Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

irish

low blood pressure-Any significance?

irish

Hi. Recently saw doctor because of bacterial infection. He said my blood pressure was a bit on the low side. I think I saw 85 or 86 over something.

Actually this was when my infection was clearing up, cough wise. But I had a sharp pain in my back, and feeling weak in myself.  

I should say that since being diagnosed with prediabetes in april (next test October), my waistline has had a slight decease of 41 to a little below 39. Doctor said my feeling weak, was probably due to low blood pressure. 

I also take Bisoprolol, although very low dosage ie half a 1;25 mg tablet. I';m supposed to take it every day. But sometimes I take it every second day, I'm just trying to delay when I have to buy them again. Ha ha.

I'm feeling a lot better now.

Anyway. Does my blood pressure level drop mean  anything good or bad as regards my blood sugar level. 

I have an appointment on 14th to see doctor. I'll get him to check my BP again.

Dowling

Hi

Don't scrimp on your BP meds. Find a way to take them every day. Very low BP is as dangerous as high BP. I don't think low BP has much to do with blood glucose. It may be that your infection caused your BP to drop but until you know for sure take your BP meds every day.

Normal BP is 120/80

Edited by Dowling

irish

Thanks. In case you don't know  Bisoprolol, is for high blood pressure, and heart failure.

adiantum

Hey there irish... there was a post recenty from @Hammer about his bp lowering since he lost weight.. I hope he sees your post.

There was a correlation on BP with weight loss & lower BG.

I'm glad your seeing your doctor on Wednesday & hope he can advise you.

Hammer

Yes, as I lost weight, my BP dropped, but I never gave it a thought that, gaining weight usually results in an increase in BP, so it would make sense that losing weight would result in a lowering of your BP.  By losing weight (50 pounds so far), my BP dropped, but I kept taking the same two BP medications, which resulted in my BP dropping too low. (79 over 53....81 over 48.)  I would get light headed every time I stood up, and I felt like I was going to pass out.  My friend told me that I was as pale as a ghost, and when she told me that, I knew that my BP had to be too low.  I checked it when I got home, and it was too low....79 over 53.  I stopped taking my BP medications, and I watched my BP, and since stopping my BP medications, my BP is in the normal range.  My glucose levels have also dropped.  I was taking 78 units of Lantus insulin every night, and now I'm down to 12 units of Lantus every night.  I'll be curious to see how my other lab results are, when I have my next doctor's appointment in October.

Dowling

Hammer Do you think your glucose dropped because you lost weight or because your BP was low? It would seem to me that the weight loss would have more to do with blood glucose lowering and low blood pressure than low blood pressure causing low glucose levels but I'd like your opinion

irish

Thanks folks. Appreciate all the input. Will let you know outcome of discussion with doctor.