Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
irish

Advice required for other foods

adiantum

This is just one of headbangers recipes that look good & easy.

https://headbangerskitchen.com/recipe/3-ingredient-egg-cup/

His headbanger kitchen site has a great varieto but not all are low carb. Read the carb content on each recipe.

https://headbangerskitchen.com/

Curried Cabbage is a fav of mine or even as a late night snack.

ingredients

olive oil , 1 onion, 4 stick celery. 4 cloves garlic
2 table spoons mild curry powder. 1table spoon vegetable or chicken stock powder
1Litre water.
1 potato cut into bite sized pieces,  4 or 5  or even 6 cups cabbage cut roughly.
I use as much as available, usually   3/4 large cabbage or 1 mini cabbage

Slightly cover the base of a pot with olive oil. add chopped onion & celery & garlic & cook slightly known as sweat,  but not brown.
Add curry powder mix, add stock powder . add water & stir well
add cabbage. Cover  with pot lid & allow to cook over low heat until cabbage is cooked...maybe 25mins

isee
On 5/13/2021 at 12:21 AM, meyery2k said:

Irish - This helped me wrap my head around this.  Get a meter and strips.  Be ready to test several times a day.  You don't have to wait until October.  You can see the results as you go.

Wake up.

Test.  Note the result.  

If you wait a while to eat breakfast, test before breakfast, note the result.

Eat breakfast.  Eat what you believe to be the right breakfast for you.  As it has been pointed out, everyone is different.

2 hours after breakfast, test again.  Your goal is to be close to where you started.  A non-diabetic would accomplish that no matter what they ate.  They is what an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test shows.

If you do not go down near where you started, your either not producing enough insulin or you are resistant to the insulin you produce.

You might find at hour 3 or 4, if you test, you go LOWER than when you started.  While that seems great this is reactive hypoglcemia.  Eventually you produce a little too much insulin and this is the result.

Probably the best piece of advice that we seem to have overlooked is to eat to your meter.  Try and keep your BG as stable as you can through the day.  Eventually, you will learn what works for you and you won't have to test so much.

You have seen for yourself what diabetes can do if left unchecked.  There are many on this site that have maintained their halth for years simply by diet and exercise.  It is not a fad, it is not hype, they are facts.  I don't eat fruit.  I don't follow the diabetic advice by the association.  I can ride a bicycle 100 miles in a day on keto.  You do NOT need carbs.  You can use fat for energy.  The only exception is that your brain requires some glucose to function.  This is why we simply don't go for a glucose reading of 20.  It was very difficult to unlearn the food pyramid and I was extremely skeptical of this site.  I though I was in the midst of a bunch of "Atkin's kooks" at first.  I get it.  As I got to know people better, I began to trust.  I had nothing to lose at one point but glucose and obesity.  This site did it for me as far as education.  We don't offer a miracle.  We only offer, freely given, first hand experiences.  I look forward to you sharing what you experience with us.

Hammer

Irish, most doctors have no idea of what a diabetic needs to eat, they just listen to the garbage that the American Diabetes Association (ADA) spews out, and that information is WRONG!  If you were to adhere to what the ADA recommends that you eat, you will have severe complications.

The people here are more knowledgeable than most doctors, when it comes to eating habits.  When you get your glucose meter, test yourself right before you eat, then two hours after you've eaten (what we call eating to your meter), and that will tell you what the food you ate did to your glucose levels.  Only then will you know which foods to eat, and which foods to avoid.  If your after meal reading is close to your before meal reading, then the food you ate is safe for you to eat, but if the after meal reading is a lot higher than your before meal reading, you need to avoid those foods.

You need to avoid all types of cereal, including oatmeal, you need to avoid all types of pasta, rice, potatoes, bread and fruits, and anything starchy...like corn, peas, lima beans and any type of bean  Those are all high in carbs.  You also need to stay away from anything that is high in saturated fat.  You can eat fish, beef, pork, veal, chicken, most types of seafood, and green, leafy vegetables.

I don't know if they have Wal-Mart's in your country, but if they do, get yourself a cheap Relion Prime meter, and the Relion test strips for it, as well as the lancing device and the lancets for it.