Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
pcramer1

BAD SMUCKER'S-BEWARE

pcramer1

Watch out for "SMUCKER'S SUGAR FREE ORANGE MARMALADE"!! After eating a small amount, about a tablespoon size I developed a dose of neuropathy  in my left foot.  2 days later I tried again to eat a small amount of Smuckers Sugar Free. I got the same results...neuropathy in my foot.

The label says only 5 carbs per table spoon and zero sugars. 5 carb foods have never affected me . So I broke out my "refractometer" and took a measurement of smuckers, it showed a reading of 25 BRIX!! A brix reading of 25 is equal to the sugar in Concorde Grapes that are very ripe and sweet.

SMUCKERS should change their label to show the true sugar content.

Dowling

I use Smuckers sugar free raspberry jelly and have no reaction to it. All their sugar free jams are sweetened with Sucolose  a sweetener like Splenda which is derived from sugar. I've never used a refractometer and I don't know what it does but could it also measure this sweetener. It could just be that you can't tolerate any sugar free jam no matter what the carb count is. You know that every diabetic is different and what one can tolerate others can't

I don't think any reputable company would risk being sued for false labelling. In the USA there are federal and State laws that make misrepresentation or lying about contents on their labels illegal. Many countries have similar laws.

pcramer1

I'll give the raspberry a try, I do like my jelly and peanut butter.

TX_Clint

I use Polaner brand and have no issues. The label shows 5 carbs, 3 fiber, and 0 sugar.

pcramer1

I have used Polaner brand before, will try it again..thanks