Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Eurotoff

Difficulty in Food Intake

Eurotoff

My aunt is diagnosed with Diabetes and Leukemia at the same time. As her only relative, I'm responsible in monitoring her food intake and this is my dilemma.

I'm not knowledgeable of what foods to take and avoid. Some says that fruits are helpful, but as to others, its not and should only limit. I'm confused of who to follow that's why I posted in this Forum to enlighten me. What foods, specifically fruits, are allowed to eat while undergoing these illness.  

meyery2k

I can't speak for leukemia but fruit is not good for diabetics.  Too many carbs, in the form of sugar (fructose).  Oddly, I am always being given fruit or told to eat fruit because it is good for me.

Berries in small quantities can work since the carb count is lower.  SMALL quantities of fruit might work as well.  The best way to determine that would be to test, eat, test after 2 hours.  If you are close to where you started, then that is good.  If your glucose remains high then you could try a smaller quantity.

Dowling

My Sister went through chimo and radiation for colon cancer and she's also diabetic. Her husband made sure she ate often but a little at a time. When you have cancer the worst thing you can do is lose weight. You need your strength to withstand the assault on your body from cancer treatment.  Urge her to eat small and often easily digested foods. Get some sugar free jello cups. Bone broth is good because it gives protein and is easily drank, so it chicken or beef broth. Try low carb yogurt cups-- I like source yogurt cups--low in carbs and the vanilla is very good You could add a few berries. If she likes them and has no trouble swallowing a hard boiled egg now and then. sugar free puddings are good and so is cottage cheese. If she likes soup you could make your own with meat and a few vegetables. I make a good chicken vegetable soup that is very good and easy. 

1/3 store bought rotisserie chicken-break into small pieces,1 small onion diced, a carton of chicken broth, a package of frozen vegetables. Teaspoon poultry seasoning salt and pepper.

In a large pot cook the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil until clear. Add the broth and chicken and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients And simmer until vegetables are cooked.

My brother in law made sure my sister ate a little bit every 2 hours even if it was only a mouthful. and if she had a craving for something he got it for her regardless of carbs. He figured once in a while wouldn't hurt and nutrition was the most important but he did keep an eye out for low carb things. It's a delicate balance

Eurotoff

Thank you guys for your comments. I think its good to adapt eating in smaller portions to avoid carbs craving. As to the fruits intake, we were informed to eat berries, but on a limited basis only. A friend of mine also recommended Keto Diet. It is a low cab but high in fat diet, are you familiar with it? Will try it and hope it works.

Dowling

Yes the keto diet is similar to what we do but keep in mind you are also battling cancer and she may not want to eat. It is essential that she not lose too much weight and is able to stay healthy. She will also be nauseous and that will have to be coped with. Try to keep low carb but also give her things she wants to eat. Maybe a protein drink will help too. Atkins and Premier make a good tasting protein drink that is very low in carbs and gives lots of nutrition. I like the chocolate but it also comes in strawberry and vanilla. I often have them when I'm not getting enough protein from my diet. Refrigerate them if possible. They taste better cold. Try for easily digested food so it doesn't lay heavy on her stomach. If she likes it you could try a spoon of peanut butter mixed with some crushed berries and a tiny bit of Splenda or other sweetener. Or make a smoothie with a few frozen berries a tiny bit of cream cheese, a little sweetener and low carb almond milk. It may be easier to drink than eat.

ArrowAntoinette
On 4/8/2021 at 9:07 PM, Eurotoff said:

My aunt is diagnosed with Diabetes and Leukemia at the same time. As her only relative, I'm responsible in monitoring her food intake and this is my dilemma.

I'm not knowledgeable of what foods to take and avoid. Some says that fruits are helpful, but as to others, its not and should only limit. I'm confused of who to follow that's why I posted in this Forum to enlighten me. What foods, specifically fruits, are allowed to eat while undergoing these illness.  

Just curious...did your aunt's doctor recommended anything on food intake since these are 2 major illnesses? 

Dowling
4 hours ago, ArrowAntoinette said:

Just curious...did your aunt's doctor recommended anything on food intake since these are 2 major illnesses? 

Not likely. For one thing most doctors don't know much about diabetes or how to control it or what food to eat. My sister's doctor only gave the advice to eat (no specifics) because you need to keep your weight up. Other patients at the cancer hospital had lost significant weight. One asked my BIL what my sister was doing to keep her weight up. She wouldn't have had to do that if her doctor had given her advice on eating.

Eurotoff
On 4/16/2021 at 9:51 PM, Dowling said:

Not likely. For one thing most doctors don't know much about diabetes or how to control it or what food to eat. My sister's doctor only gave the advice to eat (no specifics) because you need to keep your weight up. Other patients at the cancer hospital had lost significant weight. One asked my BIL what my sister was doing to keep her weight up. She wouldn't have had to do that if her doctor had given her advice on eating.

This is actually true. Days passed and her condition is not improving. I'm actually getting anxious and sometimes getting mental breakdown fearing I'm also a carrier of the illness because we share the same lifestyle. I was advised to see a therapist, but I'm too scared. Do you guys have tried to consult a therapist? 

Dowling
2 hours ago, Eurotoff said:

This is actually true. Days passed and her condition is not improving. I'm actually getting anxious and sometimes getting mental breakdown fearing I'm also a carrier of the illness because we share the same lifestyle. I was advised to see a therapist, but I'm too scared. Do you guys have tried to consult a therapist? 

What illness? Cancer and diabetes are not contagious, If you are talking about Covid then get a test.

Cancer does not improve overnight. It takes time but she should get scans from time to time and that can give you hope. If you are scared that to someone. It needn't  be a therapist but it could be. It could be a friend or minister or any trusted person and take their advice. A burden shared is a burden lightened