Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
lewsterr

Cost Of Meds To Control Type 2

lewsterr

I've been on Metformin and Glyburide for a number of years.  Recently, my sugars have been out of control.  If I don't take the Glyburide, I am way over 200 (250-275).  When I take the lowest dose of Glyburide (2.5mg), it usually helps but then after 4-6 hours I can be in the 40s.  A few months ago, I was at the grocery store and started hallucinating. I thought quickly and dived into a box of donuts at the bakery counter, which helped tremendously (it also satisfied my donut craving).  One morning, I woke up at 3:00 a.m. in a sweat and was at 60.  I refuse to take the Glyburide anymore and figure it's safer just to run high.

My PCP is recommending Trulicity, Ozempic, or Byetta.  These run between $700-$900/month.  I am on medicare and most of the drug companies don't give medicare recipients discounts and, if they do, it isn't much.  I'm checking into Canadian pharmacies.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  

adiantum

Hi lewster... wow you are really on a rollercoaster.

I'm not any help when it comes to meds as I'm still med free after 13+ years but others here are on trulicity.

Do you watch your carb intake or just depend on the meds to keep control?

I have so many allergies to meds that it is necessary for me to realise control is up to me , so diet & exercise is the safest way for me.

At those prices you mention, I'd be saying my wallet was allergic to meds.

lewsterr

Hi adiantum.  Thank you for the reply.  It has been about 10 years since I have been on this forum.  This is my first posting since then.  I definitely have been watching my carbs.  As a matter of fact, I cut my portions down to about 25% of what I've been eating.  I walk around hungry all day.  My readings will be fine one day after eating something, and the next day it would go sky high after eating the exact same thing.  My PCP made an appointment for an endocrinologist for me, but there's a three month wait to see him.  Oh well...

Like you, I also do not like taking meds.  Fortunately, I take very few.  It sounds like you are doing everything right to keep your diabetes under control.  I put my gym membership on hold for 6 months due to the pandemic.  I'll be going back next month.  Hopefully, that will help stabilize things just a bit.  

Keep up the good work, adiantum.  If you know of any special foods that help you, please let me know.

adiantum

Oh I am not all that good  as I've been slipping off the wagon & not even seen my doctor until recently.

She's reminded me that I'll have to go on meds if my A1c ever goes over 7 , so its time to get back into caring for me.

I dont do gyms but walk the dog , garden & yard work .

If I didnt post here daily with my fasting  BG , I'm sure I'd soon forget I had D

Home cooked foods are  the best for sure & with a high fat content  to keep the hunger pangs away.

Being hungry isnt for me.. in desperation I'll grab a chunk of cheese & even a large glass of water.  .

My latest fav dishes ...

I fill a large  dish with cut up veges & bake . Mostly pumpkin, brussel sprouts, parsley, onion, choko/chayote, zuchini  etc & lots of olive oil & spices.

This is also yummy.

Fry  chopped onion & spread across  dish. Fry slices eggplant in olive oil & spread over onions, then spoon reduced salt tomato soup over eggplant, then grated cheese.

Add another layer of  cooked eggplant, tomato soup & top with grated cheese. Bake  until the cheese melts. Its even better the next day.

Keep in touch as others have more experience with meds.

Dowling
10 hours ago, lewsterr said:

Hi adiantum.  Thank you for the reply.  It has been about 10 years since I have been on this forum.  This is my first posting since then.  I definitely have been watching my carbs.  As a matter of fact, I cut my portions down to about 25% of what I've been eating.  I walk around hungry all day.  My readings will be fine one day after eating something, and the next day it would go sky high after eating the exact same thing.  My PCP made an appointment for an endocrinologist for me, but there's a three month wait to see him.  Oh well...

Like you, I also do not like taking meds.  Fortunately, I take very few.  It sounds like you are doing everything right to keep your diabetes under control.  I put my gym membership on hold for 6 months due to the pandemic.  I'll be going back next month.  Hopefully, that will help stabilize things just a bit.  

Keep up the good work, adiantum.  If you know of any special foods that help you, please let me know.

There's no need to walk around hungry. That's not a good thing and it won't help with control because your liver will keep dumping  glucose. That's why you go high and low and never have control.

The best thing is to eat smaller low carb meals more often. I keep my carbs to around 100 a day and some go lower than that and are never hungry. Look up keto recipes and never cheat until you have your BG under control. I'll give you an example of a low carb day of meals.

Breakfast

An omelet with vegetables like Peppers, spinach and mushrooms with maybe a small bit of ham  and cheese or scrambled eggs and bacon or sausage or a muffin in a cup with almond flour and flax meal.

Mid morning snack

Low carb yogurt-- I like source vanilla but it comes in other flavors-the small cups have 5 carbs and good fat

Lunch--

Make your own low carb soup--you can freeze what you don't eat in individual containers for future meals or have a lettuce sandwich or a chefs salad with cooked chicken or other meat and boiled eggs and cheese.

Mid afternoon snack

A handful of nuts and a piece of cheese.

Dinner--Meat or fish and a salad or cheesy cauliflower. I but frozen riced cauliflower, thaw and put it in a casserole dish. I add a dash of real cream and mix in1/2 cup of grated cheese. Spread more cheese on top and bake until hot and cheese is melted. Leftovers can be frozen or you can do a vegetable medley to have with your meat

This example has low carbs and good fat and should have you full all day.

Because I live alone I make my freezer work for me. If I cook a roast or chicken I slice it and freeze in individual portions. I buy more than 1 package of sausage.  I make up hamburgers, Cook both and freeze in individual servings. I do the same with many things. It only takes thawing and nuking for a quick meal.

What I did when I first started was to look up low carb high fat recipes and try any that appealed to me. I'd try them and if they were good I saved them in a binder. I tried adapting some favorites to low carb. It didn't always work but I counted the failures as a learning experience but now I have a binder full of tried and true recipes. I'm never tempted to eat the carby stuff

Edited by Dowling

meyery2k

If you are willing to post some of the meals you eat, we might be able to help.  When I was getting all this dialed in some things I thought would be low carb aren't.  Read those labels.  Make sure the carbs you do consume are complex carbs like nuts and non-root vegetables.

Fruit is something that initially surprised me because I was told it was "great for me".  Sugar is sugar.  Milk was another gotcha due to the lactose which is a type of sugar.

Grains, flour, rice, bread, pasta, and many root vegetables are all simple carbs (strach) and are broken down into glucose quickly.

You may know this already and, if so, please forgive me.  It is just that now I have an everyday routine I forget that some of my knowledge was hard learned and an unexpected surprise.