Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

anon125

ketone

anon125

read somewhere that with insulin caused weight gain one should measure my ketones.

something to do with is my body using insulin instead of fat to fuel itself.

opinions please

thanks

Dowling

It's not that nobody uses this forum but that nobody I know measures ketones. You must understand that only some here use insulin. The majority of us that oral meds or none at all because we are type 2. So maybe no one can help you and that's why you haven't received an answer

anon125

Thanks Dowling.

i am type 2 on a low carb diet.

still gaining weight.

medico are not much help. the dietician says to eat a lot more carbs!

Dowling

Don't listen to dieticians. They know little about diabetes. In fact most of the medical community especially diabetic associations are living in the dark ages when it comes to diabetes. Many here have lived very well for 10 years or more on 30 carbs a day with increased good fats ( a LCHF diet). Some of us eat more carbs but all of us have used our meter to find out what carbs do to our blood glucose.

The way your body works is that when you decrease carbs you need something for energy. That's where the fats come in. When your body doesn't have carbs to burn for energy it switches to burning fat and that should mean you are losing weight not gaining. When you are reading labels pay attention to calories as well as carbs. Can you let me know just what your diet is like?

Until then I'm going to suggest some reading for you. Look up Dr. Richard Bernstein's book "The Diabetes Solution" Dr. Bernstein is a medical doctor who was diagnosed in childhood with type 1 diabetes and put on insulin. Last I heard he was in his 80's and has had no complications from diabetes. He was the one who came up with the LCHF diet. It is well worth the read and helps understand diabetes better. You may be able to find it in your local library or on Amazon

anon125

thanks

we have his book

but also some believe that our bodies take the insulin instead of the fat which is why i am gaining weight.

on a low carb diet and wearing out the treadmill

Dowling

I know nothing about insulin. Maybe someone who knows will chime in.  Although many here are not on insulin some are.

I do know-- That if your body has lots of carbs and insulin circulating it won't burn fat. You only burn fat when blood glucose and insulin  is in short supply. Look at it this way--if you have $100 in your pocket to pay for $25 worth of groceries you wouldn't go to an ATM for $25. You'd use the more convenient money in your pocket. Your body too uses what is more convenient.

Some people think that they don't have to watch their diet when taking insulin and that's wrong. I do think if you examine your diet you could lose weight. Post a days diet and maybe I can help you tweak it.

I'm not on insulin. When I was first diagnosed I went to 30 carbs a day. I've since upped that because my meter said I could but in 2 months I lost 40 pounds Which I haven't gained back in--I can't remember how long but I think it's about 6 years

anon125

wrappps

white flour

rice

alcohol

potatoes

pasta

pastry.

i never eat these.

i use the treadmill twice a day

we are not big eaters.

but i am gaining weight.

so i read somewhere that measuring ketones can help.

but nobody seems to know anything about them.

thanks

Dowling

In order to measure ketones (and I don't know how) you first have to be burning fat for energy and I don't think you are doing that. That is all I know about them other than to get to that stage you have to really cut back on carbs. The only ones here that talk about ketone burning are the ones that eat only 30 carbs a day.

Besides the foods you listed most here eat no flour or anything made from flour or fruit except for a few berries. We do eat almonds pecans and walnuts in moderation We avoid root vegetables for the most part and eat vegetables that grow above ground. There are a few exceptions to that but as a rule it works. We always avoid prepared or prepackaged food because they often include hidden carbs.

Anyway I do wish you well on tis journey. I do hope you find a way to lose weight and I hope I helped a little

meyery2k

Sometimes there are carbs hidden in foods you would least suspect.  For example, most low-fat items use carbs to add flavor or texture.  Read those labels and, if you post a few meals, you will get some sound advice.

5 years now.  I eat about 30-50g carbs per day.  These are complex carbs from nuts and non-root vegetables.  I have more than enough energy to do what I need.  On this plan, I kicked all diabetes meds, reduced my BP meds, and lost 100 pounds.

If you are still interested in measuring ketones, I have seen meters and strips for this at CVS.  In my annual labs, ketones are measured in my urine.

Not knowing more, I am not sure if this would be helpful, but I got my weight down from 315 to 200 pounds.  At 200 pounds, I was mentally miserable and grouchy.  I had gotten into cycling.  I was able to get in with a group of semi-pros.  One of them advised that I should eat a little more and let the weight creep up.  He believed my body was below its set point.  I might like the idea of being at 200 but my body doesn't.  My weight stabilized around 230.  My PCP looks at the big picture and agrees with 230 being a good weight even though it would be considered a high BMI.  I have a lot of muscle tissue in my legs.  I have maintained this weight for about 3 years.  I feel mentally and physically balanced at this weight.  I am proud that I hit that 200 goal but it was not the best weight for me.  If you are working out, you may simply be building muscle.  Muscle is dense and will add to your weight.

anon125

we make everything fresh. no hidden fats

have a meter that measures ketone in blood (abbott)

thanks all

stevenal

Measuring won't do much by itself. I tried measuring ketones, but gave up after finding nothing that moved the reading. I eat LCHF, which some call ketogenic but don't really get into ketosis. MCT oil made no difference, and I gave that up as well. I think my liver works too good.

Do you really need the insulin if you are keeping the carbs down?

Hammer

Insulin does not cause weight gain.  The reason that you hear this is because, a lot of people use insulin to cover their carbs, but too many times, people think that they can eat whatever they want, then cover all of those carbs with insulin.  Technically, that is true, but the thing is, people associated the insulin with their weight gain, when in fact, it's the large amount of carbs (and calories) that they are eating that caused the weight gain, not the insulin.  I'm a type 2 that uses insulin, and since I've been using insulin, I've lost 65 pounds.

The best analogy that I can think of is this....if a person was NOT a diabetic, and ate that many carbs, since their body would naturally produce it's own insulin, would they gain weight?  Yes, because they were eating too many carbs, which also contain lots of calories.  By injecting insulin, you are only doing what your pancreas would do if you weren't diabetic.

Your body doesn't use insulin for energy, insulin allows your body to absorb the glucose that's in your bloodstream, and your body uses the glucose for energy.  When your body burns fat for energy, the byproduct of that fat being burned is ketones.  When you see that there are ketones in your urine (either with your meter or ketone test strips), that lets you know that fat is being burned.  

If you are gaining weight, and you don't know why, maybe check with your doctor to see if there is another issue with your health.  You are eating a low carb diet, but you are gaining weight, so there must be something else that is causing you to gain weight.

anon125

thanks for your reply.

we are all at different stages of research.

insulin causes weight gain because after a while the body uses insulin instead of fat to feed itself.

after 25 years i have yet to find a doctor who knows more than i do re diabetes.

ketone is 0.0 to 0.1

Hammer

Anon, sorry to disagree with you, but your body does not use insulin instead of fat to feed itself.  When you eat, the food you ate is converted into glucose, and it's then released into your bloodstream.  Once it's released into your bloodstream, it needs to get into your blood cells.  In order to enter your blood cells, you need insulin.  What insulin does is that it attaches to your blood cell's receptors.  Once it's attached to those receptors, it opens a pathway that allows the glucose to enter.  The glucose then travels all through your body providing nourishment to all of your organs.  Your body doesn't use insulin to feed itself, it uses insulin to allow glucose to enter your blood cells, and the glucose in your blood cells feeds your body.

1106774588_Whatinsulindoes.thumb.jpg.432ded6cb561b5db0133d010e70e241f.jpg

stevenal

Insulin is not caloric, but it is a hormone that influences weight. Type 1s have been known to (dangerously) reduce insulin to reduce weight. And many type 2s (a disease of too much insulin according to some) are obese.

anon125

thanks all.

decided altho i eat very little and low carb i am eating too much

Dowling
3 hours ago, anon125 said:

thanks all.

decided altho i eat very little and low carb i am eating too much

Maybe not too much but the wrong things,. you can eat a lot of food if you are eating the right things

Breakfast could be-- 2 eggs and 4 strips of bacon for 316 calories and 0 carbs that would last you through the morning.

Make home made chicken soup for lunch. My recipe is quick and easy 2 cups of cooked chicken--I often use store bought rotisserie chicken. Put in a large pot and pour in a carton of chicken broth. Add a package of mixed frozen vegetables or you can use fresh. I use a package that includes green beans, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Add a good sprinkle of poultry seasoning and easy on the salt and pepper. Add more broth if needed. bring to a boil then reduce to simmer until the vegetables are cooked. taste and add more poultry seasoning if needed. 2 cups will be about 200 calories and maybe 10 carbs.

Supper can be a grilled chicken breast or cooked pork chop and 2 cups of cooked mashed cauliflower-- I buy frozen riced cauliflower-- with 1/2 cup of cheese, a bit of butter and salt and pepper. 300 calories and 10 carbs.

That's 816 calories and 20 carbs for the day's meals which leaves room for a few low carb snacks and you can still be at a reasonable calorie intake to lose weight and you are very low carb

Edited by Dowling

Eurotoff

Wow, this is a great topic. Thank you for the information that is present here.