Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Averaoxi

I'm heading to the hospital to get my diagnosis straightened out

Averaoxi

I've struggled for years with my blood sugar /never/ being consistent. When I was first diagnosed, they told me i had type 1. Then they said type 2 and put me on metformin, to which my blood sugar was literally perfect. Then I had some problems with the endo I was seeing, and she took me off my meds and the new endo they put me with, took a year to put me on new meds. (oh, and he said I had type 1 diabetes in early 2017, and didn't prescribe me insulin until november or december that year).

My blood sugar is /never/ consistent with anything I do. Every day it always reacts drastically different to the carbs I eat. No matter how much fiber I take, no matter how much exercise I do, there will be long stretches if my blood sugar doing okay-ish after meals, or shoot way past 300. Early this year my blood sugar went to 520 on food that I've had several times before, that, had never shot my sugars up that high (and no I didn't have ketones in me).

I'm 24 years old. I'm scared because I've had to put my life on hold for a long time, especially since 2017. I just want this nightmare to end

meyery2k

Please let us know what they find.  You may want to look into what is know as Type 1.5 or LADA.  These can have a honeymoon period where things seem manageable and then they become unmanageable as the pancreas can longer produce insulin.  Unfortunately, we have to be proactive about diabetes.  There is a great deal of misinformation out there. Please let us know how you do! ~ Mike

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-1-diabetes/expert-answers/lada-diabetes/faq-20057880

Dowling

I'm not on insulin but others here are maybe they will chime in. Insulin should control your diabetes if you are 1 or 1.5. What I wonder is what type of insulin you are using and when you take it. I don't know much about insulin use but I've listen to others here who use it. There is one type you take that's long lasting and another that you take to bolus for meals. If you could post your insulin and how you use it it could help others understand and perhaps give you advice on the way they use it.

Hammer

Averaoxi, the first thing that you need to do is to have the doctor run some tests to see if you are a type 1, a type 1.5, or a type 2 diabetic.  Until they can determine that, it is impossible to know what is happening with your diabetes, since all three types have different treatments.

Eurotoff

Hi there! Did you already consult your doctor? What's the update of your condition? Hope everything is okay. 

Just incase you didn't yet set  your appointment, set it now before its too late.