Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
buddy7

Does scientist have the right to genetically modified foods?

buddy7

As a nation for years now we’ve been consuming genetically modified foods, what are the long term effect on people with known diseases, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, arthritis, cancers, common allergies and diabetes?

Are the scientist playing God? When they change the character of plants, does a scientist have the right to change inherent/innate characteristic in plants? Is it right to permit change that can’t occur naturally? Why scientist is allowed to interfere with many millions of years of natural development? Is it right that they are allowed to affect the natural order of nature?

Our ethics defines what we can do, and what we shouldn’t, the definition between good and bad, I’m a bit undecided where to go with this one.

Are GM foods dangerous? Or are people just frighten of change, are the scientist certain of the risk involved? Are GM foods more harmful than good? Would more people become ill with uncharted diseases or become infertile altering the process of the human natural production system to produce life?

I have no problem with scientific technology i.e. genetic engineering, it is my belief it’s the way forward, take diabetes as a ginormous step for myself and others, the scientist producing metformin and insulin, a great achievement, we certainly wouldn’t be on this forum today without these medications. OK! Hypocrisy rings a bell. I change the goal-post when it suited me, or when the hypotheses deem it necessary, I’m all for change when humanity takes precedence, not for the likes of a monetary factor. That said, the genetic engineers must have made a fortune from GM modifications.

To be my cynical self, it all seems a serious game of Russian roulette, when scientist set about to change the environment by modifying natures process. Sometimes I see this development going so in the wrong direction with GM foods, the likes of … soybean, corn, canola oil, cotton, milk, sugar, aspartame, zucchini, yellow squash and papaya such as plant life and livestock, are already found on our supermarket's shelves, which has now become a norm in our daily food intake, (don’t get me wrong) I can see the necessity for increase yields to feed the increasing world populous. And we wonder why the earth’s population has an obesity ~ diabetes problem?

Revised!

Dowling

Plants never remain the same. Some cross pollinate naturally. Some are hybridized and yes some are genetically modified.

A plant will naturally alter itself if it is being killed off by certain insects or diseases. Darwin's theory--the process of natural selection and has been going on since time began. Occasionally one would be pollinated by a close relative and result in a new species. That's why we have such a diversity of plants but this process takes a long time to produce.

Some plants are hybridized. Hybridization is pollinating one plant with another of the same species to produce the desired result--bigger flowers, more disease resistance, bigger and better fruit. This is done by humans and has been done for centuries but the Victorians did it more than at any time before. This process of pollinating and growing over and over to produce the desired result takes a long time too and you may only partially get the results you want..

Now we come to genetically modified. It  simply means that they have taken the natural disease resistance of one plant and introduced it into the seed of another or they've taken the disease and extracted the DNA and encapsulated it and injected a plant with that then used the seed from that plant to grow more plants. This process is much like the Covid vaccine produced by Moderna and Pfizer.  Humans have been looking for ways to give our food crops resistance to disease or insect devastation without using chemicals that destroy beneficial insects and poison the soil and this is one way to achieve that goal. We are not producing enough food to feed the world because a large part of it is wasted because of disease or insects. Do I think it's safe. Yes I do. I'd rather eat genetically modified food than one laced with chemicals.

buddy7
22 hours ago, Dowling said:

Plants never remain the same. Some cross pollinate naturally. Some are hybridized and yes some are genetically modified.

A plant will naturally alter itself if it is being killed off by certain insects or diseases. Darwin's theory--the process of natural selection and has been going on since time began. Occasionally one would be pollinated by a close relative and result in a new species. That's why we have such a diversity of plants but this process takes a long time to produce.

Some plants are hybridized. Hybridization is pollinating one plant with another of the same species to produce the desired result--bigger flowers, more disease resistance, bigger and better fruit. This is done by humans and has been done for centuries but the Victorians did it more than at any time before. This process of pollinating and growing over and over to produce the desired result takes a long time too and you may only partially get the results you want..

Now we come to genetically modified. It  simply means that they have taken the natural disease resistance of one plant and introduced it into the seed of another or they've taken the disease and extracted the DNA and encapsulated it and injected a plant with that then used the seed from that plant to grow more plants. This process is much like the Covid vaccine produced by Moderna and Pfizer.  Humans have been looking for ways to give our food crops resistance to disease or insect devastation without using chemicals that destroy beneficial insects and poison the soil and this is one way to achieve that goal. We are not producing enough food to feed the world because a large part of it is wasted because of disease or insects. Do I think it's safe. Yes I do. I'd rather eat genetically modified food than one laced with chemicals.

Thanks, Dowling for your vast knowledge of plant life and plant growths, your expertise on the subject exceeds my capabilities, knowledge and intelligence on the subject. I commend you.

I’m always concerned, especially when shopping, as I walked down the aisles of our supermarkets, what’s the genetic makeup or contents of GM foods on the shelves which becomes our daily intake of foods, do I find it scary, yes, at times I do. But of course, we have to consider the ever-increasing world population has to be fed, so day-after-day we consume GM foods unknowingly if for some medical reason the GM foods we intake has some uncharted diseases on our health, do we really know.

Thanks, for your return postage to the thread, appreciated it.

stevenal

Selective breeding has had benefits, but it has also helped to create the extremely high carb foods that I believe helped ensure I became diabetic. The paleo crowd has it right on this point. Humans haven't evolved as fast as their food, we are better adapted to eat the stuff we hunted and gathered prior to the advent of agriculture and selective breeding.

The biggest problem with GMOs is:

We can make a crop resistant to Roundup for example. Knowing he won't kill his crop, a farmer will take less care in Roundup application. Knowing this, would you prefer to buy the Roundup ready GMO version, or the non-GMO?  

buddy7
6 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

Got your drift Clint, and your subtle manner of propagating my brief description of what science is doing to our world. Very funny indeed.

But of course, I shudder with the facts, what genetic engineering are doing with our livestock’s and plants.

buddy7
34 minutes ago, stevenal said:

I believe helped ensure I became diabetic. The paleo crowd has it right on this point. Humans haven't evolved as fast as their food, we are better adapted to eat the stuff we hunted and gathered prior to the advent of agriculture and selective breeding.

Have to admit, an excellent point you've made, take GM corn how much of it do we need to feed the world populous. Would you intake corn as part of your dietary intake? Going back to what I said in my thread. "increase yields to feed the increasing world populous. And we wonder why the earth’s population has an obesity ~ diabetes problem"?

And where the selective breeding came from, where else but GM modification. Darn those genetic engineering.

Edited by buddy7

Dowling
57 minutes ago, stevenal said:

Selective breeding has had benefits, but it has also helped to create the extremely high carb foods that I believe helped ensure I became diabetic. The paleo crowd has it right on this point. Humans haven't evolved as fast as their food, we are better adapted to eat the stuff we hunted and gathered prior to the advent of agriculture and selective breeding.

The biggest problem with GMOs is:

We can make a crop resistant to Roundup for example. Knowing he won't kill his crop, a farmer will take less care in Roundup application. Knowing this, would you prefer to buy the Roundup ready GMO version, or the non-GMO?  

Selective breeding through hybridization does nothing of the sort>NUTRITIONAL VALUE OF PLANTS IS OFTEN ENHANCED WITH SELECTIVE BREEDING. What has added carbs to our food is manufacturers adding sugar and other high carb items to prepared food. Vegetables and fruit would never increase your carb count enough to make you diabetic.

Why would anyone want to make a food resistant to  a chemical NO ONE WOULD. What GMO does is make our food crops resistant to disease and insects that attack the plant and kill it or make the food not edible. (I explained how they do it in my reply to Buddy. Thousands of acres of food crops are destroyed every year. It takes the use of chemicals for insect and disease out if the picture

Edited by Dowling

halia

As natural organic sources of food are being less and less available for so many countries due to technology and infrastructural advancements leaving forests, ecosystems, and good soil buried or destroyed,  genetically modifying foods seems to be the last resort in the future. Unless we take a stop now, plant more trees, destroy factories, chemical plants, etc, then we will have more plants to grow, more natural food in the future.

Hammer

I agree that I would not want to eat any food that is grown with GMO technology.  Yes, using this technology does create plants/crops that are not subject to various pests, but, these plants would eventually create their own natural immunity from these pests.  The difference is that, when these plants/crops create their own immunity from pests, it takes a long time.  In that time, we are eating these plants that are ever so slowly creating this immunity.  In that time, our bodies are adapting to this slow change.  To genetically alter plants/crops this fast, doesn't give our bodies time to adapt to this new GMO food, so we don't know how it will affect our bodies.  Just look at the beef we eat.  Farmers are feeding their cows corn, which fattens them up, but the resulting beef from them is not as nutritious as when the cows were just eating their normal food...grass.  Yes, they get bigger and fatter cows, resulting in more food, but how good is that food?  Heck, they are now using 3-D printers to print "beef", which is printed from vegetable sources...like I'd want to eat that!

No thanks, if I want to eat food, I want it to be non GMO food, even if that food costs more money.  I don't trust any food that science has engineered to be "better".  Just because science can do it, doesn't mean that we should do it. 

Diana_CT

How do you stop it?

If you ban research of GMOs in one country the researcher will just move to another country.

Take a look at what they did in China...

EXCLUSIVE: Chinese scientists are creating CRISPR babies
A daring effort is under way to create the first children whose DNA has been tailored using gene editing.

When Chinese researchers first edited the genes of a human embryo in a lab dish in 2015, it sparked global outcry and pleas from scientists not to make a baby using the technology, at least for the present.

[...]

According to Chinese medical documents posted online this month (here and here), a team at the Southern University of Science and Technology, in Shenzhen, has been recruiting couples in an effort to create the first gene-edited babies. They planned to eliminate a gene called CCR5 in hopes of rendering the offspring resistant to HIV, smallpox, and cholera.

GMO children!

buddy7
5 hours ago, halia said:

As natural organic sources of food are being less and less available for so many countries due to technology and infrastructural advancements leaving forests, ecosystems, and good soil buried or destroyed,  genetically modifying foods seems to be the last resort in the future. Unless we take a stop now, plant more trees, destroy factories, chemical plants, etc, then we will have more plants to grow, more natural food in the future.

Makes good sense what you said halia the way forward really, is to get rid of all the GM genetic engineering foods and plant life, and get back to the basics of natural organics this has been a process of nature for millions of years why change now. Let’s get rid of all the chemical rubbish which beckons uncharted diseases and alters the process of the human natural production system to produce life.

meyery2k

I don't entirely disagree with the premise that consuming chemicals and preservatives are not good for us.

Nature and organic food is not entirely benign.

Consider the caffeine in that cup of coffee which is an insecticide.

Caffeine in plants acts as a natural pesticide: it can paralyze and kill predator insects feeding on the plant.[189] High caffeine levels are found in coffee seedlings when they are developing foliage and lack mechanical protection.[190] In addition, high caffeine levels are found in the surrounding soil of coffee seedlings, which inhibits seed germination of nearby coffee seedlings, thus giving seedlings with the highest caffeine levels fewer competitors for existing resources for survival.[191] Caffeine is stored in tea leaves in two places. Firstly, in the cell vacuoles where it is complexed with polyphenols. This caffeine probably is released into the mouth parts of insects, to discourage herbivory. Secondly, around the vascular bundles, where it probably inhibits pathogenic fungi from entering and colonizing the vascular bundles.[192] Caffeine in nectar may improve the reproductive success of the pollen producing plants by enhancing the reward memory of pollinators such as honey bees.[193]

buddy7
15 hours ago, Diana_CT said:

How do you stop it?

If you ban research of GMOs in one country the researcher will just move to another country.

Things have gone too far already.

Course, indeed they will.

There’s a difference with the prognosis of editing the genes of a human embryo in a lab dish which starts the beginning of human life, no comparison at all to genetically modified plant life or livestock i.e. cows. It’s my opinion this is where ethics come in to play.

After more than 25 years of research and development on the genetic modification of a wide range of crops for food and fodder, China has reached a decision point as to whether it should accept, reject, or go slow with the use of genetically modified (GM) technology to produce the food and feed needed to sustain its population growth and economic renaissance. Here, we report a consumer survey on GM food that includes input from all provinces in China. Chinese consumers were surveyed for their awareness, knowledge, and opinion on GM food.

Edited by buddy7

buddy7
On 3/25/2021 at 12:47 PM, Hammer said:

I agree that I would not want to eat any food that is grown with GMO technology. 

No thanks, if I want to eat food, I want it to be non-GMO food, even if that food costs more money.  I don't trust any food that science has engineered to be "better".  Just because science can do it, doesn't mean that we should do it. 

I also won’t knowingly eat GM or GMO foods especially if they were not clearly labelled on the supermarket shelves, I supposed it's better than laced pesticide crops with chemicals vying for the supermarket shelves. I say, stop the crop spraying chemicals.

In the UK, foods must say on their label if they are GM or GMO, does the same applies in the US?

We support giving consumer’s choice. We recognise that some people will not want to buy or eat GM foods however carefully they have been assessed to ensure their safety.

Rather they contain or consist of genetically modified organisms (GMOs)

Or contain ingredients produced from GMOs

Genetically modified foods can be defined as organisms (i.e. plants or animals) in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not occur naturally by mating and/or natural recombination.

GM stands for 'genetic modification' or 'genetically modified. It’s the process of altering the genes of a living thing. Genes carry the instructions for all the characteristics that a living thing inherits. Genetic modification allows us to produce plants, animals and micro-organisms with specific qualities.

People have been breeding animals and new varieties of plants for hundreds of years to develop or avoid certain qualities. Traditional methods of breeding involve mixing thousands of genes.

Genetic modification allows just one individual gene, or a small number of genes, to be inserted into a plant or animal. This enables them to be used in new and very precise ways. Such plants or animals are known as genetically modified organisms (GMOs).

GM foods are foods that contain or consist of GMOs or are produced from GMOs.

For the benefit of those who might be following the thread.

buddy7

If today’s pandemic vaccines are genetically modified or genetically engineered, then why am I harping on about eating GM foods? Where millions worldwide will be taking the vaccines at some point/time. My shortcomings are being questioned by the big brother sceptics, I’ve already had one shot of AstraZeneca and one more shot to be had, which I’d be taken in due course. I certainly won’t be taking the above on board, with all the given knowledge I have accrued of late about GM foods. The hypothesis of taking the vaccine bears much more fruit than consuming GM foods, you can live taking GM foods, don’t take the vaccine there’s a good chance you’ll die. Considering the pros and cons.

That said:

Technologies for genetically modifying foods offer dramatic promise for meeting some areas of greatest challenge for the 21st century. Like all new technologies, they also pose some risks, both known and unknown. Controversies and public concern surrounding GM foods and crops commonly focus on human and environmental safety, labelling and consumer choice, intellectual property rights, ethics, food security, poverty reduction and environmental conservation.

halia
On 3/26/2021 at 12:27 AM, Diana_CT said:

How do you stop it?

GMO children!

Let them all rot in China. 😅

ran23

I remember as a child I asked why cauliflower was green?   It was crossed with Broccoli. 

buddy7
19 hours ago, halia said:

Let them all rot in China. 😅

GMO children! This stands for:  A Future of Genetically Engineered Children Is Closer Than You’d Think!! Really.

What made you say halia, let them all rot in China?

Do you share my view halia the scientist are playing God?

Our ethics defines what we can do, and what we shouldn’t, the definition between good and bad,

The birth of the first genetically tailored humans would be a miraculous stunning medical achievement, for both He Jiankui and China. But it will prove controversial, too. Where some see a new form of medicine that eliminates genetic disease, others see a slippery slope to enhancements, designer babies, and a new form of eugenics. Here are my thoughts about it, Why scientist should reverse the process of nature and edit, alter and tailored genes of a growing embryo using their sophisticated technology to alter human life, not only sparked global outcry but in my opinion should be condemned worldwide, totally shouldn’t be allowed.

“Once we start down that line, we’re accepting a story that tells us that some people are genetically superior to other people.”

I’m not surprised at all the scientist behind the effort, He jiankui, did not reply to a list of questions about whether the undertaking had produced a live birth. One could see why public questioning was denied and his comments were declined. 

A Chinese court has sentenced He Jiankui, the scientist who sparked global controversy last year when he claimed to have created the world's first “gene-edited” children, to three years in prison for violating medical regulations. ... “They've crossed the bottom line of ethics in scientific research and medical ethics.

buddy7
11 hours ago, ran23 said:

I remember as a child I asked why cauliflower was green?   It was crossed with Broccoli. 

I’m curiously reserved today not to see things in a funny light, another thing the scientist had messed about with.

image.jpeg.5ce08b6361d7496faa27444b5b52d9ff.jpeg

halia
On 4/7/2021 at 3:32 PM, buddy7 said:

GMO children! This stands for:  A Future of Genetically Engineered Children Is Closer Than You’d Think!! Really.

What made you say halia, let them all rot in China?

Do you share my view halia the scientist are playing God?

Our ethics defines what we can do, and what we shouldn’t, the definition between good and bad,

The birth of the first genetically tailored humans would be a miraculous stunning medical achievement, for both He Jiankui and China. But it will prove controversial, too. Where some see a new form of medicine that eliminates genetic disease, others see a slippery slope to enhancements, designer babies, and a new form of eugenics. Here are my thoughts about it, Why scientist should reverse the process of nature and edit, alter and tailored genes of a growing embryo using their sophisticated technology to alter human life, not only sparked global outcry but in my opinion should be condemned worldwide, totally shouldn’t be allowed.

“Once we start down that line, we’re accepting a story that tells us that some people are genetically superior to other people.”

I’m not surprised at all the scientist behind the effort, He jiankui, did not reply to a list of questions about whether the undertaking had produced a live birth. One could see why public questioning was denied and his comments were declined. 

A Chinese court has sentenced He Jiankui, the scientist who sparked global controversy last year when he claimed to have created the world's first “gene-edited” children, to three years in prison for violating medical regulations. ... “They've crossed the bottom line of ethics in scientific research and medical ethics.

I will not be surprised if there came a time when China introduces cloned humans or those gmo children to the world, and then start their world domination. Their government is mentally sick to the bones. And a nuclear bomb blasting in their government and military facilities I think will only be the solution for our problem. I think I'm being too much for what I have said but see the news. They obviously telling us to sit and watch while they are doing something that is all showing with the use of our satellites.