Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
rachealbrown11

Yoga help for diabetes

rachealbrown11

There are a number of studies that indicates the positive impact of yoga in helping maintain the healthy blood sugar level in people. However, it is very important to note that doing yoga can only help maintain diabetes and cannot help in curing it completely. The science behind yoga in helping with diabetes is that it helps control and manage stress in people. This further lowers the cortisol level in the human body which is great for helping people with diabetes issue. Some of the yoga poses that you can do for maintaining blood sugar level in people are-

• legs up the wall pose
  • supported shoulder stand
  • bow pose
  • plow pose
  • seated forward bend 

ArrowAntoinette

Absolutely true. I've been doing Yoga and it helps to gain more energy and have brighter moods. This made me deal with my illness positively 😃

Dowling

Any exercise helps with diabetes but there are some things that go a step further. The part of Yoga that helps is the slow movement and breathing. In that way it is much like meditation or Tai Chi. All help you to relax, lower your blood pressure and give you a feeling of well being. Tai Chi is what I recommend for seniors or anyone who has a problem with mobility. Tai Chi and Yoga Also help stretch and loosen muscles. I caution those that are trying both to do it slowly and only do as much as you are able to do at first then grow on that as time goes on.

I joined a Tai Chi class at my community center and find that it helps with balance too. The slow movements are almost like a dance but it moves your muscles in your whole body and keeps you supple. Breathing slowly and evenly plays a big part too and that lowers your blood pressure and gives you a feeling of well being.

halia

I do yoga, but I do it to try and maintain the lasts shreds of flexibility in my otherwise unbending body. I assume it may also help with diabetes BG control as it is physical exercise and some of the more demanding postures can leave you sweating and breathing heavily. It also helps reduce stress, which is another bonus. Go for it on general principles - it will make you feel better.