Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
halia

How did you deal with the challenges as a Diabetic person?

halia

Not sure if we already have this kind of thread on this forum but how do you deal with the difficult challenges diabetes has given you? The first time you acquired it until today? Please feel free to share it here. 

meyery2k

When I was first diagnosed, I had a lot going on.  High BP, a large Basal Cell Carcinoma that needed a graft, very obese.  My heart rate was 120 just sitting in the doctor's office and my BP was 180/110.  The only reason the doctor let me go home was because I wasn't showing any symptoms to support a trip to the ER.  After the labs came back, I learned I had Type 2 diabetes.

The surgery I needed required me to be fully anesthetized.  I was told flat out, this was a no go.  I would probably die on the table.  

That was my wake up call.  I have seen what ignoring diabetes can do to friends and family.

It took about a month to find this site and, frankly, I was extremely skeptical of the advice here.  Especially with all the "doom and gloom" I thought I knew about diabetes.  I figured I had nothing to lose.  With so much going on, I decided to try and work on my glucose since it seemed the easiest.  I adopted a diet that would probably best be described as keto, got a FitBit, and committed to 10000 steps a day.  It was tough mentally and physically.  My glucose went down to normal within 6 months and I was lost 50 pounds.  The success encouraged me to keep on going.  The doctor was amazed.  I was able to have that surgery.  My BP became good.  Really, just taking the steps to control diabetes seemed like hitting a reset button.  Everything became better as my glucose levels dropped.

Now, 5 years later, it is all habit.  I eat the things I know are good for me.  I got into cycling long distance.  I was running for a while, but I HATE running.  My doctor joked I just had to visit once a year like healthy people do.  At first, it was every 3 or 4 months.  I lost 100 pounds.  I gained some back in muscle but my weight is stable now.  At this point, I really don't think much about it because it is controlled.  I visit this site becasue I have made friends here.

While I don't present as a diabetic, I am clearly insulin resistant.  If I ever doubt that, all I need is some cake or pie.  I go up to about 140 and stay there for 3 or 4 hours then have a reactive hypoglycemia :)

Hammer
12 hours ago, halia said:

Not sure if we already have this kind of thread on this forum but how do you deal with the difficult challenges diabetes has given you? The first time you acquired it until today? Please feel free to share it here. 

I am probably not the one to ask, because I don't see any challenges with having diabetes.  I have been a type 2 diabetic since 2003, and once I found this site, and started asking questions, I was informed as to what I needed to do to control my diabetes...change my diet to low carb, no problem....exercise, no problem (I bought a stationary exercise bike and pedal it every day)....when I am visiting friends or relatives, if we got out for dinner, I can always find something that is low carb, plus my friends and relatives know that I am diabetic, and that try to avoid high carb foods, so they cater to my needs.

I think that most people who are diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic, are so accustomed to eating the foods they like, which are usually high carb foods, that they have trouble adapting to a low carb diet.  I didn't have that problem, as I have always liked the low carb foods.  I'll take some fresh broccoli or fresh cauliflower, over a piece of cake, any day.  I'll open a can of collard greens, drain off the water, then add some Pompeian red wine vinegar that's infused with pomegranate, and eat it right out of the can.  I love garden salads...artichoke hearts...brussel sprouts....pretty much any vegetable that is low in carbs.  Sure, I also like the high carb vegetables, but I avoid them because of their high carb content.

I don't know if you do or don't like vegetables, lots of people don't like vegetables, but they don't like them because they aren't seasoned properly.  If seasoned properly to suit someone's taste, all vegetables will taste good.

Eurotoff

Panicking and being stressed is a normal feeling. However, life must not end so try to engage in activities that makes you happy. Distracting yourself could help. Also, as to foods intake, try low carb foods.  

buddy7

Some years ago when I first got diagnose with diabetes, can recall, I asked a similar question, and this was the answer which was given to me, which I kept on file. And every so often I go back and have a peep, do you know it never gets any better? My advice perseverance.

Diabetes sometimes feels like the ultimate roller coaster, ups and downs, no idea what’s around the corner, and moments where I fear for my life. Part of that ride is an incredibly emotional and mental balancing act.

This adds up to a lot of mental pressure every day, and along with it, feelings of frustration and failure, struggle, and guilt. Less frequent, but far more awesome, are those occasional days when things go right. This short article depicts my roller coaster of emotions in pictures and quotes, and more importantly, shares the tactics I use to deal with them. I’m not always successful, but writing down what helps me is an amazing reminder, I may not enjoy the diabetes emotional roller coaster, but I have many ways to buckle my seat belt and try to enjoy the ride. 😀