Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

paisan1958

neuropathy treatment

paisan1958

I am new to this forum group.I was wondering about effective treatments for diabetic neuropathy.I keep my blood sugars under good control.Appreciate any advice Thank you :-)

Dowling
4 hours ago, paisan1958 said:

I am new to this forum group.I was wondering about effective treatments for diabetic neuropathy.I keep my blood sugars under good control.Appreciate any advice Thank you 🙂

Hi, Welcome to the forum

What do you mean by good control? That could mean one thing to one person and another to someone else. We go by our hbA1C and eating to our meter to keep it low. I'd say a hbA1c under 6 is good control.

I've never had diabetic neuropathy but I've heard others here say that theirs went away once they got their blood glucose under control. Diabetic neuropathy  is damage to the nerves from high blood glucose. Lowering your glucose allows the nerves to heal.

You might try a foot massager to stimulate blood circulation. Often neuropathy goes hand in hand with poor circulation. Massage stimulates blood supply and helps reduce the pain. You don't have to go with the most expensive. Try a hand held one with heat first to see if it helps before you sink big money into a hands free one. I think Walmart has a heated hand held one for around $30

adiantum

Welcome paisan,

There are meds that are designed  for neuropathy but I've not heard of any successful stories of them.

I had neuropathy long before diagnosed with D 

The worst was biseps region from my knees up the outside of my legs yet the soles of my feet hurt pretty bad too.

It was the 4th doctor I went to that diagnosed D when my A1c was 11. She gave me 3 months option to go low carb or start meds.

My next A1c was 7 & three months later it was 6.1 so Ive not taken meds  & its been 13 years.

My feet  have recovered,  although theres still the slightest numbness on my legs but its only noticible if I deliberately touch for it.

If its in your feet, then avoid heated foot pads as you wont have  the awareness of the exact heat so could burn.

This is not a diet but a necessary  nutritional pattern  that needs to be addressed.

The variety & food choices are excellent so theres no feeling of despair.

Early stages of keeping carbs down to 100g per day is a great start knowing it can be reduced later if necessary.

There will always be someone here to help you so dont feel alone.

~Lee

stevenal

Dr. Bernstein recommends an alpha lipoic acid supplement (as well as diet) for neuropathy. The prescription meds only help with pain and not the condition. 

adiantum

Alpha-lipoic acid is a vitamin-like chemical called an antioxidant. Yeast, liver, kidney, spinach, broccoli, and potatoes are good sources of alpha-lipoic acid. It is also made in the laboratory for use as medicine.

Alpha-lipoic acid is most commonly used for nerve pain in people with diabetes (diabetic neuropathy). High doses of alpha-lipoic acid are approved in Germany for the treatment of these nerve-related symptoms. It is also used for high levels of cholesterol or other fats (lipids) in the blood (hyperlipidemia) and obesity.

How does it work ?

Alpha-lipoic acid seems to help prevent certain kinds of cell damage in the body, and also restores vitamin levels such as vitamin E and vitamin C. There is also evidence that alpha-lipoic acid can improve the function and conduction of neurons in diabetes.

Alpha-lipoic acid is used in the body to break down carbohydrates and to make energy for the other organs in the body.

Alpha-lipoic acid seems to work as an antioxidant, which means that it might provide protection to the brain under conditions of damage or injury. The antioxidant effects might also be helpful in certain liver diseases.

adiantum

Neuropathy can be so bad that Ive heard of a woman trod on a matchbox car & wasnt aware that it  had embedded within the flesh.

An old post  also refers to another incident in which a woman had broken bones but didnt feel it  .. amputation was required.

"........Part 2: Waiting in the lobby was a heavy woman in a wheelchair. The front half of her foot had been amputated and she had metal pins (4 of them) sticking out of both sides of her legs about 6" and 4" above the ankle. She proceeds to tell me a few years ago she had broken a bone in her foot but because of having no feeling due to her diabetic neuropathy she never felt it so she never told her doctor. Well in due time the bone came right out of the skin so she had to have amputation, have pins inserted, move into assisted living and have PT basically forever........"

stevenal

I'm pretty sure alpha lipoid acid would be a waste of money for amputees continuing to indulge in Kit Kat or any other sugar consumption. Paisan says he's well controlled, so it may be helpful.