Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
FunDad62

Beginning of nerve damage?

FunDad62

Ok I'm throwing this out there because the doc's can't seem to come up with a reason.  I have two issues that I wonder if they are related to diabetes.

1.  My upper left arm, bicep/tricep, have been giving me grief for several months.  Anytime I move my arm in any backward direction, it hurts like you know what   Stretching in the morning, reaching back to scratch an itch, etc.  I mean it hurts (scale of 1 to 10, peaks at about an 8 1/2).  Fortunately it goes away about 20 seconds after.  Everything I've read only talks about joint issues.  This is NOT in my shoulder or elbow.  I was sent to an orthopedic institute and they couldn't diagnose it and want me to get an MRI next (with dye) which I have so far opted not to do as it will cost me about $1,000 out of pocket.  I did PT for several weeks and all that did was give me greater range of motion before it started hurting.

2.  I've had tender, burning pain in my right foot for three or four months.  It's intermittent.  Nothing seems to cause it.  It just happens from time to time.  Sitting watching tv.  Lying in bed.  I walk a few miles daily with no issue.  The mid portion of the right side of my food, top and bottom are tender and when the pain comes, it's like a burning needle stuck in my foot that lasts about 10 seconds.  Sometimes it's very painful and I let out a little "Ow!" when it strikes.  The podiatrist thinks it's a pinched nerve in my back of all places causing foot pain.  I have a nerve induction study scheduled on Monday.  I mentioned my shoulder to her and she said she thought that was from a pinched nerve as well, in my neck.  I'm not a doctor but I don't think it's a pinched nerve in my spine.

For both issues, no known injuries, no swelling or discoloration, nothing.  Had x-rays on both and everything showed normal.

Open for thoughts.  Thanks.

Dowling

A pinched nerve does not show up om x-rays and one near the spine could cause pain anywhere in the body depending on which nerve it is. I had severe osteoporosis and the bones in my spine had shrunk. This resulted in the bones pressing on the nerves and the pain was terrible. One day it would be an arm and the next day it would be my neck or a leg. Thankfully my bones built back up and no longer give me a problem except for the one in my neck that was crushed. It to seldom bothers me because I've built up the muscles surrounding my spine.

Let me explain--there are nerves coming out of each one of your vertebrae and they control different parts of your body. When a nerve is pinched at the spine it causes pain in the part of the body controlled by that nerve. The nerve of my crushed disc goes to my ear. Your ear is the center of balance. When I had pain there I had trouble walking and a ringing in my ear. If this is happening in 2 different places I suggest you ask for a bone density test. It could be that you are losing bone in the spine and there are treatments if that's the cause. A bone density measures the density of bone in your spine and hip. The 2 places where you begin to lose bone first.

If you do have bone loss message me and I'll help you build them up. I did it--you could too.

Eurotoff

This is interesting to read, perhaps a doctor could help. The comment above provides great insight on the situation.