Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

irish

Advice required for prediabetic.

irish

Hello. I am prediabetic. My HBalc is  44.

This is my second time to be prediabetic.

Breakfast

I happen to have some boxes of quaker oats containing 5 packets in each box. 

44.8 gms per packet. Carbs 25 gms, of which sugars 5.2

So I have been  adding a spoonful. or maybe a spoonful and a bit of jam to the cereal, to sweeten the taste.

As I write this, I remember that before, I added honey to it. 

Is honey a better option than jam?

I would probably eat 3 packets in a week.

Because I also happen to have flavoured porridge containing in each packet 44.5 gms carb of which sugars 18.7

which i would eat the other 4 days.

Dinner

I get stuff from a takeaway once a week. As I don't eat meat such as lamb, beef or pork, takeaway might be chicken, a bit of salad, usually lettuce, pineapple, and onion. then chips, and/or mashed potato.

What kind of chicken? It could be chicken Goujons, crispy chicken, plain chicken etc.

But the chips and mashed could last me up to 3 or 4 days.

If not eating out, I might cook chicken and or turkey, in a slow cooker. But I would also add some pasta. 

Maybe half of the amount from the image uploaded.

I don't eat Rice a lot, but it would be around the same 

Tea

I also put jam on toasted organic bread, and on something called Cali Cali onion pop-a-grains. See image

carbs are 4.0 of which sugars 0.1.

I might also put butter, or butter and peanut butter on the pop-a=grains

Along with one of those for my tea, would be a slice of cake, 

Supper.

That would be custard and fruit. Fruit might be bananas, apples, oranges, pears, grapes, blueberries, blackcurrants, rasberies. peaches, nectarines, mangoes, covered with custard. No. not all of those fruits at once. 

The custard i use, the box would last about 3 portions. it's 500 gms altogerther.

A quarter portion is 19.5 carb of which sugars  14.4

Other food Outside of meal times.

Icecream. once a week, This might be a swirly containing icecream  and cholate toppings, or with some strawberries. Although the strawberry one would not be swirled.

Chocolate. Not as much as before I was told I was prediabetic the first time

Crisps. Within the last  month,or 6 weeks  i ate maybe 12 packets. 

Drinks. I don't drink tea, or coffee, or alchol. But I do drink minerals, and fruit juices.

Update.

Looking elsewhere. Advice regarding sweeting porridge was grating an apple into it, when porridge is cooked. Maybe I will see that works out.

small-portion-of-pasta.jpg

onionpopagrains-1.png

meyery2k

Frankly - carbs are not good for us if we are diabetic or pre-diabetic.  A good target to start might be 100g of carbs a day.  Those carbs should be quality carbs like nuts and non root vegetables.  Simple carbs such as rice, grains, starches, sugars, fruits, and root vegetables are readily converted to glucose.