Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
irish

Advice required for other foods

irish

(1) Uncle Ben's boil in a bag wholegrain rice. (4 sachets of  125 gramme per box.

ingredients Parboiled Wholegrain Rice

Half a sachet is carbs 50 of which sugars 0.1

(2) MaLAI EXTRA CORN FLOUR (1KG BAG)

iNGREDIENTS -CORN FLOUR

cARBS PER 100 GRAMME OF WHICH SUGARS OF WHICH SUGARS 2.5

(3)dOLMIO PASTA SAUCE (340 GRAMMES)

iNGREDIENTS

Tomatoes (43%) Courgette (17%) Onion Tomato Paste (6.7%) Red Pepper Yellow Pepper Carrot Puree Basil (1.5%) Modified Maize Starch Carrot Puree Concentrate Sugar Salt Sunflower Oil Garlic Onion Powder (Roasted) Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid) Herb Spices

Carbs per portion is 11, of which sugars 7.1

TX_Clint

1. No-no.... Carbs minus some fiber is what you count. Get off the sugar thing. Don't even bother looking at sugar content. At best look at carbs minus fiber.

2. Same as 1.

3. Maybe if you go lite on the sauce. Maybe go half a serving. But then the question comes up as to what you're going to put the sauce on? Pasta is grain and very high in carbs. I use zoodles (zucchini spiraled noodles) or Shirataki Konjac noodles.

COUNT CARBS

adiantum

irish I'm sure if you tried cooking from scratch you'd enjoy the meal much  better  both  nutritionally & flavorsome.

get off the rice & pasta & try zuchini noodles or riced cauliflower.

You can easily make a nice sauce  just by browning ground beef, adding onions,garlic & tomato paste.

meyery2k

Don't go the other direction and try for zero carbs.  It is boring and not nutritious.  Try for 100g of carbs a day.  Get those carbs from non root vegetables and nuts.  Many of us here try for 50g or lower but that can be a tough goal so try for 100g.

Use things like ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, mayonnaise, and other high fat items for seasoning.  They also keep you full.  Simple carbs are burned off quickly and you will soon be hungry again.

Flour, grains, rice, sugar, fruit (sugar is sugar), pasta, and breads are simple carbs.  Even though they might not be sugar, they are converted rapidly to glucose, which is sugar, by your body.  Adapting to a fat burning diet vs. a carb burning diet has helped many here including me.  I used to be the guy that would take 5 minutes ordering at the drive thru.  Double cheese burger (largest on the menu), extra large fries, jalapeno poppers, and tacos (Jack in The Box if anyone cares lol).  Sometimes a large milkshake for dessert. It was not easy mentally to give that stuff up but it can be done.  I love good cheese and nuts.  Steak with butter on top, mushrooms cooked in the fat seasoned with salt, pepper, onion, and garlic, and a salad is a quick and great meal.

Look up keto meatloaf.  Ground beef and cheese seasoned right.  Beats Jack in the Box any day. :) 

halia

I maintain my preferred weight and avoid highs and lows. So now I low carb. Good thing is, boyfie is an excellent cook and makes tasty meals that aren’t high in carbs. I eat meat, fish, chicken, veggies, fruits mostly. He makes a killer minestrone which is often my lunch. I avoid white foods now.

irish

Tx-Clint-Thank. I haven't gone near  any of the stuff mentioned including the sauce.

adiantum-Thank you. Response to your suggestions. I don't eat beef. I'm too lazy to cook for myself, as in cooking from recipes. Riced cauliflower-Hmm. I don't know. Is it a chore to make. I know there is a grater here in the house. 

Meyery2k. Thank you

"Don't go the other direction and try for zero carbs." Ha ha-Nope.

"Many of us here try for 50g or lower but that can be a tough goal so try for 100g." Oh, I would say it's way over 100.

"  I used to be the guy that would take 5 minutes ordering at the drive thru.  Double cheese burger (largest on the menu), extra large fries, jalapeno poppers, and tacos (Jack in The Box if anyone cares lol).  Sometimes a large milkshake for dessert. "

I have no idea what  jalapeno poppers are, or tacos (Jack in The Box   ☺. But looks like you were eating a lot more than me.

"Look up keto meatloaf.  Ground beef and cheese seasoned right.  Beats Jack in the Box any day"

Don't eat beef. so that's out.

Okay, my doctor recommended I cut down on stuff, which I have done to a degree. 

So what have I done? 

cut down on chocolate (still eating a bit, as in 1 walker's mint thin dark chocolate a day, (finish when tin is empty) and sometimes a sweet or two from polish shop, and a curd cheese chocolate bar once a week.

Cut out bread, except for organic bread,  1 toasted slice a day with butter and peanut butter. But I got bread for free. So If i don't get for free, I will do without bread.

used to eat yogurts eg danio yogurts, yogurts with chocolate pieces etc.

Now only greek style yogurt. but i put fruit in it.

Cut out Pasta. But it is not something I am going to miss. I just happened to have got many bags for free.

Noodles. One small packet of noodles could last me maybe 3 or 4 meals.  A typical meal for me with with noodles might be 1 third of a packet of noodles, a bit of chicken, a bit of carrot, and maybe a few small potatoes. I was having meals like that a few years back.

Rice. I am not someone who loves rice. But, I have been lately eating rice made from Konjac. It's from diabetar.co.uk. 

I also have spaghetti and noodles from the same company.

one pack would last me at least 3 meals.

Chicken. If its breaded. I will throw most of the breaded part  away for the birds or whoever.

cakes. maybe one slice a week. 

Cereal. Haven't changed. I usually eat porridge. Because I have many packets here. If it's plain, i will add fruit

Potatoes. Well, I go to a takeaway once a week. Before Prediabetes warning, chips chicken and some salad would be the usual, or maybe curried rice and chicken. But the chips might last me 4 days, and the chicken 2 or 3.

Since warning. Chips from takeaway, once a month. I eat 6 chips when I am having them.

I have cut out curried rice and chicken.

fresh potatoes from supermarket or whatever. Currently, sweet potatoes, cut off 6 thin slices.cook in air fryer.

I don't eat potatoes every day.

Icecream. Still have my icecream treat once a week. That is usually now strawberries and icecream.

Crisps-cut them out.

Still drinking minerals, eg flavoured water, sprite, diet coke, once in a while, and others,

How do I drink. In morning, maybe a mouthful with tablets. With breakfast I might get though a glass 

Rest of the day, If out walking. I don't have a car. I might walk when weather is good, at least 1 hour in a day.

I might go to a shop and get a small mineral, maybe flavoured water, and  that might be finished before i get back home.

Fruit. Still eating lots of fruit. as in fruit added to cereal if cereal is plain, small bit of fruit in greek yogurt after cereal, and fruit and yogurt around 9.30 at night, if i can. Sometimes later. It used to be fruit and tesco custard at night . Not the whole packet. A small packet might last me 3 meals.

Prawn crackers-finishing off a packet, i got before warning. No more then. Maybe 6 per day

I know I am way over the 100 limit of carbs  per day. 

So the worst of a day.

Morning

1 walkers mint thin 

(mouthful of mineral with tablets. (What mineral it is, depends)

Breakfast. unsweetned porridge (add a banana or maybe a handful of sultanas and some raisins.

Greek yougurt (maybe 4 large spoonfuls in a bowl, add fruit

Dinner. (chicken/turkey/duck , or fish, 6 chips, mushrooms, Diabetar rice, or, noodles, or spaghetti. Probably a mouthful of mineral.

2 duck spring rolls, 2 cabbage and mushroom dumplings, 

Go out for walk. Buy a mineral, sit down on bench. Have a few mouthfuls of mineral.  Bottle might be finished before I get home.

Get strawberry and  icecream (one day a week)

Get curd cheese bar in polish shop (one day a week)

Get plum chocolate sweet  (one day a week)

Tea. 

Organic bread toasted (none now, so 1 plain rice thingy)

2 chicken sausages.

Some kale heated in microwave. Then a bit of butter on Kale

Some coleslaw.

Make messy sandwiches with chicken sausages, coleslaw, and Kale.

Maybe use Chinese Cabbage instead of kale.

Slice of cake (i day a week)

Supper .

Tesco custard maybe third of a small box, pour over fruit.

Also throughout day more mouthfuls of mineral, and some prawn crackers.

Edited by irish

ran23

There is a Soy based noodle company out there.  1 net carb per serving.  I like the spaghetti, usually stir fry with veggies.  The Fettuccine is great with a basic pasta sauce and meatballs or whatever.   It does satisfy my cravings  for noodles now and then.   

Dowling
3 hours ago, irish said:

Tx-Clint-Thank. I haven't gone near  any of the stuff mentioned including the sauce.

adiantum-Thank you. Response to your suggestions. I don't eat beef. I'm too lazy to cook for myself, as in cooking from recipes. Riced cauliflower-Hmm. I don't know. Is it a chore to make. I know there is a grater here in the house. 

Meyery2k. Thank you

"Don't go the other direction and try for zero carbs." Ha ha-Nope.

"Many of us here try for 50g or lower but that can be a tough goal so try for 100g." Oh, I would say it's way over 100.

"  I used to be the guy that would take 5 minutes ordering at the drive thru.  Double cheese burger (largest on the menu), extra large fries, jalapeno poppers, and tacos (Jack in The Box if anyone cares lol).  Sometimes a large milkshake for dessert. "

I have no idea what  jalapeno poppers are, or tacos (Jack in The Box   ☺. But looks like you were eating a lot more than me.

"Look up keto meatloaf.  Ground beef and cheese seasoned right.  Beats Jack in the Box any day"

Don't eat beef. so that's out.

Okay, my doctor recommended I cut down on stuff, which I have done to a degree. 

So what have I done? 

cut down on chocolate (still eating a bit, as in 1 walker's mint thin dark chocolate a day, (finish when tin is empty) and sometimes a sweet or two from polish shop, and a curd cheese chocolate bar once a week.

Cut out bread, except for organic bread,  1 toasted slice a day with butter and peanut butter. But I got bread for free. So If i don't get for free, I will do without bread.

used to eat yogurts eg danio yogurts, yogurts with chocolate pieces etc.

Now only greek style yogurt. but i put fruit in it.

Cut out Pasta. But it is not something I am going to miss. I just happened to have got many bags for free.

Noodles. One small packet of noodles could last me maybe 3 or 4 meals.  A typical meal for me with with noodles might be 1 third of a packet of noodles, a bit of chicken, a bit of carrot, and maybe a few small potatoes. I was having meals like that a few years back.

Rice. I am not someone who loves rice. But, I have been lately eating rice made from Konjac. It's from diabetar.co.uk. 

I also have spaghetti and noodles from the same company.

one pack would last me at least 3 meals.

Chicken. If its breaded. I will throw most of the breaded part  away for the birds or whoever.

cakes. maybe one slice a week. 

Cereal. Haven't changed. I usually eat porridge. Because I have many packets here. If it's plain, i will add fruit

Potatoes. Well, I go to a takeaway once a week. Before Prediabetes warning, chips chicken and some salad would be the usual, or maybe curried rice and chicken. But the chips might last me 4 days, and the chicken 2 or 3.

Since warning. Chips from takeaway, once a month. I eat 6 chips when I am having them.

I have cut out curried rice and chicken.

fresh potatoes from supermarket or whatever. Currently, sweet potatoes, cut off 6 thin slices.cook in air fryer.

I don't eat potatoes every day.

Icecream. Still have my icecream treat once a week. That is usually now strawberries and icecream.

Crisps-cut them out.

Still drinking minerals, eg flavoured water, sprite, diet coke, once in a while, and others,

How do I drink. In morning, maybe a mouthful with tablets. With breakfast I might get though a glass 

Rest of the day, If out walking. I don't have a car. I might walk when weather is good, at least 1 hour in a day.

I might go to a shop and get a small mineral, maybe flavoured water, and  that might be finished before i get back home.

Fruit. Still eating lots of fruit. as in fruit added to cereal if cereal is plain, small bit of fruit in greek yogurt after cereal, and fruit and yogurt around 9.30 at night, if i can. Sometimes later. It used to be fruit and tesco custard at night . Not the whole packet. A small packet might last me 3 meals.

Prawn crackers-finishing off a packet, i got before warning. No more then. Maybe 6 per day

I know I am way over the 100 limit of carbs  per day. 

So the worst of a day.

Morning

1 walkers mint thin 

(mouthful of mineral with tablets. (What mineral it is, depends)

Breakfast. unsweetned porridge (add a banana or maybe a handful of sultanas and some raisins.

Greek yougurt (maybe 4 large spoonfuls in a bowl, add fruit

Dinner. (chicken/turkey/duck , or fish, 6 chips, mushrooms, Diabetar rice, or, noodles, or spaghetti. Probably a mouthful of mineral.

2 duck spring rolls, 2 cabbage and mushroom dumplings, 

Go out for walk. Buy a mineral, sit down on bench. Have a few mouthfuls of mineral.  Bottle might be finished before I get home.

Get strawberry and  icecream (one day a week)

Get curd cheese bar in polish shop (one day a week)

Get plum chocolate sweet  (one day a week)

Tea. 

Organic bread toasted (none now, so 1 plain rice thingy)

2 chicken sausages.

Some kale heated in microwave. Then a bit of butter on Kale

Some coleslaw.

Make messy sandwiches with chicken sausages, coleslaw, and Kale.

Maybe use Chinese Cabbage instead of kale.

Slice of cake (i day a week)

Supper .

Tesco custard maybe third of a small box, pour over fruit.

Also throughout day more mouthfuls of mineral, and some prawn crackers.

Your diet is more carbs than anything else. If you are serious about getting your diabetes under control you have a lot to learn. If I made a list of the carby food in your diet you'd only have a few things left. well here goes

Morning--The only thing there that doesn't have carbs and lots of them is your mineral water

dinner is just as bad except for the meat fish and mushrooms

your snacks are pure sugar

tea is slightly better except for the bread and cake

supper--custard fruit and crackers are loaded with carbs

Fruit has fructoise which is another word for sugar, all any of us allow ourselves is a handful of berries occasionally and the only ice cream we eat is a low carb  one or none at all

All Bread even organic, crackers and cereal is made with grain which turns to sugar in your body

In my mind unless you change your diet you are headed for Diabetic complications

irish

There no carbs in the spaghetti. noodles, or rice i mentioned. Unless the makers are lying.

The duck spring rolls and dumplings are not all the time. Remember i said "Worst week"

I need to get a glucose monitor. 

Someone here gave me the price of a cheap one. I must have a look for that message.

irish

From https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-fruit-good-or-bad-for-your-health#TOC_TITLE_HDR_8

Is Fructose Bad for You? The Surprising Truth

Along with glucose, fructose is one of the two major components of added sugar.

Some health experts believe fructose is the worse of the two, at least when consumed in excess.

Are these concerns backed by science? This article reviews the evidence.

Fructose is a type of simple sugar that makes up 50% of table sugar (sucrose).

Unlike glucose, fructose causes a low rise in blood sugar levels. Therefore, some health professionals recommend fructose as a “safe” sweetener for people with type 2 diabetes (3Trusted Source).

However, others are worried that excessive fructose intake may contribute to several metabolic disorders. These concerns are discussed in the next chapter.

SUMMARY

Fructose is a type of sugar that makes up around 50% of table sugar and high-fructose corn syrup. Scientists are concerned that excessive intake may cause metabolic disorders.

Why Is Fructose Bad for You?

When people eat a diet that is high in calories and high in fructose, the liver gets overloaded and starts turning the fructose into fat.

Many scientists believe that excess fructose consumption may be a key driver of many of the most serious diseases of today. These include obesity, type II diabetes, heart disease and even cancer.

However, more human evidence is needed. Researchers debate the extent to which fructose contributes to these disorders (4Trusted S

SUMMARY

Many health professionals have claimed that excessive fructose intake is a major cause of metabolic disorders.

Eating a lot of fructose in the form of added sugars may: Cause insulin resistance, which can lead to obesity and type II diabetes (10 (and lots of other things.

Note that not all of this has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt in controlled studies. However, the evidence is still there, and more studies will paint a clearer picture in the coming years and decades.

SUMMARY

Many studies suggest that a high fructose intake may contribute to chronic diseases in humans.

It’s important to realize that all of this does not apply to whole fruit.

Fruits aren’t just watery bags of fructose, they are real foods with a low calorie density and lots of fiber.

They’re hard to overeat on and you would have to eat very large amounts to reach harmful levels of fructose. In general, fruit is a minor source of fructose in the diet compared to added sugars.

The harmful effects of fructose apply to a Western diet supplying excess calories and added sugars. It does not apply to the natural sugars found in fruits and vegetables.

However, fruits are relatively high in sugar compared to other whole foods.

For this reason, you might wonder whether they are truly healthy after all. This article sheds some light on the subject.

Many people now believe that because added sugars are bad, the same must apply to fruits, which also contain fructose.

However, this is a misconception. Fructose is only harmful in large amounts, and it’s difficult to get excessive amounts of fructose from fruit.

SUMMARY

Evidence suggests that fructose can cause harm when consumed in excess. However, there is not enough fructose in fruit to cause concern.

When fructose hits your liver fast and in large amounts, as is the case when you drink soda, it can have adverse health effects over time.

However, when it hits your liver slowly and in small amounts, as is the case when you eat an apple, your body is well adapted to easily metabolize the fructose.

While eating large amounts of added sugar is harmful to most people, the same does not apply to fruit.

Of course, “fruit” is an entire food group. There are thousands of different edible fruits found in nature, and their nutrient compositions can vary greatly.

So, if you want to maximize fruits’ health effects, focus on ones that are rich in nutrients. Try fruits with more skin.

The skin of fruits is usually very rich in antioxidants and fiber. This is the reason that berries, which have greater amounts of skin, gram for gram, are often considered healthier than larger fruits.

It is also a good idea to switch things up and eat a variety of fruits because different fruits contain different nutrients.

a study including 9,665 US adults found that a high fruit and vegetable intake was associated with a 46% lower risk of diabetes in women, but there was no difference in men (12).

One study looked at how different types of fruit affect the risk of type 2 diabetes. Those who consumed the most grapes, apples and blueberries had the lowest risk, with blueberries having the strongest effect (16Trusted Source).

However, one problem with observational studies is that they cannot prove that the associations they detect are direct causal relationships.

People who eat the most fruit tend to be more health conscious, less likely to smoke and more likely to exercise.

That said, a few randomized controlled trials (real human experiments) have shown that increased fruit intake can lower blood pressure, reduce oxidative stress and improve glycemic control in diabetics (17, 18Trusted Source).

Overall, it seems clear from the data that fruits have significant health benefits.

SUMMARY

Plenty of evidence shows that a high fruit intake is associated with a lower risk of serious diseases like heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes.

When to Avoid Fruit

Even though fruit is healthy for most people, there are some reasons why others may need to avoid it.

One is intolerance. For example, eating fruit can cause digestive symptoms in people with and intolerance to FODMAPs.

The other reason is being on a very low-carb or ketogenic diet. The main goal of these diets is to reduce carb intake sufficiently for the brain to start using mostly ketone bodies for fuel instead of glucose.

For this to happen, it’s necessary to restrict carbs to under 50 grams per day, sometimes all the way down to 20–30 grams.

Given that just a single piece of fruit can contain more than 20 grams of carbs, it’s obvious that fruits are inappropriate for such a diet. Even just one piece of fruit per day could easily knock you out of ketosis.

SUMMARY

The main reasons to avoid fruit include a relevant intolerance or being on a very low-carb or ketogenic diet.

Edited by irish

adiantum

Irish, I wish you'd take diabetes seriously. Its not a trendy word thats dropped in media reports, it's a serious disease.

I have a friend in rehab now learning life skills since her leg was amputated. Her A1c was accepted at 7

I have to control my diet as I dont want to have a stroke nor heart attack, nor  can I  afford to pay someone to care for me if I survive it.

My much loved cousin died of kidney failure at 40yrs old thanks to diabetes. A very painful death at that.

You can even go blind .

I can think of no food thats worth losing my sight over nor my feet or legs.

riced cauliflower is available at the supermarket in the freezer aisle.

There are  many recipes  and even cooking instructions online or just ask us here as we'd love to help you.

Edited by adiantum

meyery2k

Having experience with this, I am going to give some tough love.  We are trying to offer advice which you have asked for.

Simple carbs are NOT GOOD FOR US.  As much as we would like to justify consuming them, the best solution many of us have found is to avoid them.  Whether the source is fructose, simple starches, sugar (sucrose), they are converted to glucose which you do not need.  Dowling has already offered great suggestions on areas to look at in your diet.

There were many foods I enjoyed and thought I could weasel around with.  Using a meter and observation brought home to me what many are trying to tell you.  Simple carbs are not good for us.  Even a very little bit of rice, bread or pasta, will elevate my BG.  Not terribly, no, but if I allow myself to be encouraged by that and continue, the trend will continue upwards.  I worked too hard to get where I am at to let food ruin it.

Cooking - Learn to cook.  It is not difficult and, once it is habit, it will be a part of your day.  You will eat better tasting food and cooking can be enjoyable.  We have all had many kitchen disasters and, looking back, they were fun.  Many processed foods have carbs that you wouldn't even realize unless you scrutinize labels.  It takes 20 minutes to prepare meat, veggies, and eggs for breakfast.  Get a crock pot and learn to season whatever meats you like.  

Please take this seriously.  I have seen friends and relatives die from diabetes complications.  I hate to be the one to use the gross example but here goes...

It starts with a spot on the toe (or foot) that doesn't heal.  The doctor discovers it is gangrenous because of circulatory damage.  Then it is discovered, it is more than the visible spot (it is always more).  Eventually it becomes the foot (a bit at a time) then the foot is gone and this works up the leg.  This can happen on hands and arms too.  While this is going on, your eyesight might get destroyed.  Your organs get damaged.  It is a miserable, smelly process to see.  My children did not want to visit their great grandmother on my wife's side because of the stench.  Her flesh was rotting on her body.  My wife was berating them.  I took the kid's side.  I didn't want to visit her.  She was sick and smelly.  Yes, that is a shameful thing to write, but it was true.  Obviously, this created strife within my own family.  I cannot imagine being in the wheelchair going through that.  I think I would rather be put out of misery, frankly.

I will do anything I can to not be that.  Diet and exercise turned me around.  I am healthier and in better physical shape at 54 than I was at 40.  If it wasn't on my chart, the PCP would have no idea I have diabetes.  My A1c is under 5 and my fasting BG under 100.  If I was dumb enough to take an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test, though, I would show everyone I was diabetic.

You will see and hear many arguments that you can enjoy carbs "in moderation".  Even the American Diabetes Association says this.  Take a minute and think about it.  Glucose is fuel for your body.  You are flooded with it.  Is it logical that more fuel is the answer?

It is tough at first.  Some of the ideas are counter-intuitive.  It take some time to find your own path.  The good news is there are many paths and complications take a while to manifest so you can decide, today, to take control or not.

Please consider this strongly, make a decision, and if you decide to try and live with this, take it seriously.  You cannot plead with the process.  You cannot justify or cheat.  Tough but truth.

irish

I have a brother 11 months younger than me with two diabetes. He has to get  injections in his eyes. He is concerned about losing his sight.

I have another relative who is type 1. He had  to have both legs amputated below the knee. But he did drink excessive amounts of coke.

Of course I take it seriously. But I not going to rush headlong into some diet. I will get a monitor, as soon  as I can afford one, and i have a blood test in october.  

ok, it's your choice to call Healthline trendy or whatever. 

I presume you don't feel the same way about the NHS.

This is from a pdf i downloaded.

Steps towards managing pre DM
 Manage your weight
 Eat well 
 Avoid or stop smoking (don]t smoke
 Reduce waist measurement (less than 80cm for women / less than 94cm for men) I am about 104 now
 Increase physical activity. 

If you are overweight, losing some weight will help to reduce your blood glucose level. Try to lose
weight by cutting down on fatty foods (doing) and keeping as active as possible. (doing) Aim for weight loss of at least
5% (where appropriate) to reduce risk of Type 2 Diabetes, by reducing your energy (calorie) intake (doing)

reduce your intake of sugar sweetened beverages and sugary foods (doing)
 increase your intake of wholegrain and high fibre foods (doing)
 reduce your fat intake, especially saturated fat, (doing)
 reduce salt intake (i don't use salt)
 if you drink alcohol, drink it in moderation (don;'t drinnk)
 eat regular meals with a small (fist sized) portion of carbohydrate at each meal. (not sure what this means. I can understand a fistful sized portion of food, but not a fistful sized portion of carbohydrates.
 eat five (handful sized) portions of fruit and vegetables per day. (okay, how much fruit did i eat today. Well my cereal this morning was golden syrup flavoured porridge. So I didn't add fruit to that. Then i had about 4 large spoonfuls of tesco greek style plain yogurt.  I added about half a pear to that.

Tonight i had more fruit, (1 banana, a few slices of plum, 1 small orange, a few slices of mango, and a few slices of pear. I doubt that amount comes to 5 handfuls even.)

Include starchy carbohydrates at each meal
Carbohydrates provide us with our main source of energy. They are also a source of vitamins and fibre
so are an important part of our diet. Most carbohydrates are digested and absorbed as glucose into the
bloodstream - some very quickly (sugary foods) and some more slowly (starchy foods) - at each meal
resulting in a rise in blood glucose levels.
Try to include the slowly absorbed starchy carbohydrates as these do not affect your blood glucose
levels as much. Better choices include:
 pasta (Pasta, Really?)
 basmati or easy cook rice
 grainy breads such as granary, pumpernickel and rye
 new potatoes, sweet potato and yam
 porridge oats, All-Bran and natural muesli (So the nhs says porridge is ok)
 pulses, e.g. lentils, kidney beans and baked beans. (I don't like beans, or peas either, or lentils) 

The high fibre varieties of starchy foods will also help to maintain the health of your digestive system
and prevent problems such as constipation. All these different types of carbohydrate will be digested
into sugar so limiting portion size is important.

Reduce salt - Do not add salt to your food and limit the amount of processed foods you eat.(I DON'T)
Cut down on fat, especially saturated fat
Choose unsaturated fats or oils: olive oil and rapeseed oil. As fat is the greatest source of calories, (I DON'T USE OIL)
eating less will help you to lose weight. To cut down on the fat you eat here are some tips:
 choose lower fat dairy products - milk, cheese and diet yoghurts
 choose leaner cuts of meat and trim off any visible fat/skin (choose white meat/fish instead of red
meat or processed meats) yes
 grill, steam or oven bake rather than frying or roasting in oil. (I use air fryer, microwave, slow cooker
 include low-fat margarines and cooking oils based on unsaturated fats, e.g. olive oil (not applicable)
 avoid foods with hidden fats e.g. pastries, pies, cakes and biscuits (okay, a failing there from me)
 try to have 2-3 portions of oily fish a week, e.g. mackerel, sardines, pilchards, salmon, herring
and trout. They contain a type of fat (long chain Omega 3 fatty acids) that is good for your heart. (i eat fish once a week, but it's usually whiting or smoked haddock. I suppose i could buy some tins of sardines)  

Reduced fat and reduced sugar products
Many foods labelled as low fat, e.g. low-fat yoghurts, cakes and biscuits are often high in sugar, also
low sugar products can be high in fat, so both are best avoided. Keeping a healthy balance can be
difficult so using food labels can help to make appropriate choices. Use the following table as a guide.

A lot (per 100g food) A Little (per 100g food)
17.5g fat or more 3g fat or less
5g Saturated fat or more 1.5g saturated fat or less
1.5g salt or more 0.3g salt or less
22.5g sugars or more 5g sugars or less

Something to take note of.

Keep active
Regular physical activity will help manage your weight, reduce your blood glucose levels as well as
lowering your cholesterol. Aim for 30 minutes/day of moderate to vigorous intensity exercise that eaves you slightly breathless at least 5 times per week. (ok. i shoould have a go at that) 

Leaflet produced by Western Sussex Hospitals Dietitians. For further information or to provide feedback please contact:
St Richard’s Hospital Tel: 01243 831498 Email: wshnt.chichesterdietitians@nhs.net
Worthing & Southlands Hospital Tel: 01903 286779 Email: worthing.dietitians@wsht.nhs.uk

Dowling

Irish It seems to me you are trying to validate your diet and you are not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes.

Lets talk apples. There are 25 carbs in a small apple and 4.4 grams of fiber. That means that apple is mostly sugar. Other fruit has similar counts. If you are questioning our knowledge why ask at all.

I'm not trying to scare you away or to be mean or put you down. I'm just trying to give you the truth. We've all been where you are now and we know it is hard to do without the food we enjoy but we have found if we stick to a low carb high fat diet our tastes change and before long we seldom miss our old diet. I know I've tried some food I loved before my diagnoses and found that I didn't even like it any more. Sweets seem too sweet and so does fruit

Spaghetti and noodles are made from grains and rice is a grain. All grains have starch and starch turns to glucose in the body. If you look up the nutrition for any grain you will see that it has a high carb count

Edited by Dowling

irish

Hi Dowling. "It seems to me you are trying to validate your diet and you are not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes."

ok. That's your opinion.

There are 25 carbs in a small apple and 4.4 grams of fiber. That means that apple is mostly sugar. Other fruit has similar counts. If you are questioning our knowledge why ask at all.

Well i think i am entitled to ask, and then look elsewhere. and make my choices based on what the majority say.  

For instance here is what another diabetic forum says regarding fruit.

"fruit and diabetes

Everyone should be eating more fruit and vegetables. You're probably aware of the five-a-day target, and this is equally important if you’re living with diabetes or if you’re not.

This is because fruit and vegetables are associated with lower risk of heart disease and certain types of cancers. They also provide fibre, minerals and vitamins. 

You might think that the sugar content of fruit means that you can’t eat it. But the sugar in whole fruit does not count towards free sugars, so it is not this type of sugar we need to cut down on. This is different to the free sugar in drinks, chocolate, cakes and biscuits, as well as in fruit juices and honey.

The amount of carbohydrate you eat has the biggest effect on your blood glucose levels after eating. A portion of fruit, such as a medium apple, generally contains about 15 to 20g carbs, a chocolate muffin has 55g carbs and a 500ml ordinary fizzy drink has 54g carbs. It is better to reduce your intake of chocolate, sugary drinks, cakes and other snacks than whole fruit when trying to restrict your carb intake to help manage your blood glucose levels. For people who follow a low-carb diet, it is important to identify the sources of carbs that are not healthy and cut those down first. 

It is very unlikely that you need to reduce your fruit intake but you could keep a food diary to check how often and how much fruit you are eating. Many people eat fruit infrequently, but tend to have larger portions when they do eat them, so some people find that it is easy to overdo the dried fruit, grapes and tropical fruits.

If you consider a serving of dried fruit is only a tablespoon and packs in 20g carbs total sugar, you can see how easily this happens. 

Be mindful of your serving sizes too – a large banana counts for one and half portions of fruit and contains about 30g carbs. But, most people need to cut down on foods with added sugars and refined carbs rather than whole fruit – a large banana is still better for your long-term health than a standard slice of cake, which contains about 25g carbohydrate. This is partly because the banana has no free sugar. "

As a guide, a portion of fresh fruit is one that fits into the palm of an adult hand. NHS Choices suggest the following as a guide:

Small-sized fresh fruit

One portion is two or more small fruit, for example two plums, two satsumas, two kiwi fruit, three apricots, six lychees, seven strawberries or 14 cherries.

Medium-sized fresh fruit

One portion is one piece of fruit, such as one apple, banana, pear, orange or nectarine.

Large fresh fruit

One portion is half a grapefruit, one slice of papaya, one slice of melon (5cm slice), one large slice of pineapple or two slices of mango (5cm slices).

Dried fruit

A portion of dried fruit is around 30g. This is about one heaped tablespoon of raisins, currants or sultanas, one tablespoon of mixed fruit, two figs, three prunes or one handful of dried banana chips.

Tinned fruit in natural juice

One portion is roughly the same quantity of fruit that you would eat for a fresh portion, such as two pear or peach halves, six apricot halves or eight segments of tinned grapefruit.

That is a lot more fruit than i eat in a day.

irish

"Spaghetti and noodles are made from grains and rice is a grain. "

The noodles, spaghetti and rice i am referring to are made from the Konjac plant. 

Konjac noodles is made out of 3% konjac fiber, and 97% water. Konjac is gluten free, wheat free, grain free, soy free, sugar free, allergy free...

It is also high in fibre.Konjac fiber is a water soluble fiber

http://konjacfoods.com/

Also see 

Okay I didn't think the post would copy over. The rest of it is "

konjac root. Leafy greens rich in protein, iron and vitamins.

irish

Ok. I'm not sure if i posted this here before. This is my second time to be diagnosed with prediabetes. The last time was in 2019. I believe my level was higher last time than this. I had been eating far too much icecream. I would say i am on a more stricter diet now, than i was then. BUT, that december.  i went on holiday to the philippines. I was there from 10th of December to 29th. 

When i came home I found lost at least a stone of weight. When i got my bloods checked again, i was no longer prediabetic.

So what was my diet like there?

Well, rice is a big part of the diet over there. Rice with breakfast. lunch and dinner. It was white rice. But I ate banana porridge from store.

At lunch, or dinner, i might get a scrambled egg, noodles, dried fish,  

For a drink, I think i usually had a glass of water, as I don't drink tea or coffee. But i was also drinking minerals.

I was being brought icecream such as choc ices. I can't remember exactly what they were.

Chicken and chips were being brought 2 or 3 times a week.

We went out maybe twice a week, and ate chicken, chips, minerals, 

?So why did i lose weight?

My guess. Well I guess the hot weather had a lot to with it.

Why did my prediabetes go away?

My guess. Because i lost weight, and because I had cut down on stuff. 

irish

Regarding fruit again  This website 

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/carbs-in-fruit/ 

goes along more with the answers I've been getting here.

I wont paste anything from here, as there is just too much information. But it confirms a lot of what responders to my post on this thread have said. It's up to me now, who I choose to believe. 

I will let you in know in october, what my blood test  results are, and whether I decided to continue my own route, or listen to the advice given here.

Thanks again, everybody.

"

adiantum

Hugs @irish,, you are from a similar gene pool  as me. D is right through my paternal & maternal families so missing it was unlikely.

I dont know what country your at so cant direct you to free meters or even low cost.

I've never paid for one & just ring SareSens & they post me one & have done that since dx 14yrs ago whenever I lose it or it dies.

In the US I believe Walmart are cheap  as is their test strips. 

Try ringing a meter company & see how you go as they make their money on test strips.

I cant explain why your BG was good after a Philipines vacation.. I'm convinced diabetes is greater then rocket science, as it just doesnt follow the guidelines. The only data I believe is that which my meter gives.

I'm thankful to this site as its saved my life. I always thought I ate well, I even followed the food triangle, but my body cant cope with those carbs.

I used to look forward to a day out in the country buying locally grown  fruit & veges at the farm gates. 

Then would go to the Sanitarium factory & stock up on their cereals marked as seconds so much cheaper then the shops.

The seconds could have more fruit, nuts, yougurt etc then the stipulated quantities, so ever so much better .

* sigh *  those days are over... but PlanB has me driving along the coast  & buying seafood at the fish co-ops.. Yay..PlanB's can be great.

I dont know of the konjac, so you have given me homework.

Ive been looking for easy low carb recipes for you .

A member used to post a site belonging to a headbanger & Oooooh he was a great cook, so I hope someone will post his site if I cant find it.

meyery2k

Irish - This helped me wrap my head around this.  Get a meter and strips.  Be ready to test several times a day.  You don't have to wait until October.  You can see the results as you go.

Wake up.

Test.  Note the result.  

If you wait a while to eat breakfast, test before breakfast, note the result.

Eat breakfast.  Eat what you believe to be the right breakfast for you.  As it has been pointed out, everyone is different.

2 hours after breakfast, test again.  Your goal is to be close to where you started.  A non-diabetic would accomplish that no matter what they ate.  They is what an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test shows.

If you do not go down near where you started, your either not producing enough insulin or you are resistant to the insulin you produce.

You might find at hour 3 or 4, if you test, you go LOWER than when you started.  While that seems great this is reactive hypoglcemia.  Eventually you produce a little too much insulin and this is the result.

Probably the best piece of advice that we seem to have overlooked is to eat to your meter.  Try and keep your BG as stable as you can through the day.  Eventually, you will learn what works for you and you won't have to test so much.

You have seen for yourself what diabetes can do if left unchecked.  There are many on this site that have maintained their halth for years simply by diet and exercise.  It is not a fad, it is not hype, they are facts.  I don't eat fruit.  I don't follow the diabetic advice by the association.  I can ride a bicycle 100 miles in a day on keto.  You do NOT need carbs.  You can use fat for energy.  The only exception is that your brain requires some glucose to function.  This is why we simply don't go for a glucose reading of 20.  It was very difficult to unlearn the food pyramid and I was extremely skeptical of this site.  I though I was in the midst of a bunch of "Atkin's kooks" at first.  I get it.  As I got to know people better, I began to trust.  I had nothing to lose at one point but glucose and obesity.  This site did it for me as far as education.  We don't offer a miracle.  We only offer, freely given, first hand experiences.  I look forward to you sharing what you experience with us.

adiantum

@irish , sorry about the typo.. that shouldve been CareSens. I dont know if theyre available in your country but theyre worth looking into  as I found  their meter to read the same as  the lab.

I have a CareSens N

4 hours ago, adiantum said:

I've never paid for one & just ring SareSens & they post

https://i-sens.com/blood-glucose-monitoring-system/

irish

adiantum

The country I'm is hinted at in my name ☺

"Ive been looking for easy low carb recipes for you "

Thank you for taking the time.

Meyer2yk

"Probably the best piece of advice that we seem to have overlooked is to eat to your meter. "

Pardon? ☺

meyery2k

The process of testing before and after eating is "eating to your meter".  It will provide great insight into how you work.  You may find you tolerate certain foods better than others.

Diabetes is complex.  There can be many reasons it manifests in people.