Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
irish

Advice required for other foods

irish

(1) Uncle Ben's boil in a bag wholegrain rice. (4 sachets of  125 gramme per box.

ingredients Parboiled Wholegrain Rice

Half a sachet is carbs 50 of which sugars 0.1

(2) MaLAI EXTRA CORN FLOUR (1KG BAG)

iNGREDIENTS -CORN FLOUR

cARBS PER 100 GRAMME OF WHICH SUGARS OF WHICH SUGARS 2.5

(3)dOLMIO PASTA SAUCE (340 GRAMMES)

iNGREDIENTS

Tomatoes (43%) Courgette (17%) Onion Tomato Paste (6.7%) Red Pepper Yellow Pepper Carrot Puree Basil (1.5%) Modified Maize Starch Carrot Puree Concentrate Sugar Salt Sunflower Oil Garlic Onion Powder (Roasted) Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid) Herb Spices

Carbs per portion is 11, of which sugars 7.1

TX_Clint

1. No-no.... Carbs minus some fiber is what you count. Get off the sugar thing. Don't even bother looking at sugar content. At best look at carbs minus fiber.

2. Same as 1.

3. Maybe if you go lite on the sauce. Maybe go half a serving. But then the question comes up as to what you're going to put the sauce on? Pasta is grain and very high in carbs. I use zoodles (zucchini spiraled noodles) or Shirataki Konjac noodles.

COUNT CARBS

adiantum

irish I'm sure if you tried cooking from scratch you'd enjoy the meal much  better  both  nutritionally & flavorsome.

get off the rice & pasta & try zuchini noodles or riced cauliflower.

You can easily make a nice sauce  just by browning ground beef, adding onions,garlic & tomato paste.

meyery2k

Don't go the other direction and try for zero carbs.  It is boring and not nutritious.  Try for 100g of carbs a day.  Get those carbs from non root vegetables and nuts.  Many of us here try for 50g or lower but that can be a tough goal so try for 100g.

Use things like ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, mayonnaise, and other high fat items for seasoning.  They also keep you full.  Simple carbs are burned off quickly and you will soon be hungry again.

Flour, grains, rice, sugar, fruit (sugar is sugar), pasta, and breads are simple carbs.  Even though they might not be sugar, they are converted rapidly to glucose, which is sugar, by your body.  Adapting to a fat burning diet vs. a carb burning diet has helped many here including me.  I used to be the guy that would take 5 minutes ordering at the drive thru.  Double cheese burger (largest on the menu), extra large fries, jalapeno poppers, and tacos (Jack in The Box if anyone cares lol).  Sometimes a large milkshake for dessert. It was not easy mentally to give that stuff up but it can be done.  I love good cheese and nuts.  Steak with butter on top, mushrooms cooked in the fat seasoned with salt, pepper, onion, and garlic, and a salad is a quick and great meal.

Look up keto meatloaf.  Ground beef and cheese seasoned right.  Beats Jack in the Box any day. :) 

halia

I maintain my preferred weight and avoid highs and lows. So now I low carb. Good thing is, boyfie is an excellent cook and makes tasty meals that aren’t high in carbs. I eat meat, fish, chicken, veggies, fruits mostly. He makes a killer minestrone which is often my lunch. I avoid white foods now.