and error. Most of all it took determination that this disease would not defeat me or take my feet or hands or kidneys or damage any part of my body.