Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Goolsbee

Treatment Induced Neuropathy or Diabetic Neuritis

Goolsbee

Hello - I'm searching for anyone who is T2 or T1 who has experienced treatment induced neuropathy or diabetic neuritis.  It is when someone brings down their A1c in a very quick time period.  My husband is T2 and he has had two c-peptide tests done to confirm that he is T2.  The endo stated that his pain 'should' go away after his body adjusts.  I'm not sure.  And I'm not finding a lot of information on the internet about TIND or diabetic neuritis.  Does the pain go away or improve with time.  My husband has done well with keeping his bs in control.  He was in the hospital in January for DKA after getting back on meds.  He had been off for a while and tried to control it with just eating right.  He had lost his medical insurance a few years back and that is how he got off meds.  When he came out of the hospital, he was on insulin shots and Rybelsus.  He changed insulin 3 times thinking he was having a reaction to it.  He is now off insulin and just takes Metformin and Glimepiride.  The pain is still there.  His thighs burn as well as his stomach and part of his torso.   He is seeing an Endo and a neurologist.  He's had blood work and MRI.  MRI is clear and bloodwork only shows high thyroid level.  EMG is in June.  It's hard for him to wear clothing.  He lives in his underwear and robe.  Sleeping is difficult and thankfully he can work from home.  He was given Gabapentin which didn't do anything for him.  Then he was given Cymbalta and Lyrica.  But he doesn't want to take those knowing of how hard they are to come off and the bad side effects.  Has anyone ever gone through this and any idea of what this can be?

meyery2k

Welcome!  I wish I could provide an answer.  My only experience was that I had many things going on that changed for the better when I learned I had diabetes and started to manage.  It took a little time to adjust but things got better (noticeably my vision and energy levels).  

We all help each other out here so, I am sure if someone has an answer, they will offer it. ~ Mike

adiantum

Hello Goosbee. Welcome to the forum.  Ive not heard of treatment induced neuropathy so cant comment on it.

Years before I was diagnosed with diabetes I had neuropathy in my feet & thighs .

I struggled with a few d related issues until I changed doctors who dx d  with  an A1c 11

I joined this forum that same day & reduced my carbs to 50g a day & by the next lab work ( A1c7 )   the neuropathy  pain had gone leaving a slight numbness on my thighs.  That eventually disappeared  but returns very mildly occasionally if I over indulge in carbs.

I've not been on meds longer the 1 week so  Its just diet for me.

Eurotoff

Some common treatments involve physical therapy, surgery, and injections for increased nerve pressure. You can also use over-the-counter painkillers. Actually, treatment for peripheral neuropathy depends on the cause. 

halia
On 5/4/2021 at 11:00 AM, Eurotoff said:

Some common treatments involve physical therapy, surgery, and injections for increased nerve pressure. You can also use over-the-counter painkillers. Actually, treatment for peripheral neuropathy depends on the cause. 

I agree with this, however, it is best to consult your doctor about this.

stevenal

The treatment induced neuropathy I've heard of is when metformin affects one's ability to absorb B12. The blood level can be checked easily when getting an A1C or other blood test done. Supplementing with extra B12 can help if this is the problem. 

An alpha lipoic acid supplement can help cure (not just mask) neuropathy. Dr. Bernstein discusses both of these in his book: http://www.diabetes-book.com/diabetes-solution/. I think he would also take issue with the Glimepiride.